Re: Airboating Do & Don'ts..a handbook

Postby charlieMJ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Wow, Exallent Information here. Great for a newbie like me! :toothy7:

Waggin
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Waggin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 am

Lotsa good info, thank's
2012 Bud Built Barracuda 11', Dual Stick Controls, ZZ4 aluminum head crate motor and two blade water walker on steel rigging 4412 2 bbl

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby MarshRider » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 pm

The current edition of Marsh Rider magazine has an entire section devoted
to all the information in this and the first aid thread.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THESE THREADS.

I"m happy to send a complimentary copy of the magazine
to anyone who does not subscribe.

EMAIL ME AT: marshridermagazine@gmail.com
with your name and address.

Bonnie
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

Waggin
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Waggin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 am

If you ride with your dog and he needs to be on a leash...hook it to your beltloop not to the boat
2012 Bud Built Barracuda 11', Dual Stick Controls, ZZ4 aluminum head crate motor and two blade water walker on steel rigging 4412 2 bbl

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Alpal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:38 am

Don't forget to open fuel tank breather. Loss of engine power means loss of steering. Suddenly we were going sideways at speed with a nearly stopped engine. Scarey stuff.

jb96
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jb96 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Throttle is your friend if you get in trouble dont let off the gas most new people forget this. There is a very good possibility that you will flip if you let of the thottle if the grass or mud catches you in a trail. Also make sure you keep all your rope tied up and away from the prop

Hogrydr
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Hogrydr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:23 pm

What a great thread !!!!!!!!! Very valuable Information ........Thanks

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:06 am

Since the objective here is preventing the next guy from committing an OOPS!,
I will add the one thing that I didn't really see expanded on.

There was mention of having a chain on the fuel cap, and it is pretty widely agreed that air cleaner covers deserve the same treatment, but what about everything else that may be taken on or off the engine on a semi-regular basis that is not safety chained?

In this case, I refer to the oil filler cap on the valve cover. Was adding oil one time before going out and the phone rang, so I put down the oil and ran to the house to answer the phone . . . . Fast forward twenty minutes, idled up the river, just got on a plane and 1) BAM!! 2) Shut down 3) run to the bow 4) start doing this :scratch:

After looking around at everything, I finally came to the realization that I left the filler cap on top of the air cleaner. Made a nice hole in the side of the cage where it made its direct exit. Luckily it bothered my prop less than it bothered me. Now the cage looks like it has a missing tooth. :lol: Never did fix it . . . now it serves as a reminder.

The simple solution . . . now when I take that cap off, I set it on top of my tachometer which is right next to the key. Then you can't start it without it becoming obvious what you almost forgot. This will work for just about anything temporarily removed from the engine or elsewhere. Also good place to hang plugs if you need to trailer your boat.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Hogrydr
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Hogrydr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:26 pm

I'd like to say thanks for this great list also ...When I posted a couple months ago about getting a :toothy7: airboat this list was recommended and I copied it in a notebook and read it multiple times ...then I got a copy of the Dec 12/Jan2013 Marsh Rider and have it on my desk for reference ....Thanks again to all the contributors !!!! And thanks to Marsh Rider for the Mag ...that I did subscribe to ....:D

Swamper470
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamper470 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Newbie airboater here, although I have been bass fishing out of a boat for a long time. Great thread! Planning to do some frog gigging soon.
13' 6" Cottonmouth, 0-470-L, Sensenich 72" 3 bld H Series

KRVSA Member
http://www.krvsa.com/

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Still a great thread lets keep it going
BRAB45 RRAB 17

Pantera
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Pantera » Mon May 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Old boater - New air boat owner: thank ya'll for compiling these Do's and Don'ts, there are hundreds of years worth of like experiences offered herein. Note to self come back to this page to refresh! Ride safe ya'll

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lilly-Pad » Tue May 03, 2016 4:32 am

Pantera wrote:Old boater - New air boat owner: thank ya'll for compiling these Do's and Don'ts, there are hundreds of years worth of like experiences offered herein. Note to self come back to this page to refresh! Ride safe ya'll

Welcome to SA and welcome to the addiction that is airboating........................................................... :cheers: :cheers: :old_glory: :usa:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Read every post, just hope I can remember it all.

Pantera
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Pantera » Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 am

Old boater, new air boat pilot finds this page enlightening. Thanks to all contributors! Interested in purchasing the manual.

Onearmgary
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: RE: Re: Airboating Do & Don'ts..a handbook

Postby Onearmgary » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Pantera wrote:Old boater, new air boat pilot finds this page enlightening. Thanks to all contributors! Interested in purchasing the manual.

Don't know if it's been covered or not but checking the water/fuel separator and running lights. Also, you need a headlight or q beam even if you don't plan on riding at night. Getting caught without one makes for a long slow ride home. Unless the moon is full
AirHog wrote:Good list so far, Consider this as well:

Carry a machete just in case you have to walk out of the swamp.
Extra oil in case you spring a leak.
Cary a fire starter kit or waterproof matches
Keep a tarp in the boat in case you break down and need to get out of the sun.
Tow rope for pulling out a stuck boat.
Carry extra fuel in case you run short coming back to the ramp. Secure it well. (learned this the hard way in blue cypress)
Keep a push pole in the boat for dead end trails with high sides where you can't do a 180.
Consider a folding shovel.. .doubles as a paddle.
Basic tool box with tie wraps, tape, wrenches, sockets and extra bolts and wire.
First aid kit that includes insect repellant, sun screen, and benadryil.
Alcohol wipes are good for the first aid kit as well.
Keep the small items in a boat bag that goes with the boat each time.

cntry141iq wrote:absolutely always everytime ... take a minute to do a pre-boat inspection before you unload off the trailer and when you put it back on the trailer ...

and if you notice a new vibration or noise ... FIND IT .. if it is nothing then you can laugh about it ... but if it is important and you don't find it .. your first noticable hint may be a disaster

nothin in that cage is worth your life .. not hats not sunglasses not cell phones .. nothin .. nothin... if it goes in there it belongs to the prop until you stop the boat and shut it down and kill the batteries.

Just like a race car I had said on it ... danger .. operation of this machne will kill you. not unsafe not careless just plain ole operation ...

drive safe have fun and stay alive with all your limbs attached ... the prop ALWAYS WINS ... everytime

Night rider wrote:Make sure everything on the motor is tie wired to the motor or bolted to it. A breather going threw the prop will pucker you especialy if it's your brand new prop that eats it!! Always check your belts for fraying and keep a spare on the boat if they brake it will toast your enigine.

Also always make sure you take up the slack in you spark plug wires. If you suck one of those thru the prop while on dry you are going to have fun getting off! :shock: Also when you are doing your boat check make sure that the bilge pumps are working it hard to bail out an airboat.

Thats about all that I've done that needs to be added

Dave

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Onearmgary
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: RE: Re: Airboating Do & Don'ts..a handbook

Postby Onearmgary » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 pm

cntry141iq wrote:LOL yeah I was gonna callem sash weights but I knew that would throwem a curve for sure.

I didn't realize i was all that old but now that I think about it and how many would know what a sash weight is, I would agree.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:57 am

2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

TDezso
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TDezso » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 am

Don't know if it has been covered, and I know this is an ancient thread. But make sure your fires are out when leaving an area and be mindful of your prop wash. There could still be embers to blow into dry grass. Hate to see this happen. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Return to “Airboat Safety”