EcoTec Bad news/Goods news story

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
George-LandOLakes
Southern Airboat Member

EcoTec Bad news/Goods news story

Postby George-LandOLakes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:49 pm

I thought I would share with you all a situation that I'm in the process of fixing. I have a 16x7 cut down Marty Bray hull powered by a Chuck Rackley 1.8 Ecotec spinning a 2 blade WW Cypress Series propeller via a 2-1 Century Belt drive. Painterchic wrapped it in Real Tree Marsh grass with matching seats. Now that I've acknowledged all of the pieces parts and the people who provided them , herewith the story.

I was taking some friends out on a bit of a joyride on the Chass River when the bracket holding on the overflow bottle broke. Before I noticed it, the temp went up to about 260 degrees. When the bottle fell it broke a t-fitting and I lost a lot of coolant. Shutdown the motor and fixed the leak and refilled the radiator and continued on my way, keeping an eye on the temp. after cruising back towards the ramp, the temp was 160, but the oil pressure started to drop rapidly from 50 lbs down to 10 lbs at which point I shut her down. I checked the oil level and it was good but the motor made some loud noises as it shut down and she would not start again. I'm sure the motor is toast. That's the bad news.

Now the good news. I called Chuck who found me a motor with 22k miles on it. I picked it up for $600.00. A new coolant bottle will run about $35, Mobile one oil change and filter and one or two days labor to swap out the motor and I should be back on the water for about $1300-$1600!

And that's another reason I love my Ecotec. I blew it up (my fault) and for a reasonable amount of money, I'm back on the road again.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: EcoTec Bad news/Goods news story

Postby glades cat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 pm

That is a great luxury, to be able to buy an engine for so little money. The ecotecs are a great power plant.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Definitely one of the major points to consider when deciding what power plant to use. First time around the ecotec is potentially not much cheaper than a conventional build.

Second time around though when sht happens, way less $ pain!

Glad to hear you got back in safe and back on the water without breaking the bank.

I burned up a 2.0 in similar fashion from overheat. I now have the ecu setup to limit engine RPM based on oil temperature. I dont see how we will ever overheat again with this safeguard in place. I cant even leave the ramp until the oil temp comes up to a temperature that I set to avoid wear on the engine from too low oil temp. Max RPM will go from 6000 under normal condition to 260F. Once temp goes over 260, max RPM starts dropping automatically in a linear fashion with temp. By 330F oil temp, max RPM is only 1500. No way you can not notice that, so, engine stays safe. Again, can be adjusted however you want temp wise. Can have it dump max RPM straight to idle speed at 261F, or even something silly like 100F.

Anyway, thanks for the report!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 4B Falchon, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

George-LandOLakes
Southern Airboat Member

Postby George-LandOLakes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Russ,

Were you able to set the ECU up like that yourself? Very nice. I need to have that done too.

V/R

George

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Yes, I set the oil temp parameters myself using HP Tuners. You most likely have a Trifecta tune in yours. You cant modify that yourself as they lock the file and force you to pay them more $ every time you want to make a change.

You would need a new ECU and a new tune via HP Tuners, or pay Trifecta to make the change for you.

We are very fortunate to have an alternative to Trifecta these days. That option didnt exist until late last year.

Good luck!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 4B Falchon, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

George-LandOLakes
Southern Airboat Member

Postby George-LandOLakes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Russ,

Thanks for the info. Once I'm back underway, Ill figure out how to keep this from happening again...V/R

George

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

Yep 1.4L Turbo will only cost me about $700 if I blow it up! I have a Tri-infected locked tune but new ECU is sitting on my table ($40) and planning to start work with Jerry at Bad New Racing in the coming months since they offer so many bolt on mods for the 1.4L now.

Was down at Kissimmee all weekend and a few of them talked about your boat Russ and were asking about how much I had in mine.
2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

Return to “Automotive Power Only”