ok to run ?

Airboat propeller discussion.
idhunter55
Southern Airboat Member

ok to run ?

Postby idhunter55 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:18 pm

as I posted earlier my wood prop broke, I have a 4 blade (two wooden props in x or t ) I removed the rear one, which was the one that broke and saw that the front blade is bolted on with its own hub, would it be to run like this for now till I find a new prop setup, or could it cause damage? 18 aluminum,454, belt reduction, thanks for any input IDhunter55

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Re: ok to run ?

Postby terrible ted » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:26 pm

For one you don't have enough prop now.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 pm

NO. Didn't see your other post, but I don't see that working. Be aware in any case, that with half the blades missing, you will only introduce half the load to the drive system and it will immediately want to over rev. The margin available to over spin a wood prop is a very small one at best. The other reality is that with half the blades, you will not even be able to generate half the thrust.

A 454 w/ any reduction is well beyond what is required to make toothpicks out of the rest of that prop.

If you have never seen and/or heard one come apart, believe that you don't want to. Those splitters (some very large) can go through the bottom of the boat, right into your good eye and maim half the nearby wildlife, all before you can blink your other eye. :shock:

If at all possible, you need to get an adjustable carbon fiber prop.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

idhunter55
Southern Airboat Member

Postby idhunter55 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 pm

ok thanks for the replies, I am looking to go to carbon 3 blade, anyway thanks much .

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 am

talk to the prop dealers and tell them what you have and they can give you suggestion on what works best

Return to “Prop Talk”