One star--two star--three star

Site news and announcements.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

One star--two star--three star

Postby newoldglory » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:35 pm

As I go through the threads, I look at how many stars are on the Avatar. I see many and I see none. There are many folks on the net that constantly follow SA but do not support it. It's like reading the news paper in the morning, you don't have to buy it any more and you take it for granted. It's like any business, you have something to offer and you would like to get something back in trade. I don't know where the papers get their money from but it sure as hell ain't for free. Same with SA. Rick don't have a lot of advertisement, trick of the trade, bait and switch gimmicks that lures the innocent public to buy worthless junk. Obviously he has something going on to support this site and he is constantly up grading to keep up with the trend. I like telling my stories and spouting off at the mouth (fingers) as a way to vent. Some of what I print is garbage and some of it is entertaining and some is of real importance. My point is--If you get entertainment/pleasure from SA, then please consider becoming a member, buy a star. $25 will get you inside to see what you are missing on the every day postings. You can applaud, argue, send personal messages and get to know friends that were always there--- you just didn't know it. Upper right hand corner of the page, look for "site support".
Welcome aboard. :cheers:
:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: One star--two star--three star

Postby Skeeter-Gee » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:33 pm

well said !

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Speaking of stars, has anyone heard from Scrambletown lately? :lol: :stirpot: :rebel:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 pm

newoldglory wrote:As I go through the threads, I look at how many stars are on the Avatar. I see many and I see none. There are many folks on the net that constantly follow SA but do not support it. It's like reading the news paper in the morning, you don't have to buy it any more and you take it for granted. It's like any business, you have something to offer and you would like to get something back in trade. I don't know where the papers get their money from but it sure as hell ain't for free. Same with SA. Rick don't have a lot of advertisement, trick of the trade, bait and switch gimmicks that lures the innocent public to buy worthless junk. Obviously he has something going on to support this site and he is constantly up grading to keep up with the trend. I like telling my stories and spouting off at the mouth (fingers) as a way to vent. Some of what I print is garbage and some of it is entertaining and some is of real importance. My point is--If you get entertainment/pleasure from SA, then please consider becoming a member, buy a star. $25 will get you inside to see what you are missing on the every day postings. You can applaud, argue, send personal messages and get to know friends that were always there--- you just didn't know it. Upper right hand corner of the page, look for "site support".

Gerald, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I see posts on here from 'members' who have well over a thousand comments on various topics, and there isn't one single little $25 star in their Avatar. They must be a part of the 'entitlement' mentality .... I guess it's OK to come on here and spill your guts on anything that interests you, as long as it's free.

When I see posts from folks like that it tells me a lot about their character. They're not team players, they're users, and that automatically colors anything that they might have to say from that point on in my mind. Rick is much too humble to ask for a sign-up fee, but if you're well into your second thousand comments on here and you still don't feel a need to help support this site? Shame on you.
Last edited by Olf Art on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:36 pm

newoldglory wrote:As I go through the threads, I look at how many stars are on the Avatar. I see many and I see none. There are many folks on the net that constantly follow SA but do not support it. It's like reading the news paper in the morning, you don't have to buy it any more and you take it for granted. It's like any business, you have something to offer and you would like to get something back in trade. I don't know where the papers get their money from but it sure as hell ain't for free. Same with SA. Rick don't have a lot of advertisement, trick of the trade, bait and switch gimmicks that lures the innocent public to buy worthless junk. Obviously he has something going on to support this site and he is constantly up grading to keep up with the trend. I like telling my stories and spouting off at the mouth (fingers) as a way to vent. Some of what I print is garbage and some of it is entertaining and some is of real importance. My point is--If you get entertainment/pleasure from SA, then please consider becoming a member, buy a star. $25 will get you inside to see what you are missing on the every day postings. You can applaud, argue, send personal messages and get to know friends that were always there--- you just didn't know it. Upper right hand corner of the page, look for "site support".

