Prop Identification help

Airboat propeller discussion.
Alvarez1112
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Prop Identification help

Postby Alvarez1112 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm

I came across a deal on a second boat that couldn't be passed up and need help identifying the prop. I believe it's an old Powershift and it is in need of repair so I know I'm out of luck, but would like to confirm. It measures 72" and the blades are 11 3/4" wide.
~Chris Alvarez

Johnny's Welding & Machine Works

Coastslider
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Prop Identification help

Postby Coastslider » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 pm

72" in a short hub doesn't match current water walker blades. Width matches the falcons. Not sure what they would've been called when they were powershift. They're at least 12 years old if they're powershift blades

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 am

I don't believe they are Power Shift blades, they look like old Terminator Blades to me.

The leading and following edges of those are much closer to parallel and the following edge is much straighter than what a Power Shift would've been. Also, the configuration of the Terminator ridges are different than are those common to Power Shift, Water Walker and Sensenich, which unlike the Terminator, are just about interchangeable. I was thinking they may have had two ridges instead of three, but can't confirm that for sure. The last one of those I saw was many, many years ago.

If you pull those four bolts holding the hub together and remove the blades, most likely there will be a plate/tag on the inside of the hub end of the blade that will identify them. This will also allow you to confirm the configuration of the ridges used to mount them.

After that, if that is the case, you might call Florida Airboat Props and be able to get more info. (863) 324-1653
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Alvarez1112
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Alvarez1112 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for the info. The measurements do in fact match those of the Terminator props. I'll pull it apart and check it out. Is there anyone that makes a replacement blade that fits the Terminator hub?
~Chris Alvarez

Johnny's Welding & Machine Works

SLIDEJOB0520
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SLIDEJOB0520 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Whrilwind was making a replacement for the blades not the hub. Call Patti and see if the still do.
WHEN IN DOUBT TACH IT OUT!!!!!!!!!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Whirlwind did/does in fact make a 'PSR' (Power Shift Replacement) blade.
I didn't want to spread bad info, so I called Patti to check, and she did confirm
for me they do not make similar replacement blades to fit the Terminator hub.

She also clarified for me, my other confusion regarding the shank. There was a different, (now
defunct) manufacturer who used the two ridge mounting at the hub, hence my confusion.

Terminator does use three ridges like is the more typical design, but they are of different
dimensions entirely from what what the others are. That is why they aren't interchangeable.

PM sent
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Prop Talk”