VW engines on airboats?

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
swamp_fever
Southern Airboat Member

Re: VW engines on airboats?

Postby swamp_fever » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Not sure this will help but i do know that the myakka rooster on this site has a VW motor 90 hp with a 2to1 gear reduction i figured with a 2 to 1 reduction he should be around a 180 hp its on a 11' glass boat an in will run dry ground just fine (scotty 1 well vouch for that as well

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:05 pm

papajack wrote:You might search some of cntry141iq posts for information on vw engines on airboats. He messed with them some years ago. Wish he was still around!

The Video I posted to this thread way earlier was cntry141iq, he sent me that video back when he was trying to sell his two gear boxes for VWs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Planeguy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:44 pm

I finally got around to watching the posted videos. That set up would be way better than anything dad ever owned. He has had bigger and more powerful but nothing better and it looks like it would be perfect for him to run up and down a sandy river a couple of miles solo and occasionally take a grand kid for a ride. In the 50 years, off and on, he has been playing around the river, I don't think he has ever owned one that would cross more than a wet sand bar and only then if he hit it fast enough. He is in his seventies and living off social security now so it needs to be affordable to run more than it needs to run dry although running dry would be a nice bonus because he could park it out of the water next to his duck blind.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Something to keep in mind is that a VW engine was never designed to spin .... they were happiest at around 3,600 rpm.
When you put a reduction on them then you're gonna be turning one a lot higher than that to get the prop speed you'll need.
That calls for a balanced, forged crankshaft and upgraded rods (to prevent case shift) or the engine will 'grenade' itself.

When you've done all of that you'll have as much money in it as you would have with a small run-out A/C engine, and without
the cost of a reduction drive. That's what Cntry141 found out, and why he abandoned the project.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Return to “Mini-Airboats”