Who builds a nice galvanized trailer

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
jre1226
Southern Airboat Member

Who builds a nice galvanized trailer

Postby jre1226 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 am

I was wondering who builds a high quality galvanized airboat trailer. I have a heavy 13' 540 boat. It is dry loaded and unloaded 95% of the time. It is trailered mainly down dirt roads. I currently run a float on tilt trailer it is a good trailer but I think being aluminum it is to flexible for the extreme use this trailer see. Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Who builds a nice galvanized trailer

Postby OneBFC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 am

Why not just a regular steel trailer? Mine is 20 years old at least and its just primed and painted.

If you arent soaking the trailer in salt water, shouldnt need galvanized metal in order to last if the steel is primed and painted properly.

Just a thought. Galvanized will certainly last longer, no dispute there.

Good luck with your search.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 4B Falchon, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm

The first one that comes to mind is Cliff at B&S Trailers. I think his number is 352-591-2161.

I can't even figure out how old this one is (15+ years), but never had any grief with it.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:06 pm

X2 with Deano and OneBFC.

Mine is a Ram-Lin, painted steel with a drop axle. I believe it to be an '86 and I have had 0 issues. Tows, loads and unloads easily.

A quick grinding, some epoxy base-coat and a 2-part urethane topcoat about 4 years ago has it still looking new.

jre1226
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jre1226 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:52 pm

The concern with painted steel is the dirt road is like sand blasting. It ends up at bare metal and rusty pretty quick I have this problem with all my regular trailers, seeing as we are 10 miles down a dirt road. I think galvanized will hold up to the sand blasting much better. I will definitely give ram-lin and B&S a call. The pictures on B&S website are all of aluminum trailers and they look top notch I would imagine there galvanized trailer will be just as high quality.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 pm

I see, perhaps a stainless trailer might work as a somewhat expensive option if galvanized route doesnt pan out for you.

Can also try wrapping the areas that get sand blasted with a projective 3m film. Film gives a little on impact and doesnt abrade away as easily due to soaking up impact energy.

Oh, also can try a spray in truck bed liner material too. Anything that soaks up impact energy will help you quite a bit.

Again, good luck with it!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 4B Falchon, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 pm

I was thinking about the benefits of steel, galvanize steel, and a heavy mill coating system. When I began to think about how to test it I realized that if I included aluminum or stainless in the test, the aluminum would outperform everything for sandblast and then corrosion resistance. Is there anyway you could just use a heavier gauge or thicker aluminum to build the trailer like that with which they build large offshore dual axle trailers with? Or adjust the weight a little differently on the trailer to put more on the axle and less on the tongue?

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 am

If the sand blast the paint off, would't it also blast the rust off?

harsensmarshrat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby harsensmarshrat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:46 am

You could get a unpainted steel reset made and just take it to a galvanizer and have it hot dipped. It's not an expensive process.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 am

Gary S wrote:If the sand blast the paint off, would't it also blast the rust off?

Ahhhh. Confucius say: YES!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Where do you plan to use it 95% of the time? Fresh Water or Salt/Brackish Water?

Trick is knowing nobility of metals and how water/salt corrosion affects them.

Aluminum and Steel/Zinc are both anodic (metal disappears in a electrically conducive atmosphere (salty air) - Don't use a zinc primer on your steel trailer... couple coats of epoxy to keep a good life, bc if the zinc gets exposed it will create a corrosion cell worse than bare steel.

If you galvanize and impregnate the metal with zinc... the zinc will show signs of corrosion... aka you see a white film on your trailer but it is insoluable in water and as long as you minimize washing it off and keep the film there it will protect from further corrosion. So yes in time once the depth of zinc is gone then it will show signs of iron rust if atmosphere is right.

The difference vs Aluminum is that when Steel oxidizes (rust) it expands and Iron Oxide is soft and susceptible to cracks which expose more fresh metal underneath to corrode more.

Aluminum oxidizes and creates a very hard layer of protection. If you know anything about blasting media you know aluminum oxide is a very hard material... so thats why aluminum trailers never show signs of physical rusting. It creates it's on protective surface from the atmosphere better than zinc powdery film that rises off easy considering its a boat trailer.

300 Series Stainless is a very cathodic material (aka in the presence of an anodic element and electrically conducive atmosphere) it will pull metal away from the anodic material. So if you go stainless (which would be ridiculously expensive) you have to make it all stainless, No mild Steel Hitch or you will be asking for it to fall off one day going down the road.

Quick Chemistry lesson! And all of these affects are longer term except Iron Oxide is the devil since it exposes fresh metal every time it cracks.
2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

Return to “Airboat Talk”