New Build EcoTec Turbo 2.4 (First build want advice)

Airboat propeller discussion.
DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

New Build EcoTec Turbo 2.4 (First build want advice)

Postby DuckNutt » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Just sold my boat and I'm lining up everything for new build. I'm going with a 350 hp EcoTec 2.4 to go on a 14 x 8 or 15 x 8 Alumitech open hull. I want to go Ox drive and Sensenich 4 blade. I'm building a hunt boat mainly for skinny water ducks on Lake O and absolutely want to have ability to run dry in places like Micco. Looking for advice on 3 or 4 blade and what type? I want and use more low end bull dozing than speed. My buddies are telling me that motor and drive match can easy handle a four blade. I want to do this right with a lot of thought before I start mailing checks. I will be 75% running skinny water n brush vs 25% running dry. Advice on these questions
1. What ratio in Ox for this set up and how do I get in contact with Ox Drive?
2. Three vs four blade and what type? NGQ, NGS, etc
3. Is there going to be noticeable difference in going with 15 over 14 foot boat (push/dry ability)?
Thanx fellas

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: New Build EcoTec Turbo 2.4 (First build want advice)

Postby Deano » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:13 pm

I may be showing my ignorance here (something I'm used to) but have you confirmed that the engine you propose using will bolt directly to an Ox Box? It very well may for all I know, but all of them do not. I believe that Ballistic is making boxes that bolt right up to (at least) some of them. Whether that pertains to that engine or not, I don't know.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:26 pm

I think it would take a steep box ratio to adequately run a 4blade on 350 HP. Similar setups are running 3 blades with 2.37. I'm personally going to run a 2 blade measuring 80inch long by 15inch wide. If stuff goes wrong I'd rather only have 2headaches to repair as opposed to 3 or 4 and my setup should do just what I want with my 400 hp motor and 2.37 box.

I don't see why you would want to run anything bigger than a
14ft unless you really need to.
Last edited by scottyroll on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

14ft Laser/6.0 LQ4/2.37 Rotator/3 Blade "K"

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:31 pm

Deano I have not. I thought that Ox made a drive system for all the EcoTec's. I remember reading I think on SA that they had worked bugs out of the drive units for EcoTec's. Does anyone have a contact number for them?

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:36 pm

You will probably need an adapter plate to run an Ox Box. Call Chuck at Airboat Pro. 352-330-1015. I was there on Friday and he had a few on the shelf. He will be able to tell you if you need one or not. I would keep the boat as light as possible. In the end it all comes down to power to weight ratio, Ecotec or not. As far as 3 or 4 blades, that depends on what blades (width and length). The blades you want to run will determine what gear ratio you will need. The wide blades don't need to be turned as many rpm as the narrower blades. You need to find out where you motor makes its best/most power. see where your TQ. starts to fall off. then determine how many rpm's you want to run @ WOT. These #'s will help you chose the proper gearbox Blade combo. There are some real strong Ecotec turbo boats running around out there. I would make some phone calls and talk to some of the guys running them. They will give you some good info. They have them figured out pretty good.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:39 pm

OX Drive Reductions 863-581-9710

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanx John. I'll be calling them tomorrow

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ptr34 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Ballistic is the only direct fit box made for ecotec motors. U will have to run a adapter plates with the ox drive. And i would go 14' and stay light like was said. and no need for a 4 blade. 3 blade is enough. we are currently working with our engine builder to get a airboat tune and turbo setup perfected.
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:02 pm

The only Ecotec motor that the Ox Box bolts to directly to without an adapter plate is the 2014 LV3, as far as I know. It is not a turbo motor. It is a 4.3L NA 6 cyl motor. They are available in the Silverado and sierra pick up trucks. Not sure about the 3.6 LFX. that's the motor that is available in the Camaro.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Terry are those adapter plates something that would have to be self fabricated or is there someone that already makes them, maybe Ox?

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ptr34 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:24 pm

I think chuck makes them. But why Would u want to buy adapter and box . Or just a box that fits ?
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:08 pm

If you wanna try and build a bulldozer with a 4 blade and a big heavy hull why not just go with an ls platform and be done with it so you dont tax a lil motor
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:17 am

I was focused on Ox because I heard that they made a unit specifically for EcoTec's. I am open to what is made to fit and performs well, that's the main reason I wanted you guy's input. I know there is whole lot I don't know before I start this build.

I'm not wanting to go LS mainly for the weight and cost. I was pushing a 13x7.6 Alumitech with an 0540 and I'm thinking another foot of length and going 8 wide will about balance out the weight reduction I gain going to the Aluminum block EcoTec but more than double my HP. If staying at 13ft will make it easier and more efficient at running dry I will do that too. I was just wanting a touch more room for decoys and bowfishing. I greatly appreciate the inputs,

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:00 am

Double your horsepower...lmao...even if you had a real low compression 230 horse 540 you ain't gonna double your horsepower...

