HAS ANYONE FOUND TREASURE OR OTHER THINGS IN THE EVERGLADES

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

HAS ANYONE FOUND TREASURE OR OTHER THINGS IN THE EVERGLADES

Postby CHAKA » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:31 am

TREASURE FOUND IN THE FLORIDA EVERGLADES... As a kid my father and I hunted in the Florida Everglades in the 1960's and early 1970's. We owned property off the Loop Road and knew alot of the Glades people who lived there. There were rumors of hidden loot from the Ashley Gang to outlaw Hermits buring there money in the Glades. I was in the Glades watching some older kids riding there dirt bikes around and kicking dirt up as they cut into there turns. One of the kids turned around and got off his dirt bike and picked up a bunch of silver coins out of the dirt. I walked over and there was a bunch of broken glass with coins every where. The kid handed me a few of the silver coins and they where all from Canada with King George on the front. All the coins where the size of a quarter. I did not put much thought to the pile of coins intill later in life as I was reading about the Ashley Gang robbing a bank in Canada. I am sure there is more jars buried around there as the kids did not have much intrest in foreign coins that they could not spend. This was around 1965 or 1966. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: HAS ANYONE FOUND TREASURE OR OTHER THINGS IN THE EVERGLA

Postby cowboy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:14 am

I have heard people talking about finding artifacts and even a silver coin or two at the lost city on horseshoe head

Bub Marquis had a photo album that I got to see
One of the photos was of a wooden skiff flipped upside down. The bottom was rotted out and you could see a human skeleton under the boat

I asked Bullfrog Bud what that photo was about

He said that after he found this boat and skeleton on a tree island out in the grass, he started asking around about it. Eventually he found out that it was an Indian who had been outcast from the tribe. This person had died in town, and he tribe was called to come get him. After they brought him from town they put him on the island with all his stuff and put the boat ever top of him

Bud said he snapped the photo once when he would occasionally visit that particular place

Bud said the peculiar thing was that on some visits he would arrive and the skull would be gone. Then he would return again some months later and the skull would be back again. Bud said this happened more than once, and the skull must have had some bad ju-ju or something

I thought I was an interesting story and photo

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Cowboy, I do remember " BoBo " Bunk Reading telling my father and I about his Seminole Friend that was placed on one of the heads and his Canoe was placed on top of him. I think it was BoBo who put him there as they were very close friends that went back to 1930's. The two of them would pole out in the Dug out Canoe and would hunt and fish and camp all the time. BoBo died in the 1960's when I was a little boy and dad and I went to his funeral service in Miami. I did know the name of his Seminole friend but, I just can't remember it right now. I was hunting on one of the Island and had seen the grave one day. When I was there I had seen only half of a Canoe and a piece of roofing tin. I did not disturb it so, not sure about anything else. I have been to the Lost City and heard about all kinds of wild tells from moonshiners to Seminole war soldiers and Bigfoot. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:22 pm

There are still artifacts out there. An old timer told me he got hired by some scientists to take them out in 3a north. They would dig up some artifacts, take a gps reading, take it back to the lab, analyze it and bury it in the same place. Some of the stuff dated back hundreds of years.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:08 pm

I know a lot of people who have found Columbia gold out there all the time back in the 80's
"Success Requires No Excuses"

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:47 pm

As for lost or misplaced gold, silver etc., no. "Skinnypockets" did find a dug out canoe a few years ago in the St Johns River when the water was very low. He towed it in and brought it here to Camp Old Glory where it hangs today. An Indian artifacts person saw it and said that it was 500 years old. I agree since the Cypress is supposed to be the "wood of eternal life" by he Indians. It's in very bad shape and I had to screw it to a 2x6x16' board to keep it from breaking apart. Indian pottery and tools made from conch shells are plentiful here in the glades. The markings on the pottery tell which tribe and what year. I found pottery fragments from as far away as Ft. Pierce and down to the Keys. This shows trade up and down the coast as well as inland. I have chased the rainbow to find the pot of gold and even found a full set of Husky tools that date back as far as possibly 10 years. But the most valuable artifact that I have found is ME. :toothy7:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:43 am

