Salvage Engines

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Salvage Engines

Postby digginfool » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

I would imagine most, if not all, aircraft engines on airboats find their way to the airboat world because they are no longer economically feasible to re-certify to FAA specs. Is it worth the effort to convert an engine for airboat use on your own? Obviously certain items will need to be removed and block-off plates installed (e.g. prop governor and vacuum pump drives) and other items would have to be swapped out (e.g. 28 volt starter for 12 volt, 28 volt alternator for 12 volt). A casual glance through Barnstormers shows that there aren't many 'deals' on used aircraft engines but if an opportunity presented itself, what sort of things would you look for? Obviously, of high importance, would be how much runout is acceptable in the case of a prop strike? You see values up to .03, which seems kind of high; that would be quite a bit of wobble at the blade tip. Would a prop strike engine even be a candidate regardless of dial? Are the accessories that come with the engine that you would not be using marketable? That is, how hard would it be to sell the starter, alternator, vacuum pump and perhaps turbos and can you get enough to offset some of the price of the conversion? Let's say if I would have to pay $12,000 for a 540 from one of the builders but could buy a mid-time prop strike engine with minimal runout on the prop flange for $9,500, would it be worth the effort to save a couple grand?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Salvage Engines

Postby scottyroll » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 pm

digginfool wrote:would it be worth the effort to save a couple grand?

I'd say it would be for just about anybody but you, Diggin :wink:

But man, I can picture the new thread story if you did... :lol:
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

14ft Laser/6.0 LQ4/2.37 Rotator/3 Blade "K"

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 pm

scottyroll wrote:
digginfool wrote:would it be worth the effort to save a couple grand?

I'd say it would be for just about anybody but you, Diggin :wink:

But man, I can picture the new thread story if you did... :lol:

I aim to please!
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Some don't require much from what i see. I ran a 24 volt starter for years on my old boat.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Around this area a fresh Jurnigan engine seems to be the most prudent use of the aircraft airboat dollar in the long haul. For a 25% - 35% initial reduction in cost of a prop strike engine, the risk is not worth it in my opinion.

Orion
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Orion » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 pm

x2
Spent most of my money on women and rum; the rest I just wasted.

Diamondback 13'6"
Lycoming 0-540

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 pm

The little red stickers on the valve covers that say "Moore's Aircraft" sure makes you feel good when you run a mile over spring time sand and green grass expecting to see water around the corner and you don't!!

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”