EFI on 4 cyl?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

EFI on 4 cyl?

Postby Planeguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I did a search but didn't come up with much other than it had been done. I do not have any experience with EFI other than driving my truck and bass boat but I believe there are big gains to be had in performance and economy if it is feasible to install on an aircraft engine. Is there anyone willing to share what it actually takes to convert an aircraft engine to EFI? I am assuming the references to EFI I saw on here are not aviation systems costing $5K and above.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: EFI on 4 cyl?

Postby happy harold » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:58 am

injection systems are a fact of life in aviation. post your desire in the classifieds and soon you too will be experiencing the joys of not having to fool with a flooded carburetor. however, these systems are not without their own problems. good hunting.

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Dirtman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:48 am

Do a search for Pacemaker Performance and contact them they do a system for 6 cylinder aircraft engines that seem to work very well, I'm sure they could do a 4 cylinder system also. Not sure of the cost.
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Planeguy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Fuel injection is very common on aircraft but not EFI. They are just starting to play with it in aviation and it is VERY expensive over there. In fact, even just electronic ignition is generally allowed to only replace one magneto on a "certified" airframe. It is getting better but aviation is far behind the rest of the world because frivolous law suits made manufacturers liable for their products forever regardless of how they were maintained or used making hard to find people (or companies) willing to step up and provide new tech.

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Planeguy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:06 pm

I found Pacemaker. It dawned on me I should try searching this forum instead of the internet in general.

jaysmiths
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jaysmiths » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:25 pm

I recently converted a Continental o-470 to injection, it runs good.

If you have the continental "fuel control unit" and a pump (mechanical or electric) that delivers the right volume and pressure, all you need is to route the fuel to the cylinders and through an injector. Continental calls the injector a "nozzle".

It seems much more complicated than it is. Homework is required! Google kelly aerospace TCM fuel injection.....

schmidtav2
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby schmidtav2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:50 am

Pacemaker did their EFI and electronic ignition on our 4 cyl Lycoming, it works awesome, if you can justify the cost, it's well worth the gains.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”