Mini Motor Question/Big Enough?

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Mini Motor Question/Big Enough?

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:42 pm

New to the airboat industry and the wife says she would like a airboat but nothing to big so I thought about a mini.
Well I found this ultralight and I know the guy.
Motor-Rotax 502/3? 66hp? (Guy looked it up in the book he had).
Rebuilt w/10hrs on it. All complete but has been sitting. Dual carbs etc.
Guy wants 1k but it was given to him by a friend of mine so,,,,,
Not sure what this would push and I would like some comments please.
Two passenger - 400lbs let's say and maybe 15gal fuel.
Thanks for the help,
Jim.

Pics:

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Last edited by Rollbar1 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Mini Motor Question/Big Enough?

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Sent from my iPhone 4S

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby papajack » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm

PM sent

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:40 pm

This is only my opinion so please take what I see as just one man's thoughts. It looks like it's been sitting outside a lot because of all the rusty bolts and corrosion on the cases. There has to be a reason for that ...... why wasn't it run more? Why was it left out in the weather?
If you're a good mechanic and you approached this as a project that you could work on over time, cool. But from the photos it appears that it'll need some work, and Rotax parts are pricey. Just those throttle cables would probably cost you over $100 bucks Again in my opinion, on a lightweight 10' hull it would probably haul two people (no dry) and you should only need a 5 gal. gas tank for a day on the water. It has a gear reduction so that's a big plus ...... the prop looks pretty descent too. I'd just ask why it sat out so much. If you have to get into the engine that gets real expensive, real fast. Good luck!
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:50 pm

1,000 is a steal!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Where you located? If your close or want to come run mine you're more than welcome too! Need anything text me 580-554-8787

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Olf Art wrote:This is only my opinion so please take what I see as just one man's thoughts. It looks like it's been sitting outside a lot because of all the rusty bolts and corrosion on the cases. There has to be a reason for that ...... why wasn't it run more? Why was it left out in the weather?
If you're a good mechanic and you approached this as a project that you could work on over time, cool. But from the photos it appears that it'll need some work, and Rotax parts are pricey. Just those throttle cables would probably cost you over $100 bucks Again in my opinion, on a lightweight 10' hull it would probably haul two people (no dry) and you should only need a 5 gal. gas tank for a day on the water. It has a gear reduction so that's a big plus ...... the prop looks pretty descent too. I'd just ask why it sat out so much. If you have to get into the engine that gets real expensive, real fast. Good luck!

Well we agree on this one two strokes do not take well to sitting and it has a lot of corrosion forgetting all that my last air boat had a 120 hp engine and was a very light boat just not enough power with two people for me. Most of the mini or what I call mini air boats that can really go anywhere are super light and run one person. If you stay out of the grass you will be fine but make sure you turn that engine over and pull the plugs to get a bit better look. If it runs the price is nice. Take your wife out on a regular size air boat and that will fix her thinking or be like me and just get what you want maybe a little bit of this :slap: then finally :cheers: Before you get deep into cost take her out in a regular air boat. Where are you located?

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Caddellwelding wrote:Where you located? If your close or want to come run mine you're more than welcome too! Need anything text me 580-554-8787

Thank you, I'm in Florida.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Olf Art wrote:This is only my opinion so please take what I see as just one man's thoughts. It looks like it's been sitting outside a lot because of all the rusty bolts and corrosion on the cases. There has to be a reason for that ...... why wasn't it run more? Why was it left out in the weather?

Thanks Art, I didn't think of pulling the plugs. The prop spins. And the pricey part, Hum, I don't want to get in to deep, maybe a small car engine but the whole plane less wings are for sale and it is a twin seater with the frame/three tires etc. I can probably get him down to 7-800 bucks. He did say he ran 93 octane or a/c fuel so hopefully the carbs are ok. ??

I don't know anything about these motors-I'm a car guy when it comes to motors.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:33 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:

Well we agree on this one two strokes do not take well to sitting and it has a lot of corrosion forgetting all that my last air boat had a 120 hp engine and was a very light boat just not enough power with two people for me. Most of the mini or what I call mini air boats that can really go anywhere are super light and run one person. If you stay out of the grass you will be fine but make sure you turn that engine over and pull the plugs to get a bit better look. If it runs the price is nice. Take your wife out on a regular size air boat and that will fix her thinking or be like me and just get what you want maybe a little bit of this :slap: then finally :cheers: Before you get deep into cost take her out in a regular air boat. Where are you located?