:thumbleft: :old_glory: :rebel: :salute:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com/index.html

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:24 am

Scramble town probably took a break after his guy sanders drop out of the race
"Success Requires No Excuses"

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby trailerdon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:37 am

Weather you are looking for a place to ride, tech question, or just some place to bounce an idea when you have know idea !
The SA family is always there for you. I would say that's money well spent.
Not to mention the entertainment value; a/c-vs-cm, sled-vs-open, eco-vs-v8. I get a smile just thinking of the exchanges I've seen posted over the years.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:11 am

Better then well said I just paid just because you woke me up. :cheers:

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:43 pm

I honestly didn't realize what the stars represented, now I'll have 2 as a start!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:46 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:Better then well said I just paid just because you woke me up. :cheers:

Thank you AND "flcracker9". You will see a big difference. Some you will enjoy and some will make you want to puke. Welcome to the family. :cheers:

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Olf Art wrote:

Gerald, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I see posts on here from 'members' who have well over a thousand comments on various topics, and there isn't one single little $25 star in their Avatar. They must be a part of the 'entitlement' mentality .... I guess it's OK to come on here and spill your guts on anything that interests you, as long as it's free.

When I see posts from folks like that it tells me a lot about their character. They're not team players, they're users, and that automatically colors anything that they might have to say from that point on in my mind. Rick is much too humble to ask for a sign-up fee, but if you're well into your second thousand comments on here and you still don't feel a need to help support this site? Shame on you.

This brings me back to a posting that I did a while back. Who are the ones that do not have stars. Are they honorary members for some reason? Members that have served our country and deserve free membership? Maybe they are but have not been recognized. (by choice) Or-- free loaders that take a freebee and take it for granted that they are entitled? :( If they are entitled, how do we know that so that we can appreciate and honor those that have given us the freedom that we enjoy today? . There was a discussion about how we can recognize the honored members by their avatars. ???????????? AND recognize the free loaders!!!!!!!!!!!

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:36 am

You gotta like peer pressure. I feel like I am back in high school. So has anybody noticed all of the paid advertising that happens on this website? Is SA behind on its bills and needs additional money? I haven't seen any financial statements showing this. To be honest, I haven't seen any financial statements at all.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.68 Rotator soft drive swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer
Member of Seminole Airboat Club

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:30 am

This site was better back when there were no stars for folks to worry about.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:51 am

Well I support this site it has saved me a lot of money and I do understand it takes time and money to run sites. Why would you not support this site? I don't care about the stars one bit but do care about the site very much. The knowledge on this site is priceless.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 am

newoldglory wrote: This brings me back to a posting that I did a while back. Who are the ones that do not have stars. Are they honorary members for some reason? Members that have served our country and deserve free membership? Maybe they are but have not been recognized. (by choice) Or-- free loaders that take a freebee and take it for granted that they are entitled? :( If they are entitled, how do we know that so that we can appreciate and honor those that have given us the freedom that we enjoy today? . There was a discussion about how we can recognize the honored members by their avatars. ???????????? AND recognize the free loaders!!!!!!!!!!!
I wasn't going to join this melee by commenting, but reading this post has left me unable to do so.

Gerald, you mean well most of the time, but other times you are your worst enemy. Do you not realize that you just hijacked your own thread? Your initial post was thoughtful, non-offensive, helpful and a good thing all around (imo). This last post . . . (again, imo) not so much.

Having been in Rick's position in the past, I know first hand what a largely thankless task it is that he is performing and I also appreciate and respect how he has things set up. Consequently, I have made similar posts (to your first one) myself, in the past. Sometimes everybody is not aware of how site support works and a friendly reminder will yield the desired results without offending anybody or starting nonsensical debates. That is all a good thing. In fact, your initial post did produce those desired results. :thumbleft:

Then you come back and de-rail your own train. :scratch: This post above reads like it is your intent to offend everybody that does not have stars, in spite of any facts that may or may not apply. Honoring our Veterans, (however that is accomplished) is a completely independent issue from that of Site Support. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. *Note that you can not Honor a Veteran offering him a free membership when the bulk of the whole free world has already been offered the same thing. :roll: If I could make that honorable claim, I would be highly offended by the fact that you just lumped Veterans in the same group as those having "an entitlist attitude" and those you have termed as "free loaders". Your post reads like there is a problem differentiating between these groups. This makes less than no sense.

