RECYCLE

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: RECYCLE

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:51 pm

It is still on the run stand getting timing curve set in distributor and putting the Edelbrock carburetor on and jetting.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Today the timing curve was set and this is the second one that really required some extra effort to get it where Mr. Branch was totally happy with it. It seems some of these billet distributors are easier to set than others and there is no rhyme or reason as to why. This unit is the tall Accel type as opposed to some of the others you may see that are billet style production but made to the stock height specification.

Anyways, what the observations lead him to think is that the distributor under loading (gear to gear mesh and rotational force) may realize a slight downward force that places an ever so slight level of friction between the plate and base that can restrict the advance. Quite possibly as this new distributor gets some run time this may be negated as assembly components wear in. We resolved it by a mixed bag of remedies but using a spring pairing that had varied tension, not matched, really brought the desired curve. Being a true 11:1 compression ratio requires getting the timing curve dialed in so that the advance builds or retards as desired. This really will bring the power in early and protect against detonation.

Initial 16' / Full 32'

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby pontoon outlaw » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:54 am

What's here at thing run

Sent from my E6833 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: RE: Re: RECYCLE

Postby pontoon outlaw » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:54 am

pontoon outlaw wrote:What's here at thing run

Damn phone

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Turtle call the WIZARD he can put you on the phone with it while on the running stand.....lol

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Congrats on the build. Good to see her alive again. Say hello to Buddy for me, and post up some video of the final break in before she comes off the stand.

GrandPa

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:40 pm

She is all finished up John. Not sure what I am gonna do with it at this point. Originally it was going into a cradle and going to serve as a back up engine. It sure sounded good that is one hell of a rotating assembly. You should give Buddy a call, I'm sure he would like to hear from you.

Funny looking back to the first post it was 9 months ago, very fitting.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:49 am

Posting photo & build info for Swamp! :thumbleft:

"The final step was taking her off the run stand and putting the engine into a custom made cradle built as a Christmas gift by my dear friend Blu. We have moved it from the old wood shed into the new shop for now.

A 9 month project, but in the end another great engine was saved from being melted down. For those of you who followed the journey it has been fun with a few changes made along the way. We utilized a MTS roller rocker shaft system rather than the FE-Max for a ratio change and opted for a different set of fully ported heads with oversized tulip exhaust valves and hardened seats to enhance flow. With the roller cam its ramp speed is incredible and with the tulip shaped valve it increases flow as the valve comes off the seat which translates to power.

The roller cams Mr Branch gets manufactured are one off custom cams that he designs. They bring the full on power of a race engine with the low rpm torque and idle quality of a stock build. That is a true strength of these Branch engines if you ride, fish or work your boat not to mention the durability. No hack and stumble at idle just a steady rhythm of cylinders firing with a very mild lope.

Saving these old big inch engines from the scrap heap has become an addiction for me!

Special thanks to Kwan who has assisted with IT support to share the build images posted in the thread.

Last edited by kwanjangnihm on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:53 am

I'm just a simple AC guy but that bad-ass engine is giving me woodage for sure!! :toothy7:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Return to “Automotive Power Only”