Site Changes Coming...

Site news and announcements.
rick
Site Admin

Site Changes Coming...

Postby rick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:39 am

Hate to say it but the classifieds & photo gallery scripts, which are two of the three main scripts that SA was built around about 12 years ago, have been discontinued and need to be replaced.

I'm getting close to having a new classifieds script up & running, so that will be the first. Been researching, but can't say that I've found the perfect photo gallery replacement yet. The forum script remains the same so there won't any changes in this area for now. However, the main SA page will lose the recent classifieds previews on the left column, but will probably return later on down the line when all site changes have been completed.

Hope to get started on converting the classifieds this weekend. The new classifieds script should be way better than the old one running things now. After the conversion, the classifieds will be mobile friendly and will not require a logged in SA account to post ads.

To be honest, I've been studying these changes for awhile & still ain't got it all figured out in my head. Can't get around it though so I'm just gonna get started & tweak as we go...kinda like an airboat project lol.

Rick

abrannen
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Site Changes Coming...

Postby abrannen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for all you do for us Rick. Even when I'm in between fan wagon's this site makes me feel like I'm in the marsh when I cant be. God bless you and the fam. :salute: :florida:

Frogleggs

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby gobblerD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks Rick. Its good to see you retired and went from 65 hour weeks to 80 hour weeks. :lol: :lol:

fhp6
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby fhp6 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Thank you for all you do Rick!! I use the site most every day and enjoy it thoroughly!
FHP6
Citrus County Airboat Alliance (Member)
"Lean Out"

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:43 pm

gobblerD wrote:Thanks Rick. Its good to see you retired and went from 65 hour weeks to 80 hour weeks. :lol: :lol:

Ain't it the truth, Doug! I'll bet he thought retirement meant goin' fishin' every day ....... by the time he babysits all of us and tends to Tess' honey-do list, there probably ain't enough hours in a day! :lol:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:26 pm

:thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks for your hard work Rick. I know what a pain it is. Mobile friendly will be nice.
Welcome to "The new breed of hatlights"
http://WWW.LIGHT-HEADED.NET
:old_glory:
:alabama:
:rolltide:

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks everybody. I'm just glad this old website is still around and that ya'll enjoy it.

...and about that retirement thing, I do stay pretty busy with my side work, however I like that because I need more money for gas & airboat parts than expected :).

Agree on the mobile thing PeaRiverOpossum. Eventually the whole site, including Airboat Directory, will be mobile friendly.

Rick

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby BenBad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Boy, Rick you have my respect for all you do. I am transferring my last 2 web sites that I support for others tonight. I just do not have enough day to keep up with the JOB and building intercom headsets plus trying to keep up others web sites. You also have your hands full trying to keep up with technology as it changes so fast. Your’ doing great from my point of view. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby K-mac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks Rick for what you do. I'm glad you know how to skipper this ship, I'm just gona hang on
you go ahead and let er rip. :thumbleft:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby gobblerD » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks for all your work on Gobblernation also Rick.

Aeon
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Aeon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:54 pm

forum changes are never fun. I am just about to migrate my site over from SMF to xenforo. The responsive code works pretty nice across all devices. Good luck on your changes :)
16x7.5"hurricane with a LS3 :) old school meets new school

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:28 pm

RIck you do a great job and always have kept SA fresh and up to date, appreciate all you work for us airboaters :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com/index.html

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:03 am

It just keeps getting better !
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:48 pm

In the process of making the change now. I'm sure I'll be working for awhile on getting the bugs worked out, as well as appearance, layout, etc., but I did see a new ad posted by someone else besides me so hopefully the new script is working lol.

Good luck with that forum migration Aeon. I have went through that in the past. For now SA is gonna stay w/the phpBB3 forum script, but integrate with WordPress...hopefully.

Thanks Wayne & Scotty.

Rick

Aeon
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Aeon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:20 pm

that was the driver that pushed me to xenforo the zenword integration with WP. Our articles were getting no love so having the ability for articles to show up in the WP Site and the forum with comments showing up as forum posts on both sides has proven to be a tall mountain but the beta site is working so fingers crossed.

LOVE this site and thank you. being so far away from face to face contact airboat wise has made this site invaluable to me. When i started rebuilding my boat i think i scanned every post from day 1 looking for relevant info :)
16x7.5"hurricane with a LS3 :) old school meets new school

henrye185
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby henrye185 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:06 pm

Rick I just got to where Icould use this site . :banghead: Now you are going to change the rules . Huh new game
:rebel: :old_glory: :florida:

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:31 pm

henrye185 wrote:Rick I just got to where Icould use this site . :banghead: Now you are going to change the rules . Huh new game
:rebel: :old_glory: :florida:

Sorry Henry, it wasn't by choice. The old classifieds program has been discontinued.

There is no other choice but to keep up to date software running a site like SA...otherwise it's spammers, scammers, hackers & crashes in the very near future.

I'll put my laptop in the boat and next time I see you on the river we'll setup class :)

Rick

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 am

Rick....All appreciate this site

Is this the final on the classifieds or just a work in progress.....would like to see post dates as to where one can see the new post dates without having to dig thru the older posts......just say 'in

Again thanks for what you do.....
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:03 am

Junker wrote:Rick....All appreciate this site

Is this the final on the classifieds or just a work in progress.....would like to see post dates as to where one can see the new post dates without having to dig thru the older posts......just say 'in

Again thanks for what you do.....

No it's not the final Junker. I'll keep all feedback in mind & keep tweaking it the best I can.

I just made a change to display the date on the specific add pages. Seems like that should've been the default, but it was not.

Also just added recent ads to the bottom of the main page. It's set to show 50 from all categories to start with, but individual users can change the category and/or the number of ads shown without leaving the page. The recent ads are in order & show the post date as well.

Check it out & see if that's any better: http://southernairboat.com/wp/southern- ... assifieds/

Appearance is a little bland right now so I'll be working on that in the future as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 am

...also forgot to mention that all ads that were brought over from the old classifieds have the same post date. I couldn't get around that with import method that I used.

Rick

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:09 am

Rick I noticed the classified adds do not contain SA members user names - is this by design?

Keep up the great work!! :thumbleft:

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 am

kwanjangnihm wrote:Rick I noticed the classified adds do not contain SA members user names - is this by design?

Keep up the great work!! :thumbleft:

If you click on the ad it shows all the info little better format I think, great job Rick
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com/index.html

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks Wayne.

kwanjangnihm, it is by design. Not my preference, but by design.

Ad posters type their name, nickname, or whatever they want now and are not required to be logged into an SA account to post an ad. The classifieds are not integrated with the forum right now and won't be until I can update the forum program and that's where my hands are tied for now. If I were to update the forum program (which it needs), I'm pretty sure we'd lose the picture gallery because that program has been discontinued too and has not been updated for some time. The picture gallery program was provided by the same people that provided the classifieds program.

Unfortunately this is just the beginning of a major site rebuild that can't be avoided.

Rick

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Rick I like the "SOLD" banner in the classified section. Is this a function done by the seller or you?

Great idea!! :thumbleft:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Return to “Site Related”