What prop for duel port 1600cc VW (50-60hp)??

Airboat propeller discussion.
Tbone2711
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Tbone2711 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:15 pm

I got a stock duel ports single carb VW 1600cc. From what i've gathered it'll be putting out roughly 55HP :scratch:
It's going on a home built 11'2X6'9 Fiberglass hull (Hull alone, 250lbs maybe :dontknow: ). And it's pretty much flat across the bottom (I know it's not %100 flat) I have steel engine stand, And pancake conduit cage(Maybe 150lbs) I'm looking to make it a Hunting/Gigging boat. (Might sup it up later to run the hill)
I was just wondering what prop to go with? I know theres a thousand variations. Just would like somewhere to start. And, If anyone has built a similar boat, I would love some pics/Specs/Pros/Cons about it. I'll post some pics when i have some.

P.S I'm prolly gonna be blowing this site up for info :toothy7:

Thanks in advance!

:rebel:
Im so poor if i stepped on a worn out dime i'd bet you a nickle i could tell whether its heads or tails

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

You def Need to talk to cntry!

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: What prop for duel port 1600cc VW (50-60hp)??

Postby john1edwards » Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

if its direct drive 52long 28 pitch, but you will not get 55 hp out of it dd.
Just an Orange Engine, Nothing Fancy . Proud to be an American

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby john1edwards » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 pm

this is the one I built

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 pm

you are gonna be closer to 35 /40 hp max if direct drive .. plus if you mount prop to pulley side you gonna lose your doghouse fan ... your gonna lose the oil cooler in there and the little bushing for the pulley is not gonna live long but neither wiill the engine without cooling tins on the cylinders .. but that is only what I found out .. your experience might be different .. keep us posted
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Tbone2711
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Tbone2711 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 pm

@ John1Edwards Hows the boat run? Got plenty of power for 2 people to ride? Whats fuel usage like? And i got a prop today for free. It's at a buddys house. But, I believe it's a 50/28 actually? Maybe.... I'll have to give it a look. It was free, So i ain't complaining!

@Cntry141iq Yea, I know im not gonna get all that outta a DD, Im just saying that's what the engine it's self should produce.... Or at least i think. Never messed with VW before. And I've heard bad about mounting the prop pully side, So thats gonna be a no go. And, If i was to run a reduction unit on it, What would be a good ratio? Any ideas, Like 2-1? Or something a little more complicated?(Everything is complicated :scratch: ) Im Not looking for a speed demon, Or to run the hill. I really, just for now would like a gig boat, And something that i can hunt the river on. If i can make it run a lil dry with just me, For cheap somehow, Im all EARS haha. My o'l Kickers gotta have 2Ft+ to run in lol. And, Im pretty much doing this whole project for free. Just Misc stuff. I got the hull, Rigging, Cage, Rudders, Teleflex, Seats, Engine, And prop for free pretty much. (Traded an old 4wheeler engine for the VW)

Thanks guys. You all have an extremely vast amount of information, theres no way in hell i could find all this out on my own!
Im so poor if i stepped on a worn out dime i'd bet you a nickle i could tell whether its heads or tails

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

well I have two reductions left .. they are 2 to 1 .. as for your free prop ?? make sure it is a right hand if going on pulley side .. and it must be left hand if going on flywheel side .. reductions are not cheap .. one of my two I have left will set you back 1400 .. but the starter mounts on it .. and it has the prop adapter on it .. and you can get all 55/60 hp out of your engine .. just need to add a few more safety/longevity things .. like an extra oil cooler besides the one in the doghouse fan box .. an extra sump on the oil pan so you have more oil .. keep the cooling tins on the cylinders so it doesn't maybe run as hot as quick ..

go to you tube and type in VW GROUND .. that is mine running a 1/4 mile of dry green grass in a pasture and up a hill ..
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Tbone2711
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Tbone2711 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Ok. Well, The prop came off a VW and it was mounted on the flywheel, So it must be left hand, Or, That's what i was told, i haven't looked at it. And, would it be possible to build a belt reduction for it? Some kind of plate that mounts to the engine with a pulley system on it? Im thinking that would just be a big headache.... I mean, Im not dead set on making it a bad little boat. I understand that you get what you pay for, And considering im going to have next to nothing in it to start with(Next to nothing airboat wise :lol: ), Im not expecting too much. But, Like i said. If there is any little tricks/Tweeks that ya'll know about, I would love to hear them. And thanks for the info Cntry. Probably already saved me money and time lol Like i said, I know very little about these engines, At all haha. How do you think it will do on the hull i mentioned? 11'2/6'9 it feels kind of heavy. But, I can pick it up and move it around myself, So it can't be to awful heavy.
Thanks again

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby flying fish » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 am

I like the recution idea. cntry has one. :)

wonder if you will be quite unhappy without the reduction??
17X8 DB - 6.2 LSA - 2.52 CH-4 - 4 blade 84" Whispertip Ex

Tbone2711
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Tbone2711 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Flying Fish, I'm gonna run it dd for a while, just so i can gig. Gonna have to be careful, Or wear some waders lol. But, Who knows, I might come across another motor while im deciding on what i really want to do. Just gonna go with the flow for now, Im ready to ride!

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby flying fish » Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 am

Bet your boat will be fun.

I ran a 532 rotax w/a 2.58 to 1 reduction on a 14' John boat for several years. Saw lots of cool stuff in that boat. Ran the Red above Texhoma a lot and the Illinois above Tinkiller also real regular.
The Illinois above Tinkiller was a real nice view. :)

That was when it did not cost so much to travel. I remember gas being quite a bit less than a dollar a gallon when I was running around pulling that boat.

I had a couple of 6 gallon tanks for the rotax. Thought the rotax was a gas pig back then
17X8 DB - 6.2 LSA - 2.52 CH-4 - 4 blade 84" Whispertip Ex

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby john1edwards » Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 am

I built that boat to heavy, I eventually went to a 1.77 reduction drive, and got a lighter boat it worked well. Direct drive i had a hard time getting on a plane in deep water. but if I built another one I would do it diferently. There is a guy in orlando that built them out of plywood. he claims it would run the hill direct drive. I believe it, but it would have to be super light, and it was probably scary to drive, not to much boat.

sharknaboe123
Southern Airboat Member

Postby sharknaboe123 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm

whats the negative on running on the pulley side compared to the Fly wheel side? and if i have it on the puley side how to does a reduction belt work with the alternator there????

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby happy harold » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:45 am

several years ago i saw one of the boys in 3-A running a vw reduction. he was running with the big boys. his reduction was fron the older VW bus/camper rear axle. its something you might want to explore if you are going to be running the bad rough. as for which side to hook your prop for direct drive, i've seen them both ways. there are a couple of places on here who make and sell props for your engine. you might contact them with your questions for their knowledge on this subject.

Return to “Prop Talk”