Beyond that, I will point out that this is a sandbox Rick has selflessly made for everyone's benefit. Anybody can play, the only requirement being that you play by Rick's rules. Those rules do not say that you have to be a Site Supporter OR be subjected to whatever humiliation and grief can be bestowed upon you by the "Star Players". This is the attitude displayed by the above post, although I'd like to think that was not your intent.

Whether or not to require Site Support was Rick's decision to make, and he opted not to. There may be justifiable reasons why a person is unable or un-inclined to do so, and Rick has graciously allowed them to participate without being singled out because of that occurrence. To single out such persons not only serves to alienate them, but unintentionally makes it look as though you are sporting a 'better than thou' type of attitude.

When you seem to be as quick as I am to help out an airboat brother in need, I'm sure that was not your intent.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby pirate » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:31 pm

quote]This site was better back when there were no stars for folks to worry about.[/quote]

There are still no stars to worry about. Pay it forward or ride for free. It's getting to where more and more folks want to ride for free and not just here. Either way, it's a personal choice. I'm old fashion and have old fashion ways. I prefer to support this site. I'm not looking for a free ride. But that's just me.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:13 pm

blackpowderscout wrote:This site was better back when there were no stars for folks to worry about.

Really? I'll have to disagree. It's not about the money ..... Lord knows that when I filled in my Avatar I didn't have money running out of my pockets. What I did see was a young businessman trying to create something pretty amazing for the airboating community, and I wanted him to know that in my small way I supported what he was trying to do.

When I joined there were less than 2,000 members, but we were able to get Bud Marquis' old airboat restored, have a fine tribute gathering in Area 3A to give many of the survivors of Flt. 401 some much needed respect, a little closure for that awful night, and financially make Bud and Nancy's last few years a lot more comfortable ...... not because of my site support, but because of my belief (and that of dozens other early believers) in what Rick was trying to create here. The stars were just a simple way of showing that.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Deano wrote:
newoldglory wrote: This brings me back to a posting that I did a while back. Who are the ones that do not have stars. Are they honorary members for some reason? Members that have served our country and deserve free membership? Maybe they are but have not been recognized. (by choice) Or-- free loaders that take a freebee and take it for granted that they are entitled? :( If they are entitled, how do we know that so that we can appreciate and honor those that have given us the freedom that we enjoy today? . There was a discussion about how we can recognize the honored members by their avatars. ???????????? AND recognize the free loaders!!!!!!!!!!!
I wasn't going to join this melee by commenting, but reading this post has left me unable to do so.

Gerald, you mean well most of the time, but other times you are your worst enemy. Do you not realize that you just hijacked your own thread? Your initial post was thoughtful, non-offensive, helpful and a good thing all around (imo). This last post . . . (again, imo) not so much.

Having been in Rick's position in the past, I know first hand what a largely thankless task it is that he is performing and I also appreciate and respect how he has things set up. Consequently, I have made similar posts (to your first one) myself, in the past. Sometimes everybody is not aware of how site support works and a friendly reminder will yield the desired results without offending anybody or starting nonsensical debates. That is all a good thing. In fact, your initial post did produce those desired results. :thumbleft:

Then you come back and de-rail your own train. :scratch: This post above reads like it is your intent to offend everybody that does not have stars, in spite of any facts that may or may not apply. Honoring our Veterans, (however that is accomplished) is a completely independent issue from that of Site Support. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. *Note that you can not Honor a Veteran offering him a free membership when the bulk of the whole free world has already been offered the same thing. :roll: If I could make that honorable claim, I would be highly offended by the fact that you just lumped Veterans in the same group as those having "an entitlist attitude" and those you have termed as "free loaders". Your post reads like there is a problem differentiating between these groups. This makes less than no sense.