Thanks, it was a twin seat ultra light and everything except the wing is there.
I did ask her if she wanted to go on a boat ride for he birthday and she said yes. I did show her some mini's out of wood and she said no, we need aluminum :D

I'm located in Floral City, Fl

Thanks again everyone.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Years ago I had some friends who had little 10' Lamb hulls I think with Continental A65 horse engines. They frogged and camped with their wives and love the boats. This was in the early 70s. Both had a 10 Gallon tank and would carry a 5 gallon can they would set out where they were camping or somewhere they know while out frogging. Both would invariably come back in with the can still full. Neither had poly but were steel flexed. It is amazing what you can do with a properly set up small boat.

I agree with the above two posts about 2 strokes and setting and rusting up. be careful, do a lit of inspecting and asking questions.

Now just my opinion, I would pass on this one and find a 10-12 foot light rigged hull with a 160 or 180, or even a decently built parts built 170 on it. Might take a few more bucks but for two people you sure have a lot more flexibility, with not a lot more fuel consumption. Thats my take anyway. I don't know the above boat or who is offering it to ya, So its just my take on what is posted. Either way, hope the best of luck for ya.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Whitebear wrote:years ago I had some friends who had little 10' Lamb hulls I think with Continental A65 horse engines. They frogged and camped with their wives and love the boats. This was in the early 70s. Both had a 10 Gallon tank and would carry a 5 gallon can they would set out where they were camping or somewhere they know while out frogging. Both would invariably come back in with the can still full. Neither had poly but were steel flexed. It is amazing what you can do with a properly set up small boat.

I agree with the above two posts about 2 strokes and setting and rusting up. be careful, do a lit of inspecting and asking questions.

Now just my opinion, I would pass on this one and find a 10-12 foot light rigged hull with a 160 or 180, or even a decently built parts built 170 on it. Might take a few more bucks but for two people you sure have a lot more flexibility, with not a lot more fuel consumption. Thats my take anyway. I don't know the above boat or who is offering it to ya, So its just my take on what is posted. Either way, hope the best of luck for ya.

Thanks for the info Whitebear and the rest of you as well. I'll check it out a little more and also some other HP/options but I would like a smaller boat (11'x6.5'/7'?? and some sides). I did have a guy offer one of his old boats, 800 bucks, 7'x10' flat deck skinny water only/fiberglass but it looked a little warn and one fiberglass stringer pulled away. He said he ran it for 3yrs and had a v8 on it.

Not sure what the 160 or 180 means-is that HP? If so then yes, I understand. If you are talking Rotax, then no.

Also, when I visited the guy w/the boat mentioned above, he had a few boats in his yard and had some v8's on them and no reduction drive gear-said I really didn't need it. So I'm taking all this in, never owned a airboat, nor driven one but I use to race and good w/my hands/coordination etc so I'm sure I can work up to the challenge and not start out to crazy etc.

Thanks again and I'll check out that motor a little more.
Jim

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Good info above!

If you are new to airboating, there are plenty of SA members who would be glad to give you a ride on their boat.

Look at as many boats as you can and make a good decision. Airboats are money pits, period!

You may find that you would like a completely different boat other than a mini. (camping gear, coolers, etc get heavy)

Good luck!! :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:24 pm

What ratio reduction on it?

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:26 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:Good info above!

If you are new to airboating, there are plenty of SA members who would be glad to give you a ride on their boat.

Look at as many boats as you can and make a good decision. Airboats are money pits, period!

You may find that you would like a completely different boat other than a mini. (camping gear, coolers, etc get heavy)

Good luck!! :rebel:

Thank you and agreed! :old_glory: :rebel: :florida:

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:30 pm

barhopper wrote:What ratio reduction on it?

I have no idea neither did the person (older gentleman). Is there a number on it? I looked but ,,,,

It also has a pull start/electric start.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Here is the tag that was above the motor on the frame. Not sure if this helps. One picture above in the post read Bombardier on the backside and Rotax on the other.

Reads:

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Yes the 160 and 180 are Horse Powers respectively and would be an O-320 or O-360 engine. The 170 is the HP and would be right in the middle but they are parts built engines not factory but that in itself doesn't have any negative connotation.

