0-470-11B Burning Oil

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
customgigs
Southern Airboat Member

0-470-11B Burning Oil

Postby customgigs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 pm

I bought a 0-470-11 surplus motor that has sat for who knows how long. It seem to be burning quite a bit of oil. I've been told by serveal people that I need to run it and let the rings re-seat. Is there anything I can to to help expedite this process to re-seat and free sticking rings or am I going about this whole thing totally wrong?

Anything helps thanks!
Check our Custom Gigs www.facebook.com/customgigs

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: 0-470-11B Burning Oil

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Either it's a new rebuild that is not broken in or the rings are worn. I would put mineral oil in it and try a break-in schedule. Run it through the rpm range for little while and let cool down completely. Repeat a dozen times. If it continues to smoke, pull the cyls, measure, hone and re-ring.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

jaysmiths
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 0-470-11B Burning Oil

Postby jaysmiths » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 am

I bought an io-470 a while back that sat for several years, did a piston soak withBerryman B12 and Seafoam for a week- you can only do a couple of cylinders at a time because the liquid will run out through any valve that is open.

After soaking, I pulled the prop slowly through and forced the liquid past the rings, you could hear it squeezing past.
The stuff that came out of the oil pan was very black.

Oiled her up, fired her up......ran 3-4 minutes and changed the oil immediately. Now running good, no smoking, good compression.
Lots of info on the internet about piston soaks including a procedure for aircraft engines developed by Ed Collin, the inventor of Camguard.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”