Buyers advice

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
markosmcmahon
Southern Airboat Member

Buyers advice

Postby markosmcmahon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 pm

I am currently looking to purchase my first AC boat... Used stossel hull with an o540... I'm familiar with the hull but not the motor..

Any advice on what to look out for with this motor?? Any good material online I can use to better educate myself on the motor specifically?? What would I be looking at for upgrades to increase efficiency?? Thank you for the help..

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Buyers advice

Postby flcracker9 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:43 am

I don't have a lot to offer, other than to water test before you purchase. Be advised that this motor requires 100LL av-gas, along with aircraft specific oil like Aero-Shell, which both run more than conventional fuel and oil. As far as mods, without going into the motor, electronic ignition is supposed to be an upgrade over the magnetos, supposed to improve overall performance along with fuel efficiency. others will chime in. If this is the boat in Okeechobee for 15K, I was interested too, but would have to sell my current boat 1st.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Where are you located?
Take it to a qualified AC mechanic and pay to have it inspected!! (better to lose a few hundred bucks, rather than a few thousand in a week or so after purchase)
Do you have any information on the engine? (total hours, is it rebuilt, correct carb, mags, etc)

flcracker9 wrote: water test before you purchase.

x2 - be sure to run the engine for an hour or so at operating temperatures. Check for leaks, smoke, idle, WOT, stop & start engine, etc.
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

markosmcmahon
Southern Airboat Member

Postby markosmcmahon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:43 pm

flcracker9 wrote:I don't have a lot to offer, other than to water test before you purchase. Be advised that this motor requires 100LL av-gas, along with aircraft specific oil like Aero-Shell, which both run more than conventional fuel and oil. As far as mods, without going into the motor, electronic ignition is supposed to be an upgrade over the magnetos, supposed to improve overall performance along with fuel efficiency. others will chime in. If this is the boat in Okeechobee for 15K, I was interested too, but would have to sell my current boat 1st.

I really appreciate the advice... I know the current owner and plan on taking it out for the day.. did some research on a leak down test I plan to have to done prior to purchase... this boat is actually in palm beach county.. thanks again!!

markosmcmahon
Southern Airboat Member

Postby markosmcmahon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:47 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:Where are you located?
Take it to a qualified AC mechanic and pay to have it inspected!! (better to lose a few hundred bucks, rather than a few thousand in a week or so after purchase)
Do you have any information on the engine? (total hours, is it rebuilt, correct carb, mags, etc)

flcracker9 wrote: water test before you purchase.

x2 - be sure to run the engine for an hour or so at operating temperatures. Check for leaks, smoke, idle, WOT, stop & start engine, etc.

I'm located in palm beach county, I'm sure I could call around to find an aircraft mechanic in the area...

I know the owner well.. the motor was rebuilt a few years ago and recently serviced within the last year.. unfortunately it sits idle as he doesn't have the time to take it out... i plan on doing a leak down test prior to purchase as well.. nonetheless I appreciate the advice and input !

Return to “Airboat Talk”