Painterchic bought an Engine... now I need help!!!!

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Painterchic bought an Engine... now I need help!!!!

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:05 pm

OK Boys... I've gone and done it.... (not gasping for air yet... but its certainly possible that I might be later... so I have the brown paper bag handy... you know... just in case :lol: ).... I bought a Continental IO-470-L that came out of a Cessna.... NOW, heres the first problem of this little "rebuild project"... I'm going to pick it up this weekend... gonna drive almost 10 hours one way to get it, (the gasping is probably gonna start when I have to stop at the gas station 20 times on the way and way back....lol) Anyway... seeing as I'm not even qualified to be considered a "Nubie" at this airboat building stuff yet, I'm looking for a downloadable service manual for this baby and I can't seem to find one... I also need some pictures so that when I get there to pick it up, I can ask (if I need to, that is..) for the parts that may not be on it and actually act like I know what I'm talking about.... I have the serial number off the plate that is still on it, but I've looked and can't seem to find any good pictures with little arrows or any other useful information or whatnot to tell me what parts are, so I can ask some almost intelligent questions when I get there.... anybody got any ideas??? HELPPPPPP!!! :D :D :D

T
Last edited by painterchic on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painterchic Custom Paint and Vinyl
607-345-9394
PainterchicVinyl@gmail.com

www.Painterchic.com
Tonia Painterchic Suarez on Facebook
Painterchic Vinyl on Facebook and Etsy
Skeeter Bug Gifts on Facebook

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Painterchic bought an Engine... now I need help!!!!

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:11 pm

we know you need help all right :lol: .............(oh wait did she mean just the motor :lol: )

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Yeah go ahead... laugh it up Sparky.... you know who's gonna be on speed dial for all my blonde questions don't you.... so go ahead... chuckle all you want... :twisted: I can come up with questions that will boggle your mind... Oh wait... I forgot who I'm talking about here... well I guess it won't take alot of effort on my part then.... this is JUST THE BEGINNING!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

T :D
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Ok Painter chicken

Now that ya bought an aircraft engine, Ill put this post in the aircraft section. It will get better visibility and more and morebetter answers for ya.

BTW: thats one sweet engine. If its right out of an aircraft it may not need a rebuild.

Did ya check http://www.aircraftspruce.com?

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks Scotty, I thought about that after I posted it.... (sometimes I type faster than my brain can keep up...lol)

The engine will definitely need a bit of work as to how much, that is yet to be determined.... it apparently had a slight landing problem.... I know there is a possibility of a prop strike, so I'm just gonna go 100% through it and make sure everything is right so I don't miss anything... well at least I HOPE I won't....lol I also want to go through it completely so I understand how it works as well.... this is gonna be completely new to me... I'm used to making things look pretty, not actually making them move...LOL Even with Car Engines... I know just enough to be dangerous and I know it... so I usually just stick to what I know and let someone else who knows what they are doing, fix under the hood engine wise... but I want to do this myself with guidance from all my SA buddies... (I'm gonna have to do some sucking up... I can see it now.... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

T
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm

ya like whitebear said put in the right section what is wrong with you anyway :lol:

Did I mention I was going to get my number changed tomorrow :lol:

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

bravo1218
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby bravo1218 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:52 pm

WOW T
What are you doing buying an aircraft engine? How many airplanes have you painted??? You should have got a car motor. How many cars have you painted? At least you would have had local support.
Now that I have abused you now I will say glad you are "in the fold" I'm sure you will have plenty of help.
Good Luck Tim
Hangover's last only one day
Memories made last a lifetime

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Congratulations Painterchic.

Here's a spec sheet from the Continental website: http://www.tcmlink.com/EngSpecSheetDocs/IO470L.pdf

It's a large file (8 meg.), but here's an old manual to the carbureted version: http://southernairboat.com/pdf/aircraftengines/continental/470/O-470_K-L-M_MO.pdf

Rick

bravo1218
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby bravo1218 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:57 pm

While I was typing I noticed you put up a new post. If there has been a prop strike I would be sure and check the prop flange runout for a bent crank. That would be a bad mistake to buy the engine if it has a bent crank. You would need a dial indicator to check it but I would either do it yourself or have someone do it before you put down the cash.
Tim
Hangover's last only one day
Memories made last a lifetime

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Yeh see if the crank is bent or the flange or neither. It all depends on WHAT KIND of prop strike. They can be anything from catastrophic to no damage. If the engine is cheep enough even a catastrophic strike is worth fixing. Remember props are aluminum but cranks are steel.

Worth looking at. Especially if you have the manuals to tell ya how/what things should be.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:16 pm

Oh this is great!!! Thanks guys for the info! Well here's the scoop on the engine... I spent $567 on it... I figured if it wasn't worth fixing, then it should have enough good parts on it to get me started on another one... all else fails... part it out and try to recoup my $$... it was a gamble I hope will pay off... but if I were good at gambling I would have won the lottery by now right??? LOL

To tell you the truth Bravo... to me... (being a chic and all...) Aircraft engines looked like they would be a little easier for me to figure out... besides the fact they are already set up for a prop and I don't have to mess with all the gear reduction stuff... I would be WAYYY out of my league on them... either way, I'm still in foreign territory, so I figured why not try something I haven't a clue about....LOL I like a challenge! I think since I don't know ANYTHING and I stress anything about aircraft engines other than to tell you if its a Lycoming or a Cont.... I might actually be better off than if I were to take on a car engine that I only know enough to get me into trouble... and not necessarily back out of it...lol As for working on Airplanes... I have actually painted quite a few parts for planes... I work just down the road from the local airport and every so often they bring me stuff to paint... no luck there on an engine... but parts to paint I can get...lol I'm also hoping if I have to hit up some local help, then I can find one of the Mechs at the airport to give me a hand... but we'll see.... gotta get it home first...

