NEW Build LQ4 6.0L / 2.68 Box / 2 Blade SW

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

NEW Build LQ4 6.0L / 2.68 Box / 2 Blade SW

Postby scottyroll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:17 am

Well I thought that I could just walk away from Airboats for a couple years but its been just less than 2 months and I'm already gearing up to start my new build :lol:

I am heading to the Keys for a bachelor party this weekend and then taking Monday off to round up some parts in central FL.

My plan:
I am trading my 2.68box for a 2:1 plus cash in Orlando then heading to alumitech to purchase steering and other parts.
Then I'll head to Jeffords airboats to meet up with a friend who is trading me rigging work for my new boat in exchange for my old hull.
After that I'm heading Marsh Magic Marine in Bartow to pick up a Laser Hull they rehab'd then it's off to Plant city to pick up a refurbished 80" 2 blade R series prop from Sensinich. After all that I've got the long haul back to Jax. All in all its about a 1,200mile weekend :shock:

I'm still up in the air about an engine but I want to go with a Gen III block. I'm thinking LQ4(6.0) or L57/Lm7 (5.3) from a vehicle take out. I have a Holley 600 carb and would probably pursue an MSD box, with edelbrock intake to do away with the complicated wiring that comes with the engine.

I probably want to get an engine that does not have DOD and maybe get a newer one with the 58x reluctor :?:

Any advice is appreciated. I just started learning about this family of engines.
Attachments
trip.PNG
Last edited by scottyroll on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

14ft Laser/6.0 LQ4/2.37 Rotator/3 Blade "K"

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Scotty's New Build

Postby Tony480 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:02 am

All the Ls2 have the 58x reluctor...24 is on the LS1&6

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Tony480 wrote:All the Ls2 have the 58x reluctor...24 is on the LS1&6

From what I understand the 58x is on engines 2006 and newer.
FLAwless

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:11 pm

With the edelbrock kits there are a few thing I found out.

1st the controller that comes with the kit does not allow you program the timing curve, rev limiter or have the ability to retard timing for nos. The part MSD-6010 from MSD has all of these options with the free software they offer and is for the 24x style
You also need part MSD-60101 wiring harness to connect the controller to the sensors and coil packs.

LS1 kit is for 24x with cathedral port heads, the ls2 kit is for the 58x and the rectangle port heads. The kits have the controller you plug in the MSD pill for timing curve not the same as MSD6010 listed above.

I believe both intakes are dual plane as well. GMPP offer and single plane with the msd controller. Maybe some other as well.

If you have the intake harness and computer I would PM ls1airboat on here get the contacts that helped him and at least discuss the options. I think I would go that route if I did not already have all my parts. I you have the EFI stuff already it will be cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby wildcard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 pm

that is a short distance to travel 1200 miles in florida,I"d go for maybe 550 to 600 :stirpot: :rebel: gps works wonders SORRY DIDN'T SEE YOU WERE GOING TO QUEE& CITY FIRST HAVE FUN KNOW BUT BE SAFE :stirpot: :stirpot: :fishing :proud:

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Scotty u are Nutz!! U haven't been out more than 2 weeks.. I could prolly screen shot a text convo where I tried to tell u!! 1 does not simply walk away from AIRBOATING!! Well with out some type of therapy, which cost money!! So if u gonna spend money on therapy, it may as well be Airboat therapy!! :violent1: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck, let me know if u need anything..
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ffjpowell » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:48 am

Boy that didn't take long from our last conversation :lol: let me know if u need a hand. Cant wait to see it. :old_glory:
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: NEW Build LQ4 6.0 / 2.68 Box / 2 Blade SW

Postby scottyroll » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Well it's been quite a while since I've had any real updates to post but I did survive the bachelor party and Miami Strippers :angel4:

The box swap didn't work out. The guy said he had a 2:1 but it turned out to be a rare 1.53:1 which would have ruined everything. Glad I was taught to read the serial #'s...
So I had to call sensenich; they were very understanding and went ahead and cancelled my order. So for the time being I'm still sticking with the super wides and box which I think will do well with the ratio I have.

The 2004 LQ4 6.0L engine showed up in good looking condition. Hoping all is well when I dig into it and get the ECM and harness situated. 119k miles. $1,500 shipped to the shop.

Speed wheelie has just about got my rigging done and it's coming out the way I wanted minus those darn seats I bought from summit. They were expensive and a little bit bigger than what I wanted but I think they are durable and will look good with the seat covers.
Attachments
phpfraIltPM.jpg
phptTas8NPM.jpg
FLAwless

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ffjpowell » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:50 am

Looking good. Is it i Jax if so let me know if you need anything.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Thanks Jason. It's down in winter haven now and when it is done I will be keeping it in ocala or at the family farm in dunnelon.

The biggest task after Tom gets done with it will be seeing how the engine plays out. Its got everything needed to run and then some but I have no history on what has been replaced or broken. I am keeping the stock ECM and injection which LS1Airboat in leesburg has offered to help me with. The wires are a mess now but once the harness gets cleaned up and the computer is online, I should be ready to test it for a day then hit the water.

One possible advantage of keeping the ECM and sensors is that I am able to use the TORQUE app on my phone to measure just about every conceivable engine parameter there is via blue tooth and it only cost me about $30 with the module.

