RECYCLE

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: RECYCLE

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 am

It has been a few weeks waiting for CompCams to get our new camshaft ground but it has arrived. We are still waiting for the FE-Max shaft rocker system to be manufactured. With some technical assistance from Kwan I will post up a few pics of components.

GDR519 build

CompCams - custom grind roller camshaft
Howards - linked hydraulic roller lifters
Weisco - forged .080 pistons press fit (recycle)
Cadillac - I-Beam connecting rod refurbished ARP (recycle)
Attachments
THE GOODS!.jpg
GDR519 components

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Dirtman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Swamp been watching this build with much interest, Looks like there are some very nice pieces going into the make-up of the parts list. Just wondering why new more modern forged H beam rods weren't used. Is it the availability or are the Caddy pieces just that tough? Just wondering not second guessing :)
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 pm

Great question Dirtman and there are several reasons actually. First is that the foundation of this project is the JohnC engine and as such I purchased the majority of his engines components. The engine itself when opened up was something to see. After all the years of use it had almost zero bearing wear and just the slightest blemish on the cylinders and pistons. Mr. Branch and I measured the rod and main journals and there was no measurable wear. The rotating assembly was hot tanked and then he polished the journals. The pistons were cleaned and the block hot tanked and ball honed.

As it relates to Cadillac connecting rods they are a very strong component. These are fitted with ARP hardware so there is no real need to swap rods. Over the many years Mr. Branch has built and raced the Cadillac engines he has never had a factory rod break unless a hydro-lock occurred. That said, another reason for not changing to an H Beam on this build is that the pistons are press fit and I did not think it was worth the risk of breaking a forged piston for no real need or gain. They are a custom Weisco piston and run $1,100 a set. There is a balance consideration also as any changes made to the rotating assembly would require a complete re-balance of the assembly and components. So our decision was well thought and all of Mr. Branches recommendations followed.

The bearing clearances have all been checked and they spec out exactly where we would want them to be so I am not going to mess with perfection.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:20 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote: After all the years of use it had almost zero bearing wear

swamp or john - can either of you speculate how many hours were actually on the motor?

great build thread swamp!! I enjoy reading the history and seeing the parts associated with the build!! :thumbleft:
:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:58 pm

I have no idea Kwan but if Mr. Branches memory is correct it was built apx. 10 or 11 years ago.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:12 pm

Buddy built the motor in 2006. It took a while to complete the build. Buddy was Not in good health at the time. He was going for dialysis on a regular basis and on a transplant list. I honestly cant remember the exact date the motor was finished. But I can tell you it was worth the wait. Buddy is a true master with Caddy motors. We did not dyno the motor, but she made lots of power. I used the boat mainly for duck hunting. I never did keep track of the hours on the motor. But she ran a lot during duck season. We hunt hard and often. I sure do miss that boat. I sold it to a friend of mine that duck hunts as hard as I do. I never had a single problem with that Caddy. Just turn the key and go. My friend ran the boat trouble free also until a radiator hose blew and over heated the motor. If that didn't happen I'm sure it would still be running strong for many years. I had the motor on a 15x8 Hamant.

Here is a pic of the boat back in 2007.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:56 am

That was a fine lookin' rig, John. :thumbleft:

No doubt, ran as good as it looked. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:17 am

I would have loved the chance to run that Hammant it looks like it was well balanced!

Al had one years ago and had nothing but good things to say about his.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Stopped at the shop today and caught "Buddy" fingering the rings!

If I understand correctly the top ring is a vintage chrome plasma type and the other is ductile iron.
With Mr Branch you never know what they were originally made for as some of these old Cadillac engines he builds have Oldsmobile or Chevy bearings and Chrysler rings. It's what every is the best quality for the job.
Attachments
image.jpg
Rings

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:35 am

Shaft roller rocker system arrived so we should start to see some forward progress with the build.
As far as we know I am the only one who is running this shaft with FE-Max stainless components and solid machined spacers. We have one on the GDR542 now and it has worked flawlessly. The cost is a little more but it's hard to beat stainless!
Attachments
image.jpg
FE-Max shaft roller rocker system GDR519

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:01 am

Update from the Branch shop.

Pistons installed ring gaps and side clearances perfect!

Cam in, gear set drilled, pinned.

New Edelbrock 2115 intake ordered.

Side note:
Mr Branch is getting very busy in past few weeks. The shop is slap full. He has several builds going and orders for engines being scheduled.
My advice would be if your planning a Branch engine anytime soon call him now and reserve your spot!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:59 am

It's gettin' pretty challenging to find a deal on a 2115 ain't it ? :|
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 pm

It's hit and miss. I passed on a few over the past year not ever thinking I would need another one and as fate would have it when I needed one no bargain could be had.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:13 am

Quick update, got the 2115 Edelbrock intake and an Edelbrock AVS 800cfm used off ebay.

