anyone know what fuel economy a 572 chev engine gets
Captain Randy Schoneman
Barefoot Bandit Charters & Eco-Tours
http://www.barefootbanditairboattours.com

FELBER632

Re: 572 chevrolet engine

Post by FELBER632 »

lisarandy13707 wrote:anyone know what fuel economy a 572 chev engine gets
The number one thing that affects fuel consumption is the boat/setup, NOT the engine. If fuel economy is your main concern, buy the most free-running hull you can and ditch all the excess weight. A 572 ain't gonna get any different fuel economy on a big boat than a 454 will, and don't be surprised if it does better if the 454 has to work too hard.

Felber

Cody Alvarez
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cody Alvarez »

Are you thanking about buying a 572 GM crate engine or do you already own one?

lil_armond
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by lil_armond »

5, no, 7, no 2 yeah that's it, 2 miles per gallon. :mrgreen:
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
-- John Wayne

15' x 8' Alumitech w/ 84" 5 blade Superwide

lisarandy13707
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lisarandy13707 »

thinking about buying a gto 16' w/572 motor
Captain Randy Schoneman

Cody Alvarez
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cody Alvarez »

I beat it will run good.

lil_armond
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by lil_armond »

I would check that motor out very carefully before I bought it and if you are not sure let a mechanic look at it for you. A lot of those 572 get cooked and people want to bail out.

JMO
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
-- John Wayne

15' x 8' Alumitech w/ 84" 5 blade Superwide

JL242
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JL242 »

Is the 572 already in a boat you are looking to buy?? Or are you considering buying a boat and putting a 572 in it??

Cody Alvarez
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cody Alvarez »

I think it is a brand new rig. If it isn't it might have something wrong with it but i doubt it that gto would take a boat with a cooked motor.

lisarandy13707
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lisarandy13707 »

it is on a gto 16'. I have not seen to much info on 572 is there postings or articles on them/ Thanks
Captain Randy Schoneman

lisarandy13707
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lisarandy13707 »

it is a 2006 gto
Captain Randy Schoneman

Cody Alvarez
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cody Alvarez »

gm performance parts.com

lisarandy13707
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lisarandy13707 »

thankyou
Captain Randy Schoneman

Airboatcapt2
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Airboatcapt2 »

I no longer offer the crate 572. Too many issues and GM does not want to do anything to help.

I do sell an Aftermarket built 572 that is awesome. Make sure it's not a stock crate motor.

I like the 540 Better than the 572. As for fuel economy. Ummm, yeah. Get a Big Tank.

The Fuel Injected Engines seem to do the best on fuel. Just my 2cents.
Faron Floyd
American Airboat Corp
Orange, Texas
www.americanairboats.com
409-920-0716 Cell
Airboatcapt2@aol.com

Cody Alvarez
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cody Alvarez »

I had heard that the Gm crate 454, 502, and the 572 were all having problems and not living long. I would go with a felber or waterthunder and be done with it. They know what airboats require to perform at there max.

Marsh CONTENDER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Marsh CONTENDER »

Leave the waterpumpers in the trucks. GO AIRCRAFT. :lol:

JSlick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JSlick »

Dont know about the 572 but my 454 has over 750 hours on it, it may blow tomorrow but it has been nothing but great for me, it also has a belt drive as well, 18x8 with 100 gallon fuel tank, 250 pound genny for bowfishing. Just my .02cents

FELBER632

Post by FELBER632 »

OK, before you get sales-pitched with a bunch of BS and the actual spirit of your question gets lost.....I'll call this the "No BS" post.

Your original question about the 572GM. IF your main concern is fuel economy (puting boat design aside) and not performance, On a big boat needing Big Block torque, I would suggest the Levitator 8100.

There are more powerfull engines out there that are smaller displacement, but won't live as long with that cargo to carry, and other engines that do both better but are more expensive.

If you're concerned about the reliability of the GM 572, it really comes down to setup. I think I know these engines inside and out better than any of the people bashing them or sellin em to you. They ARE good engines. They have some weak points that when used on an airboat that will bite you on the ass, but as I said, mainly due to setup. If the redrive and prop are wrong, it will show any/all of the engine's weak points. If it's set up right it will live fairly well. Meaning...It's a relatively powerfull engine designed for a CAR. If it get's lugged down with a prop at the wrong RPM, you'll burn it up.

Fuel economy and fuel injection? No-Brainer....If the EFI is designed for overall drivability and economy it will smoke a carburetor. And if it's set up for peak power it won't. (Targeted fuel injection makes great TQ and max HP injection is fed upstream) I invite any and all to disprove me. OEM-style/Low-Injector placement EFI focuses on low-RPM TQ and fuel economy/fuel atomization. Max HP EFI is what it is...Fed upstream and the chamber doesn't know what's feeding it. The proper ratio of fuel to air to make max power. I have NEVER and I repeat NEVER seen ANY fuel injection on gasoline make more max power than a carburetor, and anything said otherwise in BS. On a good day it's down at least 5%. Once again, the invite is open.

Now let's compare the 8100 to the GM572 for fuel economy....I think the above paragraph answered it. The 8100 is a TQ engine that tends to get targeted better in redrive and prop setup, It has OEM fuel injection that is very efficient at the cost of power. The 572 CAN be made more efficient with the proper tuning, but in all honesty won't get within 15% of the fuel consumption.

On identical boats cruising at 30MPH the difference between a properly set up carbureted 454 and 572 in fuel economy will be meaningless (Once again due to the boat). A fuel injected engine will do much better. The main reason a "nasty" engine gets a rep for poor fuel economy is YOUR FOOT. We ALL want the power, and if she has it...You're gonna use it. The injected/lower HP engine just governs you.

SO after all my babble. If GTO has a boat that they stand behind (Which they always do) and the deal is there...Run the boat and if it turns ya on, doesn't push on the nose or drag it's ass. I say go for it. If you only need a 13' to do what you need to.....Get a Waterthunder LS and if you wanna save more gas...Get his injected engine.

I think that's about as unbiased and honest as I can get. For whatever it's worth.

Felber

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

I would buy the boat, sell the 572 and buy a Felber or Waterthunder motor to get the job done. There is a long line of folks that have wet dreams every night about owning that crate 572. I myself think the motor would be great in the middle of my living room with a glass top on it and a flower arrangment. Then again I have a long history of hate for any GM crate motor and I have seen that motor drop valves.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

Felber motor all the way, his motors are designed for airboats all the way around and they have better parts too! Tell him what box/prop combo your gonna run and he will dial you in with the power.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman »

i think it might be opposite with felber mydixie.he has insight on prop thrust that he only has i would say tell himm what you have for a motor and he can tell you what prop/box combo.or have him build you a motor and give prop/box combo.
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

Man Felber. i sure like reading what you write! Good stuff man-
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

I can't wait to get a Felber motor. If he had to pick the perfect customer it would have to be me because he makes big power and I blow big power motors up every season.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by emmitt Kelly »

I enjoy reading advice and comments from people who have been down the lonely dirt road
of trial and error such as Felbert and waterthunder.
the different arguments such as Ford vs. Chevy are really pointless...it is the person who
put the engine or boat together and the person who operates it and maintains it.
I have an old GTO promotional video and they are running a big block ford from 1999.
very impressive.
I am no expert for sure, but consider the history of the engine and or boat and the reputation
of the person you are dealing with. and follow their advice if you are looking for long reliable
service out of any engine.
A fool can blow up anything..nothing is bullet proof
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”