V8s are heavy and in my opinion unsuitable for the smaller or narrower boats.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:21 pm

I have two of those motors complete that look like new that came off new experimental helicopters . Their good engines but a little tricky to jet the carburetors so you don't seize them under throttle or coming down to idle, I've seen several seize that were improperly jetted and the people that owned them didn't pay attention to the cylinder temp gauges but when setup right they will pick up a one seat helicopter into a hover on an 80 degree day with a 230 lb. Man and full of fuel . I don't remember for sure but I think it is 10 more hp you can get from them with an expansion chamber exhaust system. I know you probably don't know much about helicopters but for that engine to do what I said is pretty .impressive . Hope this help a little.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Whitebear wrote:Yes the 160 and 180 are Horse Powers respectively and would be an O-320 or O-360 engine. The 170 is the HP and would be right in the middle but they are parts built engines not factory but that in itself doesn't have any negative connotation.

V8s are heavy and in my opinion unsuitable for the smaller or narrower boats.

Ok thank you Whitebear. :cheers:

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Lwells wrote:I have two of those motors complete that look like new that came off new experimental helicopters . Their good engines but a little tricky to jet the carburetors so you don't seize them under throttle or coming down to idle, I've seen several seize that were improperly jetted and the people that owned them didn't pay attention to the cylinder temp gauges but when setup right they will pick up a one seat helicopter into a hover on an 80 degree day with a 230 lb. Man and full of fuel . I don't remember for sure but I think it is 10 more hp you can get from them with an expansion chamber exhaust system. I know you probably don't know much about helicopters but for that engine to do what I said is pretty .impressive . Hope this help a little.

Yes thanks-great info and info about the carbs, I didn't know that. :)

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:42 am

Rollbar1 wrote:
Lwells wrote:I have two of those motors complete that look like new that came off new experimental helicopters . Their good engines but a little tricky to jet the carburetors so you don't seize them under throttle or coming down to idle, I've seen several seize that were improperly jetted and the people that owned them didn't pay attention to the cylinder temp gauges but when setup right they will pick up a one seat helicopter into a hover on an 80 degree day with a 230 lb. Man and full of fuel . I don't remember for sure but I think it is 10 more hp you can get from them with an expansion chamber exhaust system. I know you probably don't know much about helicopters but for that engine to do what I said is pretty .impressive . Hope this help a little.

Because none of us are able to actually walk up to what you're considering and lay hands on it, it's a little tough to give you the advice you're looking for. The Rotax engines are excellent powerplants ..... no question there, but I always see a red flag when somebody says that an engine has been rebuilt. By whom, and did he do it right?

I agree with the boys above. You might be better served to take a ride with somebody who has a boat and see how your wife takes to it. Then, if you're both still bitten by the fever, shop around for a good used 0320 or 0360 boat. It might cost a little more at the outset, but it could save you a ton of money and aggravation in the long run, and it would be a rig you'd be proud to run.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:49 am

Rollbar1 wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:

Thanks, it was a twin seat ultra light and everything except the wing is there.
I did ask her if she wanted to go on a boat ride for he birthday and she said yes. I did show her some mini's out of wood and she said no, we need aluminum :D

Thanks again everyone.

I maybe too far north from you but if you want to make the drive I will show you why you will want a small aircraft engine. I am near Orange lake

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:50 am

Olf Art wrote:
Rollbar1 wrote:

Because none of us are able to actually walk up to what you're considering and lay hands on it, it's a little tough to give you the advice you're looking for. The Rotax engines are excellent powerplants ..... no question there, but I always see a red flag when somebody says that an engine has been rebuilt. By whom, and did he do it right?

I agree with the boys above. You might be better served to take a ride with somebody who has a boat and see how your wife takes to it. Then, if you're both still bitten by the fever, shop around for a good used 0320 or 0360 boat. It might cost a little more at the outset, but it could save you a ton of money and aggravation in the long run, and it would be a rig you'd be proud to run.

Thanks, looking up the 0320 or 0360 boat info now. :proud:

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks again everyone.

I maybe too far north from you but if you want to make the drive I will show you why you will want a small aircraft engine. I am near Orange lake[/quote]

Thanks for the offer-super busy but maybe one day ,,,, :usa:

Return to “Mini-Airboats”