IO-0470 PUSHROD TUBE SEALS

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

IO-0470 PUSHROD TUBE SEALS

Postby flcracker9 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Any tricks to replacing the pushrod tube seals on the center cylinder? I can fabricate a tool to fit over the tube so I can push it in and compress the spring, bit it looks like a royal pain to reach them? I'm assuming at least the intake must come off? I already replaced the ones closest to the prop, and to get to the rear intake bolts I had to cut down a socket, and use a wobble extension just to get the rear intake bolts. Just checking to see if anyone had any tips to make it easier to replace the center tube seals!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: IO-0470 PUSHROD TUBE SEALS

Postby cowboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:17 am

Some have successfully used ty-wraps to compress the spring during assembly, in some instances. I have never done it myself. Twist tightened wire loops might suffice to compress the springs. Worth a try anyway.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm

cowboy wrote:Some have successfully used ty-wraps to compress the spring during assembly, in some instances. I have never done it myself. Twist tightened wire loops might suffice to compress the springs. Worth a try anyway.

Thanks for the reply Cowboy. I did use ty-wraps to do the front cylinders. Compressed the springs in my bench vise, installed the ty-wrap, slid over the tube, reinstalled and cut the ty-wrap. It did work, but there was more room on the front cylinder than the middle. In looking at it, I definitely need to remove the intake to get any kind of clearance to remove the tubes on the center cylinder. I was looking for any helpful hints on removing the back intake bolts, so I can access the pushrod tubes. It was much easier on my 4cyl Lycoming!!!

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby twister69z » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Snap on brand 1/4 12 point swivel socket . 7/16 hold your mouth just right!
Twister69z
Looking my pictures for 3 pictures of tools we use to install the tunes.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 pm

I ended up making a tool to compress the tube springs (worked great), and I was able to get to the rear intake bolts with a 7/16' socket cut down, on a wobble extension. I painted the cut down socket red, tossed it back in my socket drawer for future use/indentification.
Thanks for the replies!

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm pretty sure you can go to an aircraft tool or supply company and buy special tools to do the job easily. Not sure

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”