Painterchic bought an Engine... now I need help!!!!

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
rick
Site Admin

Re: Painterchic bought an Engine... now I need help!!!!

Postby rick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Lookin good Tonya.

I'm with Olf Art about being proud of ya. I've known you long enough to know that Cherpa and Goldhunter will be on the losing end...but I do know they've had a blast with this thread and can't wait til you spank'em :)

Rick

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Nice! That old rigging was an anchor on a laser!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:19 pm

We all at some point doubted a short chick could pull it off, but I guess I gotta admit you are proving your feet do touch the ground........Don't step on the M&Ms.

I still have that airboat pole dancing kit setting in the shop, so when you are ready for the pole and mounting hardware, just let me know........... :fishing
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 pm

A few of Cherpa's famous jello shots and Painterchic could teach this green M&M something about pole dancing :lol:
http://youtu.be/QKnCLHX6X4k

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

bigkavr
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby bigkavr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Hey PC,

I just gotta ask.. Short legs, taaaalll seat stand, how DO you get up there? :lol:
Seriously kid, looking great!
How about instead of paintballs to "paint" the hull, we use
paint balloons? we could do it while you motor by at around 10 mph...... Ohhh the fun..... :lol: :lol:
Love ya.
B.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Kavr, where in the hell have you been! I've missed ya' on here. Things goin' well for you? Sure hope so.
Last time I saw you was the morning of that memorial ride for Bud down in 3a. Stay in touch, OK?
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cherpa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:34 am

Rumor has it that there just might be an up-date coming soon. It's only been 6 years. BTW if you're on the road today be careful, PC is headed to the Palm Bch. Show w/ boat & so called motor in tow.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Southern Style » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Is it together??? Did she take it in 2 trips and gonna put it together once she is there??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serious question... Is the motor and cage under the rodeo roof in the NEW class category and the hull and seat stand in the parking lot in the USED section class??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fishing :fishing :fishing

Just kidding .. I remember when she was building this thing AS AN OUT OF STATE RESIDENT!!!!! hell, now she is a Florida resident with an established BOOMING business!!!!!!!
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Dang all that reading and I still don't know if her boat is finished. maybe I should look her up on F.B.

Got to hand it to her, all this time and she had not given up.

Update : found her page on F.B. found a pic of her boat.
Attachments
painter chics boat.jpg

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Is that garage corner support actually mounted on a hull?

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:17 pm

from what I saw on F.B. she is taking the boat to get the engine tested. hope it runs great for her.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby R L Williams » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 am

Yep, like Rick said, we are very proud of you girl, just like a timex, take a licking, keep on nagging, I mean ticking,
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Yup, time for a small update... by small I mean I'm being too lazy to upload pictures at the moment... So you're just gonna have to visualize...

OK, got my seat stand and engine stand sitting in my hull, and went to set my engine... Well that's where things when a bit south... OK, more than a bit... I was doing more swearing than a sailor I must admit... My engine sat onto my stand just fine until I started to add on all the bolt on parts... My intake was my first problem... Let me explain...

Alumitech built the stand with an empty case of a Continental 470... I know it because I saw it... however, because it doesn't have all the jugs and intake and exhaust on it when they built the stand, my intake was hitting the stand all the way around when I went to bolt it on... so now I had to do some investigating as to why this was happening... I shimmed the engine up all the way around, I cut bushings in half, I did every ugly unmentionable thing I could to make this stand work. I FINALLY got all of the side tubes on where they weren't hitting the stand, but they were still too close for comfort. Then I went to put the crossover tube in the back, under where the prop goes on it... No go... no matter what I did, it was gonna hit... So while contemplating this dilemma, I went on and started adding other parts... I temporarily bolted on my mags (which still needed to be timed), gapped and put spark plugs in, put my injectors in, and decided to change out all of my exhaust studs...

Normal people would change out exhaust studs while the engine was apart, but you know me, I'm not happy doing things the easy way... However... in my defense, I really only HAD to change out one of them that was broken, but I decided after I got the engine set on the stand if I was gonna change out one, I might as well do it right and change them all out... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... (Stupid thought on my part) So now to take out those studs... I knew most likely I was going to have to double-nut them to get them to back out, which worked for most of them... They came out really well... Then I came to the ones that when you put the two nuts on to take out the stud, you couldn't get them to lock together to be able to back the stud out, one of the nuts would always spin and not tighten against the other one... After investigating that part, I soon realized that the threads in the centers of all those studs didn't really exist... so I decided to add in a third nut so the one in the middle nut could act as a spacer to span the crappy threads, which worked like a charm... I was able to get out all of the remaining studs except two... The one I originally needed to change out because it had broken in the dismantling of my engine, and the one I managed to break off flush with the jug when I put all three nuts on it...

So now I had to get creative to get those other two studs out... my neighbor came down and tried to help me by welding a nut onto the broken stud that was still sticking out of the jug. So now that stud was out... The only one left was the one that was broken off flush with the jug... Well now, this little bugger was a horse of a different color...

