Disaster Averted

Airboat propeller discussion.
John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Disaster Averted

Postby John Fenner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:03 am

flcracker9 wrote:I'm no engine builder, but I've been told if just the couterweights themselves were removed, they can be reinstalled by removing 1 jug, no splitting of the case necessary?

Yes.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Fafah12
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Fafah12 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:13 pm

digginfool wrote:A reminder of what happened.

digginfool wrote:Image

transfers CDG

Humm poor you! what happened?

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Harmonics led to metal fatigue failure of hub plate.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:15 am

digginfool wrote:Harmonics led to metal fatigue failure of hub plate.

Hmm and just how can someone measure that after the prop has cracked? Chicken or the egg not possible now unless your motor has measured vibration now with new prop. I seen lots helio blades do strange things but most not all have another underlying cause.

Simple things as plates are too hard, to soft, wrong alloy, seen metal mismarked etc, so not to sure I buy that your motor did it unless you have vibration now, can be scanned very easy by helio mech with spectrum anyalizer have to do it on helio's most every 100hrs. Glad you caught it before they slung off gets ugly fast then :thumbleft:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com/index.html

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:25 am

HuntingBigun wrote:
digginfool wrote:Harmonics led to metal fatigue failure of hub plate.

Hmm and just how can someone measure that after the prop has cracked? Chicken or the egg not possible now unless your motor has measured vibration now with new prop. I seen lots helio blades do strange things but most not all have another underlying cause.

Simple things as plates are too hard, to soft, wrong alloy, seen metal mismarked etc, so not to sure I buy that your motor did it unless you have vibration now, can be scanned very easy by helio mech with spectrum anyalizer have to do it on helio's most every 100hrs. Glad you caught it before they slung off gets ugly fast then :thumbleft:

I hear ya, Bigun. There certainly could be other answers. The Excalibur always made an odd noise that was never there with the 6 blade Saber I ran for a few months earlier this year or the 6 blade Warp I'm running now. You've probably already seen my description but the best way I could describe it was like the sound made when blowing across a bottle or, better yet, swinging a pipe through the air. I never really felt it, just heard it. In retrospect, I wish I had played with pitch on the blades, perhaps even stagger as had been suggested by others. It's a great prop and did everything I wanted. Maybe I need a scan. Now where to find a helio mechanic? You know one? :wink: :lol:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 am

fool u need to sell both ur boats and find a new hobby like nitting or something along those lines.u have the $h!ttys luck with airboats :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :toothy7: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:56 am

I tried knitting for a while. Kept sticking myself in the fingers. Had to give it up. :lol: You know the old saying:

Anytime
It
Runs
Break
Out
Another
Thousand

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 am

LMFAO thats good there fool :thumbleft: if u didnt have bad/$h!tty luck u wouldnt have any luck at all.y all besafe and im glad u and ur family or anybody else did not get hurt.i have been on a boat back in the day when a woodie prop came apart sounded like a gun going off. :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

Return to “Prop Talk”