PE-60 Raw Fuel in crankcase Breather Tank

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

PE-60 Raw Fuel in crankcase Breather Tank

Postby FastrackBAW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Hey.

I installed a breather tank instead of the oil bottle with holes the previous owner had. After a 30 minute ride today there was about 1/2 cup of what smelled and seemed like RAW fuel in the breather tank, almost NO OIL. It looked off white - but very thin.

I've checked the compression (at Air temp of 2C)
COLD:
1 - 140
2 - 138
3 - 145
4 - 130

HOT:
1 - 130
2 - 137
3 - 125
4 - 128

Cylinder #3 seems a bit odd. Strange enough #1, #3 are on the Left or Port side, seems odd?!

The motor still has the original CASE Magneto, I'm purchasing a Bendix rebuild from GMAC 76 when I can, but I still require my Scoot (Airboat) for a few more weeks!

It also has the original fuel pump.

I've read if a cylinder isn't firing properly fuel can get into the oil or if the fuel pump is leaking.. ?? How do I check this?! I've also read a leaking float can cause this? But I'm not sure how?!!? How does raw fuel get into the crankcase this way?!

Ben
Last edited by FastrackBAW on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Re: PE-60 Raw Fuel in crankcase Breather Tank

Postby FastrackBAW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 pm

Seems this could be condensation and a little fuel from what I've read on the net. Next time I'll drain it and try burning some, far away from other gases :)

Ben

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 am

Have you checked the oil in the engine? If the fuel pump is leaking it can leak into the crankcase and dilute the oil and wipe out motor.

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 am

Oil seems fine. Still super thick , or is there some way to check it?

My oil pressure seems okay too.

ben

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby GMAC 76 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 am

if you find that there is in fact fuel in the crankcase breather tank...I would say the only way for raw fuel to get directly into the crankcase would be thru the mechanical fuel pump.

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

GMAC 76 wrote:if you find that there is in fact fuel in the crankcase breather tank...I would say the only way for raw fuel to get directly into the crankcase would be thru the mechanical fuel pump.

I kinda agree based on what I've read. I don't think the carb is leaking when sitting as it starts up easily. How would I test the fuel pump, I had it off in the spring to replace the gasket. I can pressurize the pump to say 5psi and see if it holds ? I have leak tester for my snowmobile so I can measure up to 10psi easily.

Ben

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FastrackBAW » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:42 am

Hey,

Just an update, I think the fuel in the breather can might be a false alarm and is likely condensation from sitting with all the rain we had for the last week (also just above freezing). I went for a run yesterday (about 20 minutes) and was running it harder - because of slush and there wasn't even a 1/4 cup of greenish oil/gas smelling mix. I also did my compression test above twice as I wasn't sure it tester was sealing properly - so I had all that add gas probably going past the rings (since I did it cold).

Here's the pics:
IMG_7267_1024x768.JPG

IMG_7266_1024x768.JPG

IMG_7265_1024x768.JPG

Ben

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”