Water walker issues

Airboat propeller discussion.
nightaddictionj
Southern Airboat Member

Water walker issues

Postby nightaddictionj » Mon May 23, 2016 10:34 am

Hello I'm new to this forum and just purchased my first airboat. I have however been around them for a while now. I have been hearing of people having problems with water walker props failing and was wanting some insight on what's going on. Is it all their props or just certain series?

Thanks in advance

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Water walker issues

Postby AirRanger » Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

You should call Water Walker.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Postby diamondback0320 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 am

This is 1st I've heard of this,i own 1 now & it's not my 1st one..never had any issues whatsoever

nightaddictionj
Southern Airboat Member

Postby nightaddictionj » Mon May 23, 2016 11:39 am

I will be calling when I get home to discuss it with them just want g to see if anyone e else had heard of this or had any issues.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:24 pm

nightaddictionj wrote:I will be calling when I get home to discuss it with them just want g to see if anyone e else had heard of this or had any issues.

I had one with zero issues it was fairly new.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon May 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Not sure I remember ever seeing anything like this ever on the forum.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Joe » Mon May 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Back when they where the other company,power shift, they had some issues with blades breaking at the shank.
They claimed it's was something called whirl mode. Said some motor mounts caused the problem not the prop. No other prop manufacturer had the issue that I ever herd. I beleive they strengthened the shank area to stop it when they became water walker. I have not herd of any issues since. I wouldn't be worried about a water walker but I'd call about a power shift and see what they had to say about it, probably have it sent in for inspection.
On the board here plum crazy and Andrewmcd(sp) are working there,and I think are owners? Anyway call or PM them they will know anything you might need to know. Real nice guys,easy to talk to.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon May 23, 2016 1:37 pm

I think Joe is correct :salute:

Great demonstration of what it is and you could see how sloppy mounts could cause such an effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Q5ggtV-y8

nightaddictionj
Southern Airboat Member

Postby nightaddictionj » Mon May 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Very cool and informative video. Thanks for all the help guys.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:02 pm

Horseshit! They had issues when they were waterwalker too...lot's of them. They do have new owners who are supposed to be doing a better job...if it's an older one...get rid of it

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Andrew McD » Mon May 23, 2016 4:12 pm

That Whirl Mode demonstration is a scary but good reminder why not to simply "power through" a vibration on any boat at any RPM. Good Share. :thumbleft:

As simple as I can put it:

PowerShift had some issues, I'm not going to get into all of that but Water Walker LLC in Montrose Colorado corrected most of those issues about 10 years ago. Some of the older LLC blades were still made with similar materials to the PowerShifts but other changes eliminated the critical shank failure problems. Later, LLC went completely away from the old PowerShift materials and the blades became incredibly tough. PlumCrazy, Wine and I moved the company to FL as Water Walker Props, Inc. about 4 years ago. Since then we made even further advancements. A fresh look at process, material innovations, and layup rendered an incredibly light and strong blade.

In the last year, I took full ownership of Water Walker. Plum still airboats and sells props with us. Wine retired from airboat props. One of my first changes as full owner was to stop all work on PowerShift blades. Many still seem perfectly viable and we often get customers come in with 20 years of use on their blades. The issue is almost all PowerShift blades are 10+ years old. Materials don't usually stick well for repairs and many material info is untraceable beyond certain dates. The liability and chance of personal injury is too great to continue work on PowerShift blades. I advise all customers with PowerShifts and older Water Walkers to upgrade whether its our prop or another's. I am happy to do history searches and inspections on any blades. Don't trust your blade sticker or what someone says about a prop, please check with our shop before running used blades. These blades travel way too fast to take chances and the last thing we want to see is a boat, or more importantly, a friend get injured.

Please feel free to message me here or call the shop for help on any questions.
Best,
Andrew McDermott
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon May 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks Andrew ! Big Time !

This is what SA is all about.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Mon May 23, 2016 8:27 pm

Nice post Andrew!

FROGMOSS
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby FROGMOSS » Tue May 24, 2016 5:35 am

I had no problem with the blades that came on my boat, but a loose bolt went through my prop, my fault. Went to Water Walker they explained all my options to me, showed me how blades are made, I decided on two new Signature Series blades. I am happy, happy, happy. Even though I was pleased with the old blades and never had a problem, I can tell a big difference in my old boat with the new ones. They will be first people I will go to when I need a new prob.

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Tue May 24, 2016 6:12 am

Congratulations Andrew. Best wishes with your new business. So do you own the Concept boat? We need to race again. 8)
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.68 Rotator soft drive swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer
Member of Seminole Airboat Club

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Andrew McD » Tue May 24, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your support. Hope to keep things going in the right direction and keep everyone and a good, safe prop.

CarMotorBarge wrote:Congratulations Andrew. Best wishes with your new business. So do you own the Concept boat? We need to race again. 8)

Thanks, Aint seen ya out in a while. Nope, Wine got the concept boat but I might have something to keep up with you this time.... if I ever get a chance to finish it. :violent1:
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby emmitt Kelly » Tue May 24, 2016 9:53 am

Tony480 wrote:Horseshit! They had issues when they were waterwalker too...lot's of them. They do have new owners who are supposed to be doing a better job...if it's an older one...get rid of it

it was close to 10 years ago now..at an airboat show...I tried to get the previous people from Water Walker/ Powershift to look at my prop...would not give me the time of day...ok..I have been treated like that before..nothing new for me...I went to the Sensenich tent and asked them to look at my power shift prop for their opinion...they came over...I now have Sensenich props on my boat..never looked back...
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Tue May 24, 2016 4:29 pm

bottom line if you buy a Water Walker prop in the present you wont find stronger harder pushing prop... :thumbleft:

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue May 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Never owned a PS or WW, but I do run with a handful of life time aircraft airboaters that swear by them and act like they want to kick your ass if you don't agree lol.

Rick

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Thu May 26, 2016 12:36 am

Andrew McD wrote:Thanks guys. Really appreciate your support. Hope to keep things going in the right direction and keep everyone and a good, safe prop.

CarMotorBarge wrote:Congratulations Andrew. Best wishes with your new business. So do you own the Concept boat? We need to race again. 8)

Thanks, Aint seen ya out in a while. Nope, Wine got the concept boat but I might have something to keep up with you this time.... if I ever get a chance to finish it. :violent1:

It's about freakin time the dead weight is gone and real improvements take place! Weeks-Months-Years wasted on pet peevs or pushing beer cans and no sales or real improvements to show for it.

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Brotherbob » Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I own a 78" SuperWide Water Walker 3 blade that pushes like a bulldozer...had dumb ducks, beer cans, glass bottle go through the prop and the only damage was a small nick in the leading edge...I had 500 Hrs on them and sent them to Andrew and Plum to look at em' as the were getting old and sun bleached.....they treated me like family, body worked my blades, repaired a edge, balanced them and sent them back to me in a couple of weeks for a very fair price. IMHO the best prop folks in the business cause they sell , service the best pushing prop ever built!
Bob Bagwell
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:39 am

Great Blades no problems .
They Answer the phone and return phone calls .
A+++ in my book
BRAB45 RRAB 17

Return to “Prop Talk”