V8 continental ground power oil leak

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Jonesy12
Southern Airboat Member

V8 continental ground power oil leak

Postby Jonesy12 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 pm

So I just bought this boat, it is a v8 continental ground power engine. This is my first time owning an airboat and I have a lot of questions.

How many quarts of oil should this engine take? I think I overfilled it going by digstick. I'm guess it has somewhere between 14 and 18 quarts. I'm reading that they should only have 10-12 quarts. Some pointers would be great.

I'm finding that the motor is blowing some serious oil. There is some oil leaking from the jugs but not much, my first thought was rings?

How much does it cost to install rings?

I am currently running avgas, oil pressure is good, stays between 40-60. When I hit the gas hard, it has black and grey smoke coming out of the exhaust. What is causing this?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: V8 continental ground power oil leak

Postby John Fenner » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 am

Welcome to the forum and to the addiction, if it is blowing oil out of the breather(s) it is likely worn rings as well as ring lands, a proper leakdown test will determine what cylinders are weak and give you an idea on how far it needs to be repaired, I would suggest a full top overhaul and replace the pistons with 535133 or 640518 pistons to get all of the energy out of the 100ll Avgas.
Also when the cylinders are apart for valve job, have the exhaust ports inspected for welded and refacing in the past, if this has been done to any of them, have oversize seats installed as these are likely to drop seats.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Jonesy12
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jonesy12 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:46 pm

I was told that the motor was just redone about 30 hours ago! Is it true that the ring need time to set?
Im going to fill it up and run it again to see exactly how much it's burning.

Could it possibly be the gaskets from overfilling the oil?

If it's burning oil would the smoke have a more blue tent? There is slight smoke when I hit the gas and let off it, I was told it could be carbon burn off.

It's not blowing oil out of the engine breather, however, a little white smoke is coming out.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am

Ok then, it very well could be rings seating in, the puff of smoke could be oil passing by the intake valve guides, if blowby is minimal then don't worry about that, if you clean it and locate the leaks to address.
I never finish anyth,,,.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 am

welcome aboard

couple things your overlooking ;
a V8 is one of them nasty car motors (you have a pe-200 gpu)
if it has 30 hours the rings should have been seated by now unless they where feathered
the leakdown test mentioned earlier is key thing to finding a better idea of what your exact issue is

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:36 am

If your 2 to 6 qt over full you will be blowing oil all over everything too.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”