Lock out timing

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Lock out timing

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:28 pm

I have found open board GM HEI modules that actually use the old real MSD board PSB where as if you purchase a MSD open board module today it is only putting out a single spark.

This won't last long another 6 months and these deals will be gone. Right now it's the Wild West of Asian auto technology being dumped into the U.S. Market. My advice is buy a few and put them away in a cool dry place. That will be money well spent if you build engines or are a gear head.

The H Beam rods we were getting for our 472/500 builds are already gone. They came out of the same foundry that SCAT came from and were identical except upon arrival to the U.S. the brand name was laser etched and the rods repacked. In fact the set we used in the 514 roller engine had ARP2000 bolts. Better than what the name brand H Beam was sold with. It's just crazy right now.

If your a Caddy guy do not buy the eBay shaft roller rocker set up for $400 they are poorly designed and don't provide a proper mounting system.

SWAMP out

Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Duff0113 wrote:Here's the one I picked up

How do i know which kind to get will the msd street fire fit all
My needs. Like have the best coil
And will it need the curve kit like i said im no mechanic the one he wanted me
To get he said was around $300 but idd happily spend $150
And get me some good 8.5mm wires the ones i have on now are 7's
14ft diamond back zz4 350 sbc 2:1 belt drive reduction with a 80 inch whirlwind prop powershift hub pitched at 4850

Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:58 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:I have tested several of these no name Chinese made billet distributors and their accessories. Four to be exact and every one of them came with a brass contact cap and rotor. The coils are advertised as 55k to 65k volt units and include a "high performance" control module. I have swapped modules, changed coils and played around with them. In my experience the value priced billet distributor, cap, rotor, coil and module were all great products. They ship in a plain white box which the brand name companies then insert into a fancy colorful box with their name on it after inspecting the item and putting their decal on the base. The ones I have seen you cant tell a difference.

The only negative I have observed was in setting the custom advance curve to Mr. Branches liking it required us to clean up with a small hand grinder the inside so the weights had a bit more room. The price savings between Accel and the unit I purchased off Ebay was over $200 and the Accel did not include a coil! If your not running up over 6,000 rpm the units are a real good value. Remember to verify any distributor has the correct type material on its gear to match your camshaft. We replace all roller cam engine distributor gears with the CompCams composite unit. The CompCam composite gear is compatible with all types of camshafts.

Again not all camshafts and distributor gears are compatible....be alert to this

Meant to quote this
14ft diamond back zz4 350 sbc 2:1 belt drive reduction with a 80 inch whirlwind prop powershift hub pitched at 4850

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:15 am

Is this mechanic a friend? It sounds like he is looking for a easy way out. When I do things for money I would rather get the parts myself. That way I don't have to tell the person he done messed up buying that.

Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:34 am

Kinda just meet him reccomend from some of the other guys around here that have airboats he does this on the side this isn't his full time job

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:30 am

No reason to run a locked distributor. Get the $75 new hei and put in the lightest or next to lightest springs. The lightest ones will retard timing during cranking and when the engine fires will sling the weights out and advance the timing for a easy start and good idle. Yes it will jump a Lil if you have a cam or if carb isn't set right but it doesn't matter. Full advance should be reached between 2600 and 3000 rpm which should b lower than your Cruz rpm for max fuel economy and power. Next spring up moves the advance 800/1000 rpm higher and the static setting will not change from cranking to idle. I jus gave a big hint to anyone with compression, a decent cam and hard starting (cranking)problems. If you operate ur boat with no concern for the life of the engine ie: continue to run it when it gets hot, then set total timing to 34/36° and carb set for max power (11.2 - 11.8afr). If ur one who pays a lot of attention to the engine and ALWAYS puts premium gas in the tank then 36/38° timing will make most power. If it gets warm you must cool it off immediately or detonation will destroy it.
If you operate the engine lean on an airboat I have found that a dropped valve, broken valve spring or busted ring land is in your future. Keep those cylinders cool with fuel and most likely the run-on when you kill the key will stop.
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade, 50" light bar, Two 9" light bars, some long ropes, extra gas(for my buddies)with pushpole and paddle. LOL

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm personally not a fan of locking out the timing they can and has been done I'm not so sure I would do it on a motor I own !
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Return to “Automotive Power Only”