Wood prop to composite

Airboat propeller discussion.
1Gilom
Southern Airboat Member

Wood prop to composite

Postby 1Gilom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:06 pm

I recently bought a used boat with a wood prop and im considering switching to a composite, can anyone point me in the right direction on what prop would suite my boat? it has a 454 with a 2:1 belt drive swinging a 90x48 wood prop 4800 rpm, ive never even heard of anyone running a prop that long.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Wood prop to composite

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Since you didn't get any input in nearly 24 hours let's see if I can point you in the right direction.

A little more info would be helpful such as 1)engine horsepower 2)torque 3)prop pitch degrees 4)prop width

In addition what are you looking for from your new prop? push, speed, snap etc.

To make a well thought recommendation the above information would be helpful.

As a "generic guess" push the boat recommendation if your staying 2 blade probably the Sensenich (S) blades would get it done for you.

You can call Darrin at Sensenich he is the airboat contact he has a data base and could give you some advice. I bought my Sensenich prop thru Gary Barber aka "OUTLAW AIRCRAFT" on here he could probably help you also. PM if you need numbers or additional. Both Gary and Darrin are good guys and Ms Patti at Whirlwind is very helpful also if Whirlwind is a consideration.

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Skeeter-Gee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Gary is a great person to deal with honest and very knowledgeable ,if your gonna make the swap a 3 blade might give you a better choice

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:32 pm

How many RPMs do you turn running wide open ? and
What do you quesstimate your HP is at those RPMs ?

On the upside, you obviously do not have much of a cage restraint. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Call the three prop manufactures and talk to all of them before you spend your money

WhirlWind Propellers
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby WhirlWind Propellers » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Gilom,

We have worked with a number of airboats that run a 454 with a 2:1 reduction. This is a nice combination, and you will get multiple benefits in changing from the wood propeller to a new composite propeller.

We have found the best performer for the stock 454 (425 HP) with a 2:1 reduction is our 3-blade Whisper Tip 2.0 (12" wide blade) in 78" diameter. The price of this complete propeller system is $2490 and includes the hub, new hardware and the blades. We give you free UPS ground shipping in the lower 48 states, and 30 days to try the propeller and make sure it is right for your set-up, plus our full 1 year manufacturer's warranty to cover any and all defects.

Of the many benefits in going with this 12" wide / 78" diameter composite 3-blade Whisper Tip 2.0 propeller, you will most appreciate the ability to adjust the blade angles to maximize the performance for your engine's exact power output and operating RPM. And if you ever make any changes to your motor you'll be able to adjust the propeller to make use of your changes. And you'll also see an improvement in your fuel economy, safety, durability, and smoothness of the propeller.

Please feel welcome to ask any other questions.

Sincerely,
Patti
:proud:

Return to “Prop Talk”