I called Tom Schmidt of Schmidt Aviation who told me that I was gonna have to drill it out and tap it and put a helicoil in. Sounds easy right?? Wellllll... yeah... not so much... First Tom told me to use a center punch to put a dimple in the center of the stud so that when I went to drill it out my drill bit wouldn't walk on me... Ok, step one Check! Next step was to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill up through the center of the stud... If I had done this like a normal person and done it when the engine was apart this mission wouldn't have been so challenging, I was however going to have to drill this stud out while standing on my head to be able to see it, AND get it in there straight so that I didn't have problems later with my stud being either off center and not lining up with my gasket or exhaust. It was a pretty tall order for someone who had never done this before... Soooo... Out came the drill bit... 1/8" titanium drill bit to the rescue... or so I thought... I started drilling out the stud which was going amazingly well if I do say so myself... until I got to the top of the stud where the drill bit comes out through the other end of the stud... My drill bit bound up and broke off INSIDE the stud! We're talking about a 1/4" up inside the stud... NONE of it was sticking out, no way to get a hold of it to back it out, and since I of course had to use a titanium drill bit, it wasn't like I could turn around and drill it back out with a harder bit... So now what to do, what to do... I can't very well call Tom back and say "well I uh, broke the drill bit off and uh... what do I do now??" Oh no... my pride would never let that happen... So, I started to do some research to figure this little problem out... YouTube to the rescue!!! I knew I couldn't have been the only one that this has happened to, so I started looking for videos that were about broken drill bits and broken taps and got myself no where... all the videos I found revolved around Machine Shop scenarios with high tech equipment, which of course I didn't have... I finally came across an idea that was so crazy it just might work... This video showed a gun smith who had broken off a tap and used canned air (like for dusting a computer hard drive) and a small pointed chisel to get it out... holy crap it worked :shock: ! Out came the drill bit and I was able to finish drilling and tapping the hole and putting in the helicoil and new stud!!! And as a bonus my exhaust gasket even lined right up with it!!! The small victory over that little project had me floating on air for about 3 days... LOL

I was now at a stand still of sorts until I could get the engine stand disaster figured out. My next step was to haul my engine down to Tom and have him help me figure out what my course of action was going to be on the stand as well as finishing up the rest of the engine so it's ready to fire up.
So I took it down to Tom the same time I went down for the Palm Beach Show here last week. Tom decided that the stand wasn't going to work and that a new one needed to be built correctly... So my engine came back off the boat, we finished up what we could on it as far as getting parts on it and as of right now my engine and hull are over at Dakota Airboats getting a new engine stand built... Once that part is finished, it looks like the last thing to do before firing it up is going to be adding all the hoses to it and dialing in the injection system and filling it with oil and whatnot... Then it's showtime!!! We'll be able to see if I can be an aircraft mechanic in my next career... LOL

So there is my update for the moment! I'm still plugging away!! :D

T :smurfin:
Painterchic Custom Paint and Vinyl
607-345-9394
PainterchicVinyl@gmail.com

www.Painterchic.com
Tonia Painterchic Suarez on Facebook
Painterchic Vinyl on Facebook and Etsy
Skeeter Bug Gifts on Facebook

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby gobblerD » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Can you speed this up alittle? They May ban Airboats before you can ride it. :D

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby blow boat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Way to adapt and over come girl, sooner
Or later it will be done!....it will right !?

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cherpa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:38 pm

I know that she has another up-date for us. That boat & motor has been down here since the Palm Bch. Show. I tried as hard as I could to get some info. outta her, wife even put M & M's on her pillow every night. I know she has a video out there somewhere. Come on girl give us an up-date or I'll show the video of you on the pole. That "apple pie" makes you do crazy stuff. He, he, he...

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Yup, here's my latest update!

After determining that my engine stand wasn't going to work, we had Chris Chardt from Dakota Airboats build me a new stand to give my intake and exhaust the space it needed so there isn't a vibration issue with the engine hitting the stand like there was with the first one.

I took it down to Tom Schmidt at Schmidt Aviation and he helped me get the rest of the parts that needed to be bolted onto the outside, wired up, set-up, lined up, and tuned up and then we fired it up for the first time!
On the first time of firing it up, it ran for a few seconds and then quit like it wasn't getting fuel. So after playing around with the manual fuel pump and making sure there were no leaks as far as bad gaskets or seals, Tom decided to try another pump and see if that solved the problem. Sure enough! That was it! It fired off and holy crap it actually runs!!!

Check it out!!!

HUGE PROGRESS THIS WEEK!!!! :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:

607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Sounds great Tonya....glad to hear it.

That Schmidt name seems to get a lot of good revues around here.

Rick

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:07 pm

I'll tell ya Rick, I can't possibly praise Tom and his crew enough! Not only did he let me hang out at the shop and watch and ask questions about what was going on, Tom would take the time to explain what he was doing and why. He knew I was there to learn everything I could about what they were doing with my engine and he didn't treat me like I was an idiot for asking questions. It was very much appreciated.
I must tell ya this though, if I had had one of those handy dandy engine stands like they have to rebuild engines on, my life sure would have been a whole lot easier! Those boys are spoiled! :lol: But alas, we got through it! :D

607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Sounds great Tonia!!!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Be looking for a small congratulatory card or present in the mail.
Probably show sometime next week. Congrats Gurrl !
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:02 am

That thing sounds great!
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks guys! :D I think it's coming along pretty well for a non-mechanic bodyshop chick who's never rebuilt so much as a lawnmower engine! :lol:

I have to admit that it really hasn't sunk in yet that it's actually a running engine yet since it's taken so long to get to this point... It's almost as if I'm still holding my breath waiting for something bad to happen... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know, I know... think positive... :lol: :lol: :lol:

607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:35 am

I have built a lot of Mopar engines for drag racing, and I have rebuilt several Harleys, But I have not had the balls to under take rebuilding an aircraft engine yet. you did a heck of a Job on that Engine,if the rest of the boat comes out as nice as that Engine, you are going to have a real show stopper. can't wait to see the rest of the Build.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cherpa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 am

WOW! SHE did it. Check out her facebook page. Goldhunter, I think the stature of limitations has run out on our little bet. 8 years 7 months and 24 days (but who's counting). People, this lady is amazing. Congratulations Painterchic you deserve it.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”