Beyond that, I will point out that this is a sandbox Rick has selflessly made for everyone's benefit. Anybody can play, the only requirement being that you play by Rick's rules. Those rules do not say that you have to be a Site Supporter OR be subjected to whatever humiliation and grief can be bestowed upon you by the "Star Players". This is the attitude displayed by the above post, although I'd like to think that was not your intent.

Whether or not to require Site Support was Rick's decision to make, and he opted not to. There may be justifiable reasons why a person is unable or un-inclined to do so, and Rick has graciously allowed them to participate without being singled out because of that occurrence. To single out such persons not only serves to alienate them, but unintentionally makes it look as though you are sporting a 'better than thou' type of attitude.

When you seem to be as quick as I am to help out an airboat brother in need, I'm sure that was not your intent.

"Deano"; you know as well as I that as soon as any thing is put into black and white, some ones head goes on the chopping block. You too have done what I did unintentionally. You put a lot into you're post that does and did not need to be prompted into open discussion. I look at you're post and a few before yours. and I see a big open door for what I posted. I meant well and never would degrade any one that has served in armed forces to keep America free. If we (or any one) were sat down into an open debate/conversation, we could explain what we meant by our statement. In "black and white", we don't have that option. I know that you too meant well but because of you're "broad analyzation and personal theories", I will no longer post on this thread. Good day sir.

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:39 pm

If folks want to donate that's great. But when you put a star or whatever other symbol you want next to it it turns into a holier than thou competition.

I did stuff back in the day for this place. I don't care if I get recognized. I don't need a star to be proud if it. If I never spend another dollar on an SA related thing I can sleep fine at night. The couple of you out there that know me, know I'm speaking the truth.

I certainly don't need some grown men insinuating I'm a freeloading, entitled, SOB. And the same goes for the other folks with no stars. I don't know them or their situations but it certainly does not require any sort of explanation on their part.

Every time I see this payment is thing come up I sort of chuckle. I know full well Rick wasn't depending on this site to put food on his table when he started and he isn't now. He didn't do it for the money. He did it for what it was back before red stars, when dudes cared about having a place have a good time talking about the stuff they liked. For free. Period. Next thing you know folks got their undies wadded up over silly stuff and we got red stars for folks to compare each other against and paid access. A bunch of the old crew isn't around anymore (I wonder why for some of them?) but every now and then we get beat up for money like its Sunday at offering time and we are all sinners needing salvation.

If you want to donate, do it. But be humble. Don't go waving it in my face and try to act like I'm less than you because you've got more stars than me. Because I could care less. I'm sleeping with a beautiful woman next me, I got two healthy kids, a job, and God is blessing me everyday. I don't need a red star by my handle.

I'll take the old Southern Airboat thank you very much.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:12 am

blackpowderscout wrote:
I certainly don't need some grown men insinuating I'm a freeloading, entitled, SOB.
If you want to donate, do it. But be humble.
I'll take the old Southern Airboat thank you very much.

Adam, I didn't institute the 'stars' system. Rick did. It was his way of showing all of us that he appreciated our support back when he really needed it, and a way for him to judge how well this new website that he had created was being received. I get that.
As for being humble? It's been my Achilles heel for all my life for not standing for my own interests more often.. There has never been a day in my life that I ever considered boasting about trying to support something that I believed in. Not once.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Well cant support had my day long ago.
Proud member of the NRA That i will support.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:17 pm

newoldglory wrote:
Deano wrote:

"Deano"; you know as well as I that as soon as any thing is put into black and white, some ones head goes on the chopping block. You too have done what I did unintentionally. You put a lot into you're post that does and did not need to be prompted into open discussion. I look at you're post and a few before yours. and I see a big open door for what I posted. I meant well and never would degrade any one that has served in armed forces to keep America free. If we (or any one) were sat down into an open debate/conversation, we could explain what we meant by our statement. In "black and white", we don't have that option. I know that you too meant well but because of you're "broad analyzation and personal theories", I will no longer post on this thread. Good day sir.

Gerald?

Stars are Bought Plain and simple! Most know who bought them and who didn't! Even the post number can't be related to experience! Your post says your doing great froggin and have a buttload of time to dabble in politics?????

Return to “Site Related”