Built SV or Stock AV?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Built SV or Stock AV?

Postby digginfool » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm

I've been so busy at work I haven't been able to get to work on my Thurman. I keep going back and forth between taking the SV off my sled and putting the 320 back on it but the Don Davis is such a killer boat with that SV and just a decent little frog boat with the H2AD. I haven't decided to sell or keep it yet. Which is why this question comes up. My SV is probably making somewhere around 290 - 300 hp from what the builder tells me. It would be a great motor for the Thurman but it does have 10:1 pistons and a cam; in a pinch, I just can't throw some high test in to get me back to the ramp if I run short on fuel. I can get the same kind of power out of a stock AV that isn't running such a high compression ratio (8.7:1 vs 10:1) and wouldn't be as much of an issue if I did have to throw some mogas in it. Yes, the AV weighs more but then again, the Thurman weighs a lot more than the Don Davis. Any thoughts?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Built SV or Stock AV?

Postby mojoe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 am

Good question. I don't have an answer, just another question: If you run a fully user adjustable electronic ignition, in a pinch, could you run mo-gas safely in your high compression SV buy adjusting the timing?

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 am

Do you have a A/V? If your worried about the weight difference why not just get a strait valve?

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 am

if it we're me diggin i would leave everything alone on ur boats and just build a AV io540 wide deck 300hp @2750 stock with that system mr.mojoe is talking about to adjust ur timing curve to run 93oct.and i ran on my io540 AV a 3bld 74in each bld was 9.5wide ran like a rapped ape.and if u stay with MAGS get reed of those 1200 bendix and go with 200series MAGS . :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am

1. Sell the Thurman
2. Sell the Barge
3. Enjoy the Don Davis
:toothy7: one money pit is enough - 3 is insane - but you are diggin :stirpot:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:1. Sell the Thurman
2. Sell the Barge
3. Enjoy the Don Davis
:toothy7: one money pit is enough - 3 is insane - but you are diggin :stirpot:

That is true. :lol: All but certain I'll be selling the Barge once I'm done building my camp. It's gotten to the point that it's just the wife and me 95% of the time, although we always enjoy getting friends out in the woods. Kids are grown up, off to college or on their way. Only one left at home and she's a girly-girl. She doesn't mind hanging out at camp but not into riding or camp hopping. I'm all for selling the Don Davis but don't want to until I'm certain I'm going to like the Thurman. And that's where my issue really comes from. If I put the SV on the Thurman and decide I like the Don Davis better, it's not like I can sell it with a 320 on it; that thing would be way under-powered. Plus, I'd be right back where I came from; I put the SV on the Davis because I was forever getting stuck on KCOL with the 320. The only way I can really do apple-to-apple comparison between the two is if I have comparable engines on both. One thing for certain, somebody's getting a nice sled out of the deal. :wink:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”