Almost all the other needed parts have been obtained and are at Mr. Branches shop.

That said we are in a hold, Mr Branch has a policy that if your boat is up and running and another client is down with an engine fail he works to get the boat that's down back going again first in most cases. That said a fellow is having Mr Branch assemble his components for him and the boat has been down for a month now in peak season. So my back up engine the recycle 519 project is on hold and this gentleman's 532 cubic inch stroker build is taking priority.

Once we get the project moving again I will update.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Correction: The stroker currently being built for the gentleman is going to be a 537 cubic inch with a flat tappet mechanical cam shaft.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Have not posted any updates in about six weeks but some slow progress has been made. Mr. Branch has been all kinds of busy with engine builds and since this is a back up engine I yield priority to the customer who has a boat that is without power. To add to his busy days he is planning to build an entire new shop on his property and has been dealing with the hassles that brings. I haven't heard anyone on Southern Airboat talking about getting a new Branch engine so either they are keeping secrets from their friends or we must have a bunch of airboaters who don't engage the internet. That said, he has so many engine builds going he said that he is going to put this 520 in line regardless for completion next. Maybe in the next week I can get a few pics up of the process but at this stage the bottom end is totally done, cam and timing set degreed and installed and most of the bolt on stuff prepped and painted. Next major task is going all thru the heads and setting them up. They are early production steel closed chamber heads that were max port and radius modified with big oversize one piece stainless valves. These heads will be running a single vintage Ford 460 racing valve spring and using the FE/Max Stainless steel 1:78 ratio shaft roller rocker system shown in earlier pics. This combo should have the roller cam opening the valves @ 600+ lift and be well paired for peak flow.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm

How about an update on your project, Sir?
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:43 am

The project is moving along, currently the heads are at the machine shop and that is the hold up.

New "tulip" style one piece stainless valves have been purchased and Mr. Branch dropped the parts off to them on Thursday.

When this project started it was to serve as a very capable back up engine but has morphed into a full on build.

The tulip style valve is shaped different than a standard valve and as such when it comes off it's seat the shape and design allow for a higher flow rate. If I had been thinking would have tried to snap a pic but been kind of busy with life. Will get things updated RickMcC but it is still a work in progress.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the finished product.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Heads are on and next step will be measuring up for some push rods.

Went with a different shaft system than shown in pics, needed a slightly less aggressive ratio.

The new Edelbrock intake is being dropped off tomorrow for surface milling. It seems that every one of these that I end up with need to be cut 20k to get a proper fit.

I am hopeful it will be on the run stand within 2 weeks

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Heads are on and next step will be measuring up for some push rods.

Went with a different shaft system than shown in pics, needed a slightly less aggressive ratio.

The new Edelbrock intake is being dropped off tomorrow for surface milling. It seems that every one of these that I end up with need to be cut 20k to get a proper fit.

I am hopeful it will be on the run stand within 2 weeks

That sounds like things are coming together nicely. :thumbleft:
Rick

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Today Dr. Branch delivered the new Gear Drive Roller baby !

JohnC your the GrandPa

I have sent KWAN a few pics and a video clip from the run stand but this is a no fancy bling build.

After a good prime from the drill with 6 quarts of CompCams 10w-30 break in oil in the 5 quart pan he literally dropped the billet distributor with composite gear in the hole with not so much as a wiggle. Mr. Branch said "that is the indicator of a very good oil pump to shaft marriage" and then he powered the fuel pump. She spun about 2 seconds and fired right up. Oil pressure after warming up (165f) at a 1,000 rpm idle was 40psi which for an at temp Cadillac on 10w-30 is awesome. After 2 heat cycles the sky turned black and the rains came today so we had to close up his old shop and let it sit until tomorrow. Going to put another heat cycle on the CompCams oil in the morning and then do a quick oil and filter change to 5 quarts of Rotella and bottle of Comp159 additive for the next session a 3 hour break in run interval. After that a decision will need to be made on whether it is raised on the 15w-40 "Branch Brew" or becomes an Amsoil 20w-50 Z-Rod baby. Because this engine may not go into service immediately Mr. Branch is leaning on the Amsoil Z-Rod because it is designed to protect cylinders and journal surfaces better during extended storage.

This engine is gonna be strong from everything I can tell at this point.

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby pontoon outlaw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 pm

:cheers: awesome buddy,,,,,geter on the water :)

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 pm

posting pics & video for swamp! :thumbleft:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Excellent! :toothy7:
Rick

Return to “Automotive Power Only”