I found a coin on one of the islands behind the air boat ass. years ago with my dad. The coin had stamped in it worth 1/2 cent in trade from first national bank of orlando. It had a hole punched in it I presume for string. My dad threw what look like a asher to me once and it had writing too, but I don't remember what it said. Lost these and a few beads we found after Andrew.
I remember Bunk when I was a kid, Members of air boat club was complaining about game wardens using club ramp, so Bunk paid for their membership. Said poaching gators wasn't fun without them around. He was also at a club meeting one night and their was a biologist talking about the decline in the gator population, Bunk yelled out "I'm doing my part".

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:13 am

just going to the Everglades is a Treasure in its self
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:48 am

Sniper wrote:just going to the Everglades is a Treasure in its self

You are certainly correct there, Sniper. I have made a promise to myself, no matter what, to visit the glades every year from now on, as long as airboats are allowed. Hope they never shut it down. Can't wait to hit the water down there in the spring

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:49 am

Gary, I did not know the Airboat club let the Game commission launch there. We were members, also. I was in the L-67 Ext. Canal behind Cooper Town just east of the Airboat Club teaching myself how to frog late one night and had a bright light blind me from out of no where flashing blue lights. I shut my head lamp and running lights off and jumped the boat out of the Canal into the thick deep sawgrass between the pennicle rocks and the Canal intil I was on the safe clear East and West trail between the Duck Camp and Airboat club. I Shut the boat down to listen where he was and all I heard was Raaa Raaa of a very stuck boat setting in the center of some very deep Sawgrass. All that could be seen of me that night was the blue flames out of the motor ex. tubes and alot of sawgrass as I shot in the air launching back out of the small frog water holes. I had learned how to run an airboat when I was a little kid and knew how to navigate through the coral caps south of the Tamiami trail before I was 10 years old. I frogged with my father in the thick Sawgrass we called the Iron curtain east of the Main trail in l-28 , 3A not far from the Lost City and knew what that boat would do. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 pm

In the 1970's I did find a parachute in the Glades tangled in top of a cypress tree with a white cloth bag attached to it. I got out of the boat and kicked my boots off and up the thin cypress tree I went. I was sure to find some thing neat. After untangling the chut I cut the bag off when I got to the bottom of tree. It had some weight to it and was solid when I felt through the bag in my hand. I cut the tie string off and dumped a can of SPAM into my other hand. 20 minutes hanging like a Monkey in top of that tree just for a nasty can of Spam. I think my Dad ate it. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWAMPWAMPUS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SWAMPWAMPUS » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Found a lot of happy birthday, get well soon and happy valentines day balloons in area 2 over the years. Does that count as treasure?

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:31 am

Bob Douglas was one of the wardens that used to hang out at the club. He was fair and handed out justice when it needed to be. He stopped me once when I was running a boat I had just rebuilt, hadn't put any numbers on it yet. He asked if I wanted to take it back to the ramp and put numbers on it. Another time we were shooting skeet out back and he was standing around watching, when someone came within plain sight jump shooting snipe. He said he wished they hadn't done that so close because now he was going to have to put his boat back in and go talk to them. This was early 70s when they were still Fla fresh water fish and game. He was always saying that the saltwater guys got taken care of a lot better than the fresh water guys. Sometimes repairs to equipment was slow.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Gary, My Dad would have known him, but I had no pal's or use for any game warden's. It was around 1975 when the State started to hire some crappy game wardens. This was the begining of the end of clean water and private land owners in the Big Cypress. They took all of our property in the Glades and started to make everything a Park all the way to the Gulf and now all over Florida. The Indians destroyed and robbed or camps and we would have all of our gas stolen and some times even the battery from our trucks parked at the airboat landings on the trail. All public land, beaches, water ways and 6 miles out into the Gulf and Atlantic is now under Federal control. There is no Public land any more. I drank alot of water when I was out in the Glades. We were never told of the mecury poison and toxic waste that was dumped through the water shed system by the Dairies dumping pure cow waste and the toxic chemicals used in the suger cane fields north of us. It killed alot of God's creatures. Then to make matters worse the State drowned the animals. I did go to the airboat club Bar BQ once a year with Dad and enjoyed trying to win a gun at the raffle. It was a magical place to grow up as a kid with lot's of adventure. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:51 am

Around 1969 or so my father and on of his friend from the Everglades coon and cat club where Coon hunting with there Black and Tan coon dogs up in the cypress during the dry season one night. They stoped to listen to the dogs running a coon as they put there foot up on an old dead tree and take a few minutes to rest and drink some water. Turning their head lamps on to take a look around where they were standing for rattlesnakes they noticed what they thought was a fallen tree stump was long and metal with old growth that was cover it. They discovered that there were 2 old military war Cannon's one laying over the other in the muck. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:59 am

Probably from the indian wars. Can't imagine drawing around a cannon in the glades. Another thing we would find regularly is 25 caliber rim fire cartridges.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:48 am

Monday, 6 January 2014

North Florida Arrowhead Sting

A thought-provoking article from the Tampa Bay Times about the background to a recent antiquities bust in Florida:

In all, FWC agents raided six homes, arrested 14 people from Big Pine Key to south Georgia, and charged them with more than 400 felonies. The raids capped a two-year undercover investigation that cost the state more than $130,000, not including the cost of the tactical raids or subsequent prosecution. The sting, called Operation Timucua, netted people with clean criminal records, including a brick mason, a 24-year military veteran and a 74-year-old retired University of South Florida professor. It drove suspects into debt and wrecked their reputations. One man got divorced. One committed suicide. >>> Please don't Post information on Artifacts on this Blog post !!!! This is the FWC Florida Fish Wildlife kicking in doors with automatic weapons at 3 am. They are sending in under cover agents to drink beer and watch football in your homes and hang out as your friend for over a year and then kick down your door the next morning with Federal SWAT teams and take your boat and truck....FWC IS NOT YOUR FRIEND ! Read more on line about this subject and let your friends know. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krahammer
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Krahammer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:23 pm

That bust occurred in 2014, and there have been smaller ones since. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north ... ng-fl.html
In addition, if you hunt for fossils on the Peace River, in springs, or elsewhere, Florida law requires a permit for you to do so, and hardly anyone obtains the permit until after they have been busted. See http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amat ... il-permit/

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Back in the Glades in the south end of L-28 I got caught in a bad Lighting storm just heading north off the Main trail maybe 15 or 20 min. after I had launched the airboat from the Tamiami trail ramp across the street from the Miccosukee village. I was just north of Small Pox Tommy's Island when I turned around and headed back S.E. to flee the storm to wait it out. I slid into some sawgrass to put on my rain jacket and hit something under the boat. I got out and pushed the boat back and there was an aircraft landing gear with a big rope like pile of electric wires running into the thicker head of sawgrass right under the water. I followed the wires through the muck and sawgrass and water and found an old intact fighter jet aircraft with one wing just off the water and an open single cockpit. The jet fighter was all silver with tip tanks on it's wings and was not very big. There was no markings or insignia's on the top or sides of the aircraft. I got down in the water and looked under the one wing that was up out off the water and it had the old Air Force insignia still visable. I wanted to get up on the wing and look into the cockpit, but there were so many snake sheddings hanging from all sides of the cockpit I just left it alone. I would bet that the aircraft is still hidden in that sawgrass head as it was the day I found it over 40 years ago. My father said the jet fighter I had found was a Lost P-80 " Shooting Star " combat jet fighter. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:51 pm

Add on to above. The P-80 " Shooting star " jet fighter's armament was ( 6 ) 50.cal. M3 Browning Machine guns. Not sure if they were in the aircraft or not ? Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Re: HAS ANYONE FOUND TREASURE OR OTHER THINGS IN THE EVERGLADES

Postby CHAKA » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Q: How do you know Adam and Eve weren't black?
A: Ever try and take a rib from a black person.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Has any one found the location or have seen the old USAF Bomber aircraft that crashed south of the Tamaimi trail back in the Glades ? I was told back in the 1960's that there had been only one crewman that survived the crash and the wreckage was never recovered. Post if you have any information please. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:30 am

Another location that's often overlooked is in central Florida, at a little place called Thonotosassa, FL. It's about halfway between Tampa and Plant City, and back in the day there was a big
Creek Indian reservation there, on the SW edge of Lake Thonotosassa. The name stands for 'land of flint'. and that reservation is the reason that when they built the railroad back then they
had to divert the tracks around there going into either Lakeland or Tampa .... they couldn't cross Indian lands.

The Creeks were badass, much more hostile than the Seminole, and the reason that Ponce Deleon gave up and carried his Spanish ass back to Spain. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:28 am

OIF Art, your right Juan Ponce de Leon did limp his defeated Spanish a** out of Florida. It was though a little bit earler prior to the migration of the Creek natives south in to Florida. In 1521 Ponce de Leon came to Florida on the lower west coast near todays Ft.Myers area on the Gulf coast with a ship full of soldiers hunting the Native Tainos that escaped Cuba during the Genocide of there people by the Spanish. Slaves were worth more then Gold or Silver and Ponce de Leon was a Slave owner and wanted a piece of the action. Once he got to Florida in 1521 the Calusa and the remaining escaped Tainos attacked his ship and wounded him. His crew knowing he was seriously wounded sailed back to Havana, Cuba were Ponce de Leon got last rights and Died in July of that year. His body was sent to Puerto Rico to be interred were he had ruled with a bloody fist as Governor prior to his death. The spanish killed, raped and tortured the natives of Florida,Cuba and all the Islands they set foot on for 400 years as the plundered through the New World of the America's. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 am

Where some of use live today the history is gone and only fairy tales are told now about Florida's history. In 1569-70. Pedro Menendez De Aviles ordered the Eradication, Plunder, Murder, Rape, torture and destruction of all the southwest Florida Calusa natives starting at " The Bay of Caalus " today at the mouth of Carlos bay that is at the end of the Caloosahatchee River's flow at Ft.Myers and Sanabel Island through the Kingdom of Escampaha ( Kingdom of the Calusa ) and destroying the Village of Stapada and every village on both sides of the Caloosahatachee River intil they got to the east side of Lake Okeechobee were they meet up with other spanish forces closing up the pocket of death. The spanish had hundreds of soldiers on land and in ships and long boats at the mouth of the river and traveling up the river on their hunt. The Spanish soldiers were hunting the natives with large dogs by the hundreds that were only allowed to eat human meat at every meal and trained on the Islands of Cuba and Haiti. They hunted Florida natives with guns, swords, pikes and clubs. They used soldiers on horse back who were paid more because they killed more. They, also pulled their cannons in when needed. As the spanish murdered, raped and robbed the natives they would set fire to their huts securing as many natives inside as allowed when they jammed the doors shut. When the spanish soldiers would find a village chief or any caciques they would be slowly tortured by all means intil they told where the Gold and Silver was hidden and then killed after they had there sadistic fun murdering him. While the Calusa natives were held down their noses, lips, faces hands were cut off and given to the hunger dogs a long with small children pulled from their mothers breast. The slow death they used was by rolling the natives in the woven long reed mates that were used to wrap around the Calusa huts and then the Spainards burned the natives slowly over a pit fire while being slowly turned. Information of the hidden riches the natives took from the early rich ship wrecks that washed ashore were soon handed over. This is just more of the of the Spanish soldiers extreme sadistic cruelty to the natives. After the spanish burned down and lad waste to their villages and what was left was searched for gold, silver and jewels. In the end the Booty recovered was divided between everyone. Even the dogs that killed were giving a share of the spoils as an extra bonus to their handlers. ( this is from a rough chapter of notes from my unpublished book I am writing on Florida ) Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Airboat Talk”