I've got $1,500 in a laser hull redone by marsh magic, $2,000 in engine and cooling, and about $4,000 for the remainder since I already had the prop ($2,000) and box (used $2,300) for those who are curious about building a similar boat. It's hard to build a decent geared Car motor boat for under 10K but maybe next time I will pull it off 8)
FLAwless

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Couple new pics. Battery box and radiator installed. Getting close to powder coating :happy10:
Attachments
php85BopEPM.jpg
CAM01171.jpg
FLAwless

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slidingforhogs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:11 am

Can't wait for ya to get it done bro so we can go kill some hogs.. Cypress is looking sweet. More water than I've ever seen in there this past week. Be a great tune ride...see ya in a couple weeks my brother... SOuthern style
11'7 gore ,
220 gpu swinging a woody...

Stomp on it!!!!

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Definitely ready to get out there and kill some hogs!

Getting a little bit closer each day. Hoping to pick it up from jeffords airboats next week and get to work on the engine. I also better remember to put the oil back in the gearbox :!:
Attachments
phpP5sFtqAM.jpg
FLAwless

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: NEW Build LQ4 6.0L / 2.68 Box / 2 Blade SW

Postby scottyroll » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:28 pm

I picked up the rigging from winter haven last weekend and drove everything to Ocala. I work in Jacksonville so it looks like the next time I'll be able to make it down there will be my birthday weekend on the 28th after going snook fishing in Tampa. I'll probably work on getting the necessary engine components disassembled and cleaned up for shipping out to a tuner for the ECM and harness modifications. If anyone has a good contact for this kind of work - please fill me in :!: :idea:

Then sometime next month I'll probably just pull the boat to Lowes, that way I can be close to figure out all the hardware I will need for the rigging, engine, etc.
After that I will tow it back and set the engine and gearbox with my engine lift. (I hope it reaches up that high on the trailer, Probably wont...)
Attachments
phpKVMtJMAM.jpg
phpntQf2WAM.jpg
FLAwless

Bagman
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Bagman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:31 pm

PSI for your harness and Jeremy Formatto for your tune. Any other help just let me know.
14 x 7' 10" DynaMarine Velocity, 2.5 Ballistic gear drive, Supercharged LS, 3 blade NGR
Whiplash Performance Marine

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am

Bagman wrote:PSI for your harness and Jeremy Formatto for your tune. Any other help just let me know.

Thanks for the leads.However, I called and spoke with PSI and I think I will just plan on having someone clean up my harness as opposed to buying a new one from them at this time ($800).
And Jeremy has not reached out to me since my email a week ago.

I got the engine cleaned up this past weekend. Hopefully I can get the engine set in the rigging in April and then start turning some wrenches to get the loose ends squared away.

I'm going to reach out to Jims performance in Maryland for the Harness and Jim at TPIS for ECM this week to see if they can help at a reasonable price.

I'll probably cut off the power steering pump part of the accessory mount and just leave the alternator because there does not seem to be any affordable kits and I also do not want to pursue tapping the head to allow for an LS1 alternator mount at this time.
Attachments
php2ov7VsAM.jpg
phpswws4MAM.jpg
Last edited by scottyroll on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLAwless

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 am

Hey Scotty, I drilled/tapped the the block and relocated my alternator down low on the driver side. There is a pic in my gallery (Can't figure out how to post it here). I also made a aluminum brace from the head to the back of the alternator mount. Didn't like just 2 130mm bolts holding it.

This is a link that bagman posted tells you exactly how to do it and what parts you need." http://www.retrorat.com/2012/05/lsx-lm7-low-mount-alternator-diy.html"

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:02 pm

If your in Ocala try Southern Bolt and Blade on north magnolia. Owner is a airboater and they have any nut and bolt you'll need.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:15 pm

barhopper wrote:If your in Ocala try Southern Bolt and Blade on north magnolia. Owner is a airboater and they have any nut and bolt you'll need.

I For sure will, I'm friends with the owners daughter and bought all my monster mud truck hardware there years ago. Took about the whole afternoon but they did me right and I do believe they have everything imaginable as far as nuts and bolts go, and more.
FLAwless

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:08 am

Yep I have been using Southern bolt since I moved to Ocala.

Good people and always support small business.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon May 04, 2015 11:44 am

I got the boat back from GTO and now the power plant is set in the boat.

Went to bolt up the headers and the engine mounts are in the way, so it looks like I'm going up-stack again on this build. I will probably do the exhaust different than last time though and put a U-Shape directing the exhaust back down and to the sides rather than longer going up and out the back around the cage.

I picked up my rehabbed wiring harness from a gentleman in palatka and will install it next time I'm in town but it looks good and the price was good as well.
Attachments
phpFuODvHAM.jpg
FLAwless

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby T-REX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:14 am

Any updates??
How much was the harness and what did he do to it?
Last edited by T-REX on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:52 pm

T-REX wrote:Any updates??
How much was the harness and what did hero to it?

It's been difficult to finish everything up since I'm living about 2.5 hours away from the boat. I dropped it back off to the builder in winter haven about 2 weeks ago and he's going to finish it up for me. PM me and I'll send you the contact I have for the wiring job. Each job is a different rate because of the variables but he saved me more than a couple hundo compared to the other people who quoted me.
FLAwless

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Hope it was cheap...you buy new harness for an airboat for 650

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I