PE60 or PC60 - Original Case MAG timing??

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

PE60 or PC60 - Original Case MAG timing??

Postby FastrackBAW » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:14 am

Hey,

I ordered the tools (piston stop & Mag Timer from Aircraft Spruce).

This engine has the original Case Mag - which I'm replacing with a Bendix from GMAC 76 - when I can use my Snowmobile, still waiting for safe ice.

I'm getting some popping on acceleration hence the reason I'm checking this. I'm replacing the CASE mag because of reliability.

So I checked the current timing and it's 36 degrees BTDC, the impulse clicks on at around 3 BTDC. I tried changing the timing to 25 BTDC but the impulse then clicked on at 8 degrees ATDC. It ran quite rough, so I reverted it back to 36. Based on more reading I can see you can't retard the timing as you need to be within the range of the impulse delay.

The question is. Is this a PE60 or PC60?! I found a data plate on Google image search that states a PC60 is 36 BTDC - which lines up with what I'm finding:

Anyone know what the PE60 timing was originally?!

Will there be any issues running this with a Bendix from GMAC 76 @ 25 BTDC? I run 91 Octane Ethanol Free fuel.

Others on here last March agreed it was a PE60, but is it? Was the PE60 also 36 BTDC? I can't find the shop manual for it.

Just after I got it, it had a oil leak from the Fuel pump gasket so the guy I bought it from (Aircraft Mechanic) showed me the shop manual (original paper NOT a pdf). I captured the page for reference it clearly talks about PC60!? I asked him what model it was and he just said "90HP gpu" maybe he just uses the PC60 manual as that's what he has and it's similar ?
IMG_2790_900x1200.JPG

Ben
Attachments
IMG_2565_645x768.JPG
IMG_2564_1017x768.JPG

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: PE60 or PC60 - Original Case MAG timing??

Postby GMAC 76 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:27 am

I was always told that the PE-60 was a 90hp engine with the timing at 30BTDC.....maybe its a different version???.....regardless that is a nice looking setup you have for sure.....I cant help but think the problems with the rough idle and running are mag and sparkplug related and not so much timing...those are very old components in that ignition system

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Re: PE60 or PC60 - Original Case MAG timing??

Postby FastrackBAW » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 pm

Yeah I bet your right. I've given up on the timing and I'll just wait until I get the Bendix from you! The name plate was one I found on google but it does match what I found (timing wise), very strange.

Ben

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”