Mini Motor Question/Big Enough?

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Mini Motor Question/Big Enough?

Postby Whitebear » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:28 pm

I just moved a couple of Waterthunder engines into the Mini Forum. They were just announced today so they are still available but my bet is they won't last long, as there are some Gyro Heads here that might grab them for their flying machines. There are already some Subarus on airboats doing pretty good. Have to use the search feature to find the threads. Or better yet call Waterthunder (Dave) and ask him about them direct.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Rollbar1 wrote:New to the airboat industry and the wife says she would like a airboat but nothing to big so I thought about a mini.
Well I found this ultralight and I know the guy.
Motor-Rotax 502/3? 66hp? (Guy looked it up in the book he had).
Rebuilt w/10hrs on it. All complete but has been sitting. Dual carbs etc.
Guy wants 1k but it was given to him by a friend of mine so,,,,,
Not sure what this would push and I would like some comments please.
Two passenger - 400lbs let's say and maybe 15gal fuel.
Thanks for the help,
Jim.

Pics:

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Question, if I do purchase this engine/setup, can I use this prop or would I have to get another one for a 12'x7' boat? Use meaning, does it have enough meat to push or ?

Thanks a lot for all the help everyone,
Jim

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Whitebear wrote:I just moved a couple of Waterthunder engines into the Mini Forum. They were just announced today so they are still available but my bet is they won't last long, as there are some Gyro Heads here that might grab them for their flying machines. There are already some Subarus on airboats doing pretty good. Have to use the search feature to find the threads. Or better yet call Waterthunder (Dave) and ask him about them direct.

Thank you, I'll look for the posts etc.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Well I talked to the original owner of the Rotax and he said the motor was rebuilt by Lockheed in Sebring, Florida :D

Now to revisit the person who has it and see if she will turn over before I continue my engine search.

Griff
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Griff » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:44 am

that prop will push good looks like it has a good bit of pitch in it from pictures above it will perform
A lot better with a 4 blade to get the pitch around 10-11 degrees went through this on my Quicksilver ultralight it was like I added 10 hp by adding one more blade! You can chek the gear ratio of
Gear box by taking one blade turning it to straight up, down or across position marking that blade so you know where you started and take sharpie and mark the flange that you can see through hole on side of gearbox. Have someone turn prop slow and count how many times the mark on flange comes around. Those C boxes come in 2.62:1 3.00:1 3.47:1 and 4.00:1 ratios if it's above 3.00:1 just my opinion but I'd add another blade.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:38 am

Griff wrote:that prop will push good looks like it has a good bit of pitch in it from pictures above it will perform
A lot better with a 4 blade to get the pitch around 10-11 degrees went through this on my Quicksilver ultralight it was like I added 10 hp by adding one more blade! You can chek the gear ratio of
Gear box by taking one blade turning it to straight up, down or across position marking that blade so you know where you started and take sharpie and mark the flange that you can see through hole on side of gearbox. Have someone turn prop slow and count how many times the mark on flange comes around. Those C boxes come in 2.