T
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

RiverRat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby RiverRat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey, painterchic
This sounds just zackly like an A/C engine I saw... I believe in Ohio??
Glad you bought it!

RiverRat
Beautiful Crocker Junction, Alabama

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Yup... thats the one! Road Trip! So do you think I did ok $$ wise? Or did I screw myself....
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:40 pm

goldhunter_2 wrote:ya like whitebear said put in the right section what is wrong with you anyway :lol:

Did I mention I was going to get my number changed tomorrow :lol:

Oh BITE ME! :lol: :lol: I can't be perfect all the time! I know its hard to believe... but I am human! (you on the otherhand.... the jury is still out on... :D )

BTW Your number is safe for a few days... the engine isn't here yet.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

RiverRat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby RiverRat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:53 pm

painterchic wrote:Yup... thats the one! Road Trip! So do you think I did ok $$ wise? Or did I screw myself....

I don't know, but I was sure eye-ballin that thing myself. I was trying to figure out who I knew close enough to it to look at it for me, but everybody I know up there is at least a couple or three hours away from it, so I hated to ask... so I passed it up. I couldn't tell from the pictures much about it, but if no crank damage, it ought to be a really good deal. It was a nice/clean lookin engine... for an A/C engine (he, he) :lol:
Hope it doesn't have any damage.

RiverRat

Geneva0550
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Geneva0550 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Congrats PC...The IO470L is a nice engine. :thumbup:
What do you mean the waters low and it's too dry?...You got an airboat!...ACT LIKE IT!!!!

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:31 pm

you and me both....LOL, but I'm preparing myself for the worst... just in case....
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

RiverRat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby RiverRat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:33 pm

It really did look super clean in the pictures... Like it probably wasn't all that old. That's what caught my eye the most.

RiverRat

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby nomad41 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Well let see.She bought a hull and its in Miami.Now bought a motor and its in Ohio.And PC is in New York.Am I missing something here?Or is this a female thing. :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA,BAHCC,OAA
http://www.suncoastyachtservices.com
14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Wellllll.... that is a slight issue....lol... I think I'm gonna go for a "national" kind of theme here.... I'll try to locate a part in every state.... and of course I'll have to make one of those little maps you see on the backs of motorhomes that have the states on them that the people have traveled... only mine will be for where the parts came from... :lol: :lol: But I'm hoping if I can get moved to FL by this fall, MAYBE I can have the motor done by then, so I can concentrate on the hull when I get there... but I have to finish the house first before I can go anywhere... I'm using the airboat as incentive to get off my butt and get the house done... :lol: :lol: :lol:
607-345-9394

www.Painterchic.com

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Didnt somebody sing about.....one piece at a time, and it didnt cost me a dime........ its a 51, 52, 53.....

Hahahahahahahahahahah

Scotty

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby bondsman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:30 pm

bought a hull,didnt tell me, now an a/c engine and want to move to florida. :shock: in the words of gomer pyle surprise,surprise,surprise.
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

Des Moines Boater
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Des Moines Boater » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:50 am

It sounds like you did good on the engine. I'm guessing the crank needs replaced for the price you paid. Tear the engine apart and send the crank to Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa Oklahoma. They have a web site and you can see the prices they charge for inspection and repair work. If they say it is all right, then send them the camshaft, lifters and other internal parts. When you get all the parts back you will have a perfect platform to put on your boat. They are so easy to work on that you will be surprised. Good luck and keep us informed how it goes.
13' 6 Lazer, 383 SBC 425 hp, 2.7 Ballistic, 3 blade 80 NGR

Buzz
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Buzz » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:07 am

Sounds to me like a new airboat on the pond called "NATIONAL VELVET". I'm proud o' you, Paintergirl!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I look forward to seeing your new ride when she's finished!!
Buzz
I'M A DYED IN THE HIDE REPUBLICAN. I BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY AND COUNTRY. ANYTHING LESS JUST WILL NOT DO. I WILL STAND BESIDE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND FIGHT IF NEEDED, TO DEFEND OUR GREAT NATION AGAINST ALL ENEMYS, BOTH FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:12 am

Painter Chick

I would find out how long that engine has been sitting and if it was in a dry environment
because if it has been sitting for a while it could have internal rust and that's a very bad thing
I was afraid that was going to be the case on Bud's motor but I did not speek up because I did not want to spoil the moment and for every one that was working so hard on the project but you see what happend to his motor so ask and find out how long it has been sitting you don't want a motor with rusted or pited Cylinders or cam shaft and according to all the Lycoming guy's you are going to need lots of oil and oil dry for that Clankanental :lol:
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”