Case Magneto Reliability (Continental pe-60) ?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Case Magneto Reliability (Continental pe-60) ?

Postby FastrackBAW » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi all,

I purchased my "scoot" (airboat) March 2016. From a certified aircraft mechanic. It's a "Continental pe-60", he said they were rebuilt when he bought them (he bought 7 of them). This was his scoot and said it had approx. 35hrs. I've since put 12hrs on it (I have an hour meter now)

I have yet to determine what WOT RPM's are. He said it's propped correctly (Sensenich 60x32), which I believe, since he knows his stuff. I've installed a Faria tach and verified with my laser tach it's reading low, so I need to adjust the tach.

However at WOT, I see fire out of the Port Exhaust and pretty sure I heard a mis-fire. At night time the headers are bright red (I do not have my CHT gauges hooked up yet).

I've ordered a Mag timing device and piston stop from Aircraft spruce, I've read here that it be set to 25 degrees BTDC. So I'll be checking that. Is 25 degree BTDC good for 91 octane?

BTW. I run Shell 91 octane - No ethanol - with lead additive (It seems to shutdown much better since I put in the lead additive). (I had fire out of the exhaust before the lead additive).

I've also checked for Intake leaks using a Quick Starter.

Is this mag trust-worthily ? Since it only has a single mag it's kinda important. Any idea what Slick model would fit this ? Only thing I can find is "Case 64730", but I suspect this is a serial # or something. Can I remove the cover and clean out the carbon build up if present? I've found many how-to's but nothing on this oldie.

Engine:
IMG_2565_576x768.JPG

Mag:
IMG_7193_576x768.JPG

IMG_7195_576x768.JPG

Ben

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Case Magneto Reliability (Continental pe-60) ?

Postby GMAC 76 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:54 pm

put a bendix 20 series with 7mm metallic core wires on it and eliminate that ol tractor mag

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Lol. Yeah I've read it's considered a tractor mag and not very reliable. Since I use this to travel over water/ice/snow I want something that's reliable. Granted dual mags would be the best but it adds additional weight and more maintenance.

EDIT: which Bendix series 20? Will the drive gear swap over ? I'm having hard time finding info on my motor.

Ben
Last edited by FastrackBAW on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 pm

PM GMAC76. he is a member on here and he's the guy who redoes my mags. I trust him. nice guy and knows mags. maybe he can help you out or point you in the right direction.

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 pm

jopete wrote:PM GMAC76. he is a member on here and he's the guy who redoes my mags. I trust him. nice guy and knows mags. maybe he can help you out or point you in the right direction.

PM'd great guy answered all my questions he is gonna hook me up.

Ben

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:40 pm

great!! I am glad he could help!!

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Just an update, Greg is GREAT to deal with.

My little PE-60 is now running a Bendix 1200 supplied and newly rebuilt by Greg, I also switched to Automotive plugs (AB6's - well actually tractor plugs). This motor never ran right, always kinda missed when the throttle was pressed, was not smooth on acceleration with quite a vibration around 2200rpm or so. That is ALL GONE. The motor is super smooth now. Even at idle, you'd think it was a new motor!

The quality of the build is impressive. I've had questions along the way and Greg was able to answer all of them. The plug wires are "real rubber" not the Chinese smelling stuff :)

I installed the mag as Greg suggested, 30 BTDC with an impulse of 35 (so 5 ATDC). Cranks right up, I haven't tried propping it yet :)

On a side note.. being stuck at 5F the last few days and Greg talking about Gator hunting (when the season is open), makes me really want to go. Sounds exciting! Frogging sounds fun too!

FYI mine was the first build Greg has sent to Canada as well!

Ben

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”