Scorpion Airboats

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
Jeffro45
Southern Airboat Member

Scorpion Airboats

Postby Jeffro45 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Has anyone did any business with Scorpion Airboats in O'Brien, FLORIDA? I've been thinking about getting into airboating, and would be interested in some feedback on getting started. Buying new, or used. Car engines verses aircraft. Operating costs, etc. Thanks for a great app! I've really been enjoying reading all the discussions!

Sent from my E6782 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Scorpion Airboats

Postby CarMotorBarge » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:04 pm

All of the different boats have their advantages and disadvantages. Where do you live at and where do you plan to ride? Certain styles of boats do better depending on where you will be riding.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.68 Rotator soft drive swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer
Member of Seminole Airboat Club

Jeffro45
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jeffro45 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 pm

I live in Franklin, Georgia. But I was born and raised in Clewiston, FL. I'd like to be able to get back "home" and run in the Everglades/ Lake Okeechobee area, and Lake Seminole in south Georgia. I have absolutely no experience at airboats although I owned a bass boat for several years (apples and oranges I know). But I'd probably want something for running in deep water (rim canal/ Okeechobee) sometimes, but mostly for running shallower water. I'd want something that isn't so easy to sink with my lack of experience. Thanks for your response to my question.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 am

Scorpion (Lee & Judy) built my boat in 09. Good folks. Good running sled. Rides flat. I run the Glades. If you're going to run deep water, have it built with higher freeboard and big enough to safely carry the payload. Power it accordingly.
My boat is 12 x 7 with .125" hull.
For more historical info, do a search.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 pm

I run my Airboat in Franklin GA all the time, was out there this week end, lot of deep water out there so I would highly recommend a deep water boat they are much more versatile if you going to be running lots of different places. I am also a U.S Department of Interior Airboat Operator instructor and I highly advise you to get some kind of training before jumping into an Airboat green they are nothing like the bass boat you had and the last thing I would want is to get a call from Heard county do or DNR that you need to be rescued because I'm the one that would have to come get you
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm

hope pic came threw .real good starter boat for u.
13'6 X 7'6 deepsided diamondback.with 2ft grass rake.
500hp/trq. Bbc 414 ci. With 2.12 rotator gearbox swinging a 3bld whisper tip 79in.
Plz besafe with whatever u get its ur life and others too. :rebel: :angel4:
Attachments
CAM00082.jpg
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 pm

that is a all steel motor. I have had 3 people loaded down. And going across lake Washington in the middle of lake let off the gas and never had water come over the back and this lake is deep in the middle. Olz besafe y all. :rebel:

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Mon May 01, 2017 8:06 pm

a deep sided boat is what you should start with, you can run deep water and skinny water. I have one and ride the Glades, Lake "O", Kissimee, and gator hunt Columbia County in North Florida with out worry of deep water
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

Jeffro45
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jeffro45 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Y'all are a big help!

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 am

here's my other boat AC boat io-540 angle valve 300hp.13x7 old school alumn-tec hull deepsided 1988 was one of the first hulls they built.same thing i could let off in middle of lake and no water over the back.plz besafe out there jeffro and these boats can get u in trouble real quick so plz take all we have to say to heart it's ur life and others too and plz do a check of ur boat everytime BEFORE u even fire it up in yard.it's just like a pilot does before take off do SAFETY CHECK look at everything if something catches ur eye check it now before u leave the yard or when ur out in the swamp could keep u from being stranded out in swamp.y all plz besafe out there. :rebel:
Attachments
CAM00759.jpg

Jeffro45
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jeffro45 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Preciate ya Jamie!

captozzie
Southern Airboat Member

Postby captozzie » Tue May 16, 2017 6:42 am

:old_glory: All I can say Lee and Judy build a great sled i use mine for touring she runs about 309 days a year. Well built boat. :proud:
Attachments
IMG_0444.JPG

Jeffro45
Southern Airboat Member

Re: RE: Re: Scorpion Airboats

Postby Jeffro45 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 pm

captozzie wrote::old_glory: All I can say Lee and Judy build a great sled i use mine for touring she runs about 309 days a year. Well built boat. :proud:

Captozzie, nice rig you have there! Where is your touring service located/ rates? I might be interested in looking you up sometime! Thanks for the reply to my post!

Return to “Airboat Talk”