cable replacement

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
jeffmcgalliard
Southern Airboat Member

cable replacement

Postby jeffmcgalliard » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 am

Hello, I'm asking a question on airboat steering cable replacement, if I can't find numbers how do I measure for replacement, on kicker boats I measure from the end of the plastic sleeve, then add 18 inches, not sure if this is the same,

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: cable replacement

Postby Gary S » Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 am

Call Mako hose and rubber. (561) 795-6200 I think they measure overall, end to end.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 am

The answer may/will depend on which kind of a cable you replacing.

There are two different options normally used on an airboat,
those being Teleflex steering cable and the other being PTO cable.

The Teleflex is most likely what you are referring to on your kicker boat. It is smooth, black, and has a fat 8 inches of travel. IMO, this is the better option due to its additional strength and longevity. The drawback is that you would likely need to weld SS tabs on the ends of it to mount it in the typical air boat fashion.

The PTO cable is not smooth (it's corrugated or lumpy?), and is generally grey or close to it. These cables generally have six inches of travel. They are not quite as stout, but are made with attachment points that need not be customized when new, right out of the box. This makes them easier to install, as well as being the less expensive option.

They are both widely available. If you know which one your after, the vendor should be able to accommodate getting you the correct one, if you have the jacket/sleeve length (mount to mount) in hand.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm

make sure you have enough travel. how far cable moves. not enough and your rudders will not move enough for turning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Return to “Airboat Talk”