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Postby getchasumairboats » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:56 am

Hell i run a 13 x 8 alumatech with an Ls and ox and it floats and runs fine. And i doubt that little 4 cyl will push the same boat anywhere near as good as an ls. Imo
http://WWW.********* where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Tony, looking for an education here. Am I correct that if I'm getting 350 hp from my engine and a 2 to 1 reduction that'll put 700 at the prop? That's what I'm told anyway. Plus my ole smoker 540 was on her last leg for two years now.. So I'm figuring on double the push from what I'm used to.

jwoodl01
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jwoodl01 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Somewhere down the line you were told wrong or maybe just a misunderstanding on what you were told...

While the reduction will act as a torque multiplier, your horspower will stay constant. The 2:1 reduction ratio is simply your engine rpms to your props rpms. It does not mean you are doubling your horspower output.
PROUD MEMBER OF UNITED SPORTSMAN FOR TRADTIONAL HERITAGE

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:49 pm

DuckNutt wrote:Tony, looking for an education here. Am I correct that if I'm getting 350 hp from my engine and a 2 to 1 reduction that'll put 700 at the prop? That's what I'm told anyway. Plus my ole smoker 540 was on her last leg for two years now.. So I'm figuring on double the push from what I'm used to.

You will increase your torque but wont gain one pony.

Push isn't necessarily linear with regards to power. A well matched propeller and the dynamics of your overall setup will contribute the majority of your improved success.
FLAwless

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Good talking to people to know. Yup I was told that the reduction ratio increases HP and torque to the prop.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:55 pm

I personally don't fully understand why things are typically measured in HP as opposed to TQ.

TQ is the name of this game anyhow.

Glad to see another ecotec being built - I think y'all are riding the new wave of the future 8)
FLAwless

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:07 pm

That's fine that you want to go with an ecotec motor. I would keep your 13 ft Alumitec and put an ecotec on that hull if you want to run one. But like the guys are saying , a gearbox only multiplies TQ. It doesn't give you any HP gain. A 2.4 turbo motor from alpha fab with a 2:1 ratio gearbox will make approx. the same amount of TQ as a 300 HP 0540. The 2.2 turbo stock LNF with a gearbox. makes about the same TQ as 260 HP 0540, roughly. these #'s are not exact but should be in the ballpark. there is no ecotec/gearbox combo that is gonna run away from an 0540. If you want to run a larger Hull (15x8) to carry gear for duck hunting you would be better of with an 8 cyl motor. Back in Sept there was a post about a 5.3efi Hamant boat. He got the motor very reasonable from a salvage yard. The boat runs very strong and keeps up with the Ls and Stroker motor boats. that might be a consideration for a larger boat that needs to carry some gear/weight.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:18 pm

scottyroll wrote:I personally don't fully understand why things are typically measured in HP as opposed to TQ. . .
More proof that old habits die hard. :D The short version might go like this:

In the beginning, there were horses (not engineers). Then there were steam engines.
Then came a need of measurement to compare the first with the later.
To a large extent, this comparison was needed to market the then new steam engine.
Thus, the measurement of HP was born.
[cut out a bunch potentially irrelevant crap here]
Over time it has become not only an accepted, but expected part of typical marketing hoopla.
This is why all the parts & pieces in a JC Whitney Catalog add XX HP !! and not xx amount of torque. :lol: :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 pm

don't worry, tony is only here to be a straight up hater! it happens sometimes. ive personally rode on 2 and driven 1 ecotec and am currently building an ecotec boat which should be fired up this weekend!! :cheers:

as far as gear box, id go with ballistics due to direct fit and the performance is equally as good as ox and a lot cheaper! as far as props... its personal choice. a lot of the guys are running real wide blades anywhere from 76-80" for lots of push. I personally went with a 78" whisper ex 3 blade after researching it. then again I cannot give you results yet. you have plenty of time to research your prop. eco builds aren't really quick builds. :roll:
Cody
----------------------------
"she gone!"
GM 2.0 LHU Turbo Ecotec, stock engine, 78" whisper ex 3 blade
06 Hamant 13'

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:20 pm

there is no ecotec/gearbox combo that is gonna run away from an 0540

Disagree entirely here. Even a low hp 2.0 turbo ecotec will produce significantly more torque at the prop shafts with a 2.38 or 2.68 box. I have run both. Even 2.0:1 will produce more than an o540.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0CrnjS ... cslist_api

I haven't seen an o540 put out 1300lbs thrust yet. Not trying to start anything, please no one get all riled up and their panties in a bunch with that statement.

-Russ
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:29 pm

OneBFC wrote:
there is no ecotec/gearbox combo that is gonna run away from an 0540

Disagree entirely here. Even a low hp 2.0 turbo ecotec will produce significantly more torque at the prop shafts with a 2.38 or 2.68 box. I have run both. Even 2.0:1 will produce more than an o540.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0CrnjS ... cslist_api

I haven't seen an o540 put out 1300lbs thrust yet. Not trying to start anything, please no one get all riled up and their panties in a bunch with that statement.

-Russ

russ your my hero!
Cody
----------------------------
"she gone!"
GM 2.0 LHU Turbo Ecotec, stock engine, 78" whisper ex 3 blade
06 Hamant 13'

Return to “Prop Talk”