GLADESMEN, REBEL FLAGS AND AIRBOATS

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

GLADESMEN, REBEL FLAGS AND AIRBOATS

Postby CHAKA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 pm

HISTORY, GLADESMEN, REBEL FLAGS AND AIRBOATS 1960'S AND EARLY 1970'S
Back years ago in the 1960's and part of the early 1970's the large majority of Gladesmen were Klansmen who identified there affiliation with the Rebel flag painted on their forward decks at there feet or tail rudders of there airboats. The CB radio antenna above the motor cage generally sported the flag of the Stars and Bars, also. These Gladesmen owned alot of land in the Everglades and a good portion of the the old hunting camps that have been rehabbed today that are still enjoyed. These past Glademen enjoyed family time with their kid's hunting and fishing and enjoying visits from time to time of other gladesmen they would meet along the airboat trail. They fought hard against the Goverment to preserve rights for the future of there children as you do today to save the Everglades. Most of these Glademen have pasted away through time and little to nothing has been said and left as an un-told Secert. It is time to let you know they were bigger then life and some of the first Gladesmen to make a mark through the glades in conservation and preservation of what you have left today that you call the Everglades. They were very good folks and were the back bone of todays airboaters. I am not at all promoting the Klan of the past generation. I am telling you the real hidden history of a real part of the truth of the past. This history can not be erased as it is what it was ( History of the Everglades ). I knew and grew up around these good folks as my father and his father did before him. what I saw growing up in the Everglades in the 1960's and 1970's is just an un-told story that needed to be told. This story is written with good intentions to only share what the past history was and struggles we all stll share even today. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: GLADESMEN, REBEL FLAGES AND AIRBOATS

Postby gator » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:20 am

Good for you telling it like it is.
gator

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Re: GLADESMEN, REBEL FLAGS AND AIRBOATS

Postby CHAKA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Wanted to add little more information on ( History of the Everglades ) that is above on the early Gladesmen . There were some wooden " Warning Signs " that the Gladesmen had posted " NO * * * * * * * ALLOWED IN THIS SWAMP ! " They had them nailed up in cypress trees in the 1960's and early 70's. I am sure some of you remember them if you are old enough. There was one that was in L-28 area 3a forever. It was nailed in the intersection were the cypress trail and the Main trail split to the North. Once you crossed the Tamiami Canal after leaving the old airboat ramp across from the Miccosukee Village it was right there as you got to the other side on the north Glades trail at the split. This story is written with only good intentions to only share what the past history was in the Florida Everglades and the Gladesmen who were in the U.K.A. ... Kicking Bird.
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

Return to “Airboat Talk”