Time to swap out props

Airboat propeller discussion.
Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Time to swap out props

Postby Duff0113 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:51 am

Currently the boat I've built has a 355 direct drive on it with a 72x36 stick prop on it. It will run 2800 on the trailer. It's all on a 13'6" cottonmouth with a good bottom and new slick. I've ran flat dry ground on green grass with me and my son on it and have since pulled the angle of the motor down to level with the hull. I can run decent with it however would it be beneficial to switch to a warp drive to get the snap off idle? I would love to be able to try something out before buying but am not sure what size or how many blades. I've heard 68" 5 blades as well as 4 blades the most. A nice carbon 2 blade is out of my price range at the moment too. Any help or thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

WhirlWind Propellers
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Time to swap out props

Postby WhirlWind Propellers » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:42 pm

It sounds like you are on a budget, so I will make some sizing suggestions for your and then if you find any of these for sale used, I'd be happy to help you evaluate them if you have any additional questions.

For your small-block direct-drive set-up, I would recommend the following propeller options:
1. 2-blade Whisper Tip Narrow (10" wide) propeller in 72" diameter for $1690 complete
2. 3-blade Excalibur (5.5" wide) in 72" diameter for $1790 complete
3. 5-blade Razor X (4.75" wide) in 72" diameter for $2050 complete

The Whisper Tip Narrow propeller has been the tried-and-true most popular choice because it is economically priced, and it is easy to use with our QuickChange™ hub that has the blade angles already engraved for pitch setting, and is an excellent performer.

The Excalibur is the ultimate choice, as it offers the best of both the wide blade propellers and the skinny light weight style propellers. We designed the Excalibur specifically for direct-drive aircraft and automotive engines to give them a multi-blade propeller option that is wider and still light weight for fast spin-up. The Excalibur is extremely light-weight and stiff, so it spins up fast to give instantaneous thrust.

All of our new propellers ship free by UPS ground to the lower 48 states, and we offer a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee so you can run your new propeller and make sure it is right for you and your boat.

But, if you find something used, I'd be happy to help you and answer any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
Patti
:proud:

Theehunt1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Theehunt1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 pm

I bought a WhirlWind from Patti. Very happy with my purchase. Ask Patti if she has any seconds (blemished) props. That's what I got and I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hunter
1998 Combee Chev 350

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:49 am

That's awesome info Patti. I appreciate it. I'll be on the lookout.

Return to “Prop Talk”