Faria Tach Calibration PE-60 - How-to without removing prop!?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Faria Tach Calibration PE-60 - How-to without removing prop!?

Postby FastrackBAW » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 am

I have a Faria Tach 32942 and it requires calibration, at 1,000rpm my laser tach is reading 1,325rpm. It uses a tach sender on a Continental PE-60, I have the tach set to 1/2:1.

Of course all these tachs have a linear error rate, higher the rpm, higher % of error. Instructions say calibration "above 1,000 rpm"

How can I safely do this? I don't want to run it without a prop! Tie it down and shoot for 1,500 rpm? It'll probably be off at WOT though.

I did this in my boat during the summer and of course it has neutral :) Makes it a bit easier.. LOL

Ben

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Faria Tach Calibration PE-60 - How-to without removing prop!?

Postby FastrackBAW » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:53 pm

No one?

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Have you thought about buying a MINI-TACH. They are very cheap and will work on any gas engine from one cylinder to eight cylinder and all you have to do is wrap a wire around one of the plug wires, set the tachometer to number of cylinders and your done. Just make sure that once you wrap the wire on the plug wire that you bend the wire away from the plug wire that goes back to the tachometer

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby GMAC 76 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 pm

PM SENT

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Yeah I read about tiny techs I read they don't work very well with mags.

I already spent money on this Faria diesel tach and sender which are brand new so I'm not going to buy something else.

Ben

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Enlighten me, please.

What will happen if you run it with the prop off ?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 am

Well my first thought was start it with the prop on and warm it up. Remove the prop and start it, but it could easily over rev??

Many posts on here that strongly advise against starting it without a prop..

I know with my snowmobile starting it without the drive clutch it revs very quickly but can be controlled if you don't mash the throttle!

Ben

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 am

Deano,
Check this page out...
http://www.avweb.com/news/features/Fire ... 662-1.html
One last point: Do not run the engine without the propeller in place. The engine needs to have a load on it to function properly, and damage to internal components can result if you run the engine without a prop. Besides that, there is nothing to secure the starter ring gear to the crankshaft if there is no prop installed.

It is excepted practice with aviation engines that if you run it without a propeller, it should have a test club installed at a min.
Test clubs look like this:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks, Cowboy. I guess I should have allowed for installing some type of 'test club', I kind of figured that was a given since without it the flywheel/ring gear is absent.

Mine surely did not look like that. I made something similar (functionally, not cosmetically :lol: ) by using 'glass to laminate a couple two by fours and spacers between two pieces of plywood. In my ignorance, I initially thought that I was compensating for mounting the flywheel and reusing the same bolts. Needless to say I didn't run it up to full throttle, I was just wanting to confirm things were according to Hoyle before I rendered it inaccessible. I really didn't want to run the prop with no cage, and in that case removing and reinstalling that full cage was a serious PIA. That's another reason I like pancakes.

Obviously, over revving would/could be an issue, but aside from that most other IC engines have some sort of neutral or disengagement. In general, two cycle engines seem much more temperamental than four cycle engines where no load is concerned.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 am

Mine actually has a ring gear from a late 50's car (I think he said), a starter from a 1976 Plymouth. The ring gear is firmly attached when I remove the prop. There's a nicely machined piece of aluminum that drives the alternator belt, which is between the prop and flywheel.

Ben

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:25 pm

FastrackBAW wrote:Yeah I read about tiny techs I read they don't work very well with mags.

I already spent money on this Faria diesel tach and sender which are brand new so I'm not going to buy something else.

Ben

The tachometer will work fine on a mag if installed properly. People install the wire going to the plug wire wrong and then the tachometer reads erratic but for $34.00 I would think that would be a cheap way to go. I got a $3500.00 balancer that reads rpm off the prop, shaft, or however you set it up so if you know someone in your area that has one of these you might get them to help. Oh, by the way, I don't believe a faria (DIESEL) TACHOMETER will work on GAS engines properly.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”