Off season prep

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Off season prep

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Well hunting season is over won't. Be using the boat that much till September what are some tips to store it and when come time to use it won't have any problems or minimum. Such as type of fuel additive Ima plan on keeping tank full so moisture don't build up in the tank but also don't want 45 gallons of gas to go to waste
14ft diamond back zz4 350 sbc 2:1 belt drive reduction with a 80 inch whirlwind prop powershift hub pitched at 4850

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Off season prep

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Still going hear until turkey is over in May. After that i plan on rewire and rearranging the seats. Avgas can be stored all by it self for a year.
I would take it out for some fishing and riding every few months just to run it.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Auto fuel can stay a few months but after that it will start degrading. I have a bay boat run it every few months to keep it right.

Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Its hard to go burn 45 gallons at a time and I wanna keep it full so moisture don't build up
14ft diamond back zz4 350 sbc 2:1 belt drive reduction with a 80 inch whirlwind prop powershift hub pitched at 4850

Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 pm

It's not hard to burn that much gas just don't want to

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:38 pm

the gas will go bad nothing you can do about regular or the crappy e gas. So put a water separator on the fuel system. or run it on a week end every 2 months. go fishing

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:40 pm

I've been using a product called "PRI-G" (PRI-D is for diesel) for many years now. It's available at marinas, and many boat sales places.

I add it to all the fuel I use in my boats, motorcycle, and small engines.

I also use only ethanol free gas (since it became available) in everything but our autos, but PRI-G does keep ethanol from setting out of fuel, in addition to stabilizing the gas, cleaning and keeping carbon from building up, and keeping carbs and fuel injectors clean. It also does other stuff as well, but I can't remember it all.

True story:

Remember when we first started getting ethanol in our gas down here, but we didn't know it; because the stores had six months to get the signs up?

Several of my neighbors started having trouble with their boats fuel systems, engine components, and other stuff. It turned out that the ethanol they didn't know was in their gas was breaking down fuel lines, outboard engine components, etc.

My boat (15 years old now) had no problems at all, and is still running fine; because I was (my Daddy always said it was better to be lucky than good) using PRI-G.

It costs more per bottle than the more commonly used products, but is actually cheaper to use; as one ounce treats 16 gallons of gas.

I can let my boat sit for six months or more over the winter (200 HP Yamaha Saltwater Series outboard) and it'll start right up and run fine on the gas that's in the tank from the year before. Same with the little kicker for the jon boat, my chain saw, mowers, etc.

The airboat does fine, too, though it doesn't sit as long.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:17 am

Don't run regular gas in anything now for it is trash, use midrange or above or recreational fuel and the tank should be full if it is going to set for a while . Av gas, unless they make it different now can set for ever and still be fine. I've started airplanes that have set 14 years or more and flown them till I had to refill and they ran fine on the old gas.

Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Basin_Runner355 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 am

I run 93 octane no where in ma area sells non ethanol gas

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:54 pm

I run 90 octane ethanol free.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:43 am

Here I have some year old none ethanol gas I pumped out of my bay boat before I got a new motor. The fuel wont burn in the mower - or should I say the mower wont run on it. Its like the fuel looses it ability to burn or ignite. To use it, it will need to be mixed with new fuel just to get ride of it.

So like I say run it a little in the off season

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Basin_Runner355 wrote:I run 93 octane no where in ma area sells non ethanol gas
For what you are proposing, it would worth going out of the way a little bit to get real gas to start with. It looks like you can get some in either Loreauville or New Iberia.

Don't look to be to far, considering the grief it could save you . . .

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Automotive Power Only”