Looking for some reviews on the new alpha prop

Airboat propeller discussion.
Lnicker1
Southern Airboat Member

Looking for some reviews on the new alpha prop

Postby Lnicker1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 pm

I've got a sv 540 on a 12' sled. Looking to get a new prop and was curious to how people like the new 4 blade alpha from sensenich? I can't find much info on how the props are performing so any insight is appreciated.

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Looking for some reviews on the new alpha prop

Postby DAGWOOD0520 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 pm

I think there has only been maybe 2 sold for 540 setups.. Both guys said that it runs like a 2 blade Q with better top end. When we thrust tested it against a Q the numbers where very similar, it had just a bit more at 2000, nut nothing significant.

If you are looking for something snappy and fast, but still has decent push, I would recommend a 5 blade Saber, its over $200 cheaper as well.

The Alpha was mainly designed for 4cyl 150-200 hp applications using a 3 blade. Performance characteristics are: fast throttle response, great mid-range and fast top speed.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:09 pm

I ran a 72" 6 blade Saber on my 11 foot sled with a SV540. Even with 10:1 pistons and a cam, it was a bit too much prop. I've got a 72" 5 blade prop now and very happy with it. I would imagine the Alpha is probably very much like an Excalibur, which I had and loved but was not compatible with my motor. I still like my 5 blade prop better, though. Love the smoothness, snappiness and overall performance.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Lnicker1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lnicker1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Ok thanks fellas. I have a 70" Q. Was leaning towards the 70" 5 blade saber or 72" NGQ. Just was wondering about the alpha 4 blade because I hadn't heard of anything good or bad. I know someone with the 3 blade in a 4cyl and he loves it and it does great on the boat. I think yall helped make up my mind though thanks again

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:22 pm

I have a 16ft hamant with a 470 angle valve continental 9 passenger with nothing yet on the bottom just stock aluminum boat with 2 blade sensenich prop. Ive been told to never take it dry or I will be stuck. I'm going to slick the bottom but wondered if I should consider a different prop but I don't know whether it will run dry or not other than running across some sand areas which it cruised over with ease.

Return to “Prop Talk”