need new blades NGQ vs. Q

Airboat propeller discussion.
fragwhacker
Southern Airboat Member

need new blades NGQ vs. Q

Postby fragwhacker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Here is my question, I am currently spinning a 72"(72 3/4 is what it measures) "Q" with Lycoming o-435 1. It is set at the "2". Mark. And does well there. I need to order new blades and wondered if my motor will spin the NGQ at the same pitch or does it take more to spin it? Thus making me remove pitch. And do they use the same hub?
FYI I don't want to change hub because I had this one machined to fit the spindal through it. Just need new blades and thought the NGQ would bee the way to go.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: need new blades NGQ vs. Q

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:24 am

I do not know about the hub but the ngq is the way to go if you ask me.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 am

They use the same Sensenich hub and the NGQ will take a little bit more power to spin it.

From my personal experience in a DD car motor application the Q liked to spin at 2950 to the edge of it's limit and the NGQ seemed to perform better at a lower rpm range 2750 area. The Q served as a excellent all around blade with the NGQ having more grunt and push. That is my personal experience and opinion not from a machine or data sheet.

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DAGWOOD0520 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:45 am

One thing to consider is that the NGQ blade is molded 1" longer than the Q and if you are running 72" now, that means the blades are already trimmed because the hubs used for your engine are the long hubs and they produced a 74" prop with full lenght Q series blades. So long story short, if you switch, the NGQ blades will need to be trimmed a full 2 inches unless you can clear more diameter.

fragwhacker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fragwhacker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Yes I do have the long hub. Is it possible for them to be cut down with the winglet on the end? I do have the room to swing a longer blade but worry more about not having the power to spin it and still pitch it enough.

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DAGWOOD0520 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

The winglet will be removed if we have to trim them, we have a few GPU owners running 74" NGQ setups and they say that it performs great. One other option would be to try a set of the 68NGQ blades, this will produces a 70" diameter propeller that has the potential to perform better than your current blades. I would rather see you try this before getting a set of cut down 74" blades..
I guess it would come down to what you really want the boat to feel like..:
If you go to the longer cut down 74NGQ blades, you will run a bit less pitch, it will be a little less responsive (unless you have Q4 blades without the I-beam) in this case the NGQ will be more responsive. You should notice better static and slow speed thrust.
The 68NGQ blades should produce equivalent thrust output to the Q blades, but should be more responsive and have a better top speed..(shorter prop, more pitch)
we have built a handful or so of 2 blade 70" NGQ setups using the 68" blades in a long hub on SV540 engines at 260hp and they performed excellent.
The 68"NGQ retails for about $15 less than the 74"

Just going into detail, because you seemed a bit worried about dropping pitch or having enough power to turn a larger/longer blade set.

Hope this helps..

fragwhacker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fragwhacker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:07 am

Thank You, glad you did go into detail. You pretty much answered my questions perfectly and will probably go with the 68 NGQ. I think where they are a bit wider then the "Q" and going 2" shorter I should be able to pitch them a tad more. Hopefully gain a bit. I am in Utah and will order some shortly. Thank you again and will message before I do. If that is ok?

Return to “Prop Talk”