Hull identification?

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
Jdoakjr
Southern Airboat Member

Hull identification?

Postby Jdoakjr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 pm

This is the hull I need help identifying. There are no markings of any kind that I could find, or HIN. It had been sitting in a pasture in Oklahoma for years, and I need info so I can title it. Any help would be truly appreciated. The original color is either a really dark blue, or black.

Thanks in advance!!

Jerry Doak, Jr.
Attachments
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG

Jdoakjr
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Hull identification?

Postby Jdoakjr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:57 pm

The hull is 12'6" long and 85" wide at the back

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 pm

You shouldn't need any information. Go to the license bureau and tell them you got a johnboat you want to put a motor on and license it, they should be able to fix you up. Most states don't require serial numbers and so forth on a non motorized boat but will license them if you want to register and license it by putting a motor on it and making it motorized .

Jdoakjr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jdoakjr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 am

Yeah, well, Oklahoma's kinda stupid that way. I need to have at least a "year model" according to the lady at the tax commission. No HIN is no problem, the state will issue one IF I can provide a year model, notarized bill of sale, and attestation of ownership from the previous owner.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 am

While in theory, a given state and its laws should be similarly interpreted and implemented by all entities, in my experience that seems to be somewhat of a utopian dream, not a realistic expectation. While the county tax collectors should be on the same page and train people from the same book, it seems to rarely happen.

If I were in your position, I would call and pose the same question(s) to three or four different county clerks (tax collectors) and first confirm that they all tell you the same thing, chances seem good they will not. If you find one whose requirements are easier to comply with, go there. If not, there is likely insight to be gained by the differences in what they tell you. If they all do say the same thing at least you will not find out two years and twenty seven hoops later that your neighbor went to the adjacent county and had no grief.

It is quite possible to even call the same place and get a different answer from a different person (much like our local building and zoning departments :roll: ). While I was making such inquiries I would deliberately keep my questions and information generic and somewhat unidentifiable. You don't want to end up going in there and find out that your talking to somebody that recognizes a little bit of fudgery because they are the one you already talked to on the phone.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Jdoakjr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jdoakjr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:42 pm

I am also interested in the history (manufacturer) of this hull. That way I can brag (bitch) that I have a such-and-such brand boat. Haha

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Ive got one identical to yours but no title and I have no idea what it is. I went over to the Florida license branch and ask if I could take the hull and other parts and build an airboat from it and she said sure, just bring her receipts from people/ businesses ,etc for the parts and materials and come up with a name for what I wanted to show as a manufacturing name and I would get a new title as a new built boat by me. My clerk in Kentucky told me the same thing. Anyway, I think I may still have a phone number of the guy I bought it from and may be able to find out possible what the boat of yours is if they are for sure alike. Best I can do for you and hope I have helped some or can help.

Jdoakjr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jdoakjr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:45 am

Lwells:
Thanks for the help. Here, we submit all paperwork to the state tax office, they contact DPS, schedule an inspection by the Lake Patrol, and everyone is satisfied, issue a HIN and start the paperwork for titling. I may have to call it a "homebuilt", then show receipts for materials. PITA!!!

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Jdoakjr wrote:Lwells:
Thanks for the help. Here, we submit all paperwork to the state tax office, they contact DPS, schedule an inspection by the Lake Patrol, and everyone is satisfied, issue a HIN and start the paperwork for titling. I may have to call it a "homebuilt", then show receipts for materials. PITA!!!

Where are you in OK, i just had lake patrol over yesterday cert another one of my hulls i do them all the time give me a call if you need a hand , the right clerk and telling them just what they " need" to know is the key

Anthony 580-228-5782 call,txt anytime
Hughes Airboats and Fabrications
580-228-5782
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 am

southern safaris wrote: . . . the right clerk and telling them just what they " need" to know is the key
Anthony 580-228-5782 call,txt anytime
Coming from a man who learned where I did . . .
AND has additionally refined the art to suit your LOCALE. .. :salute: .. :thumbleft:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Jdoakjr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jdoakjr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 pm

I talked with Anthony last night, and he was very helpful. Thanks to everyone who has helped!!!

Jerry

Return to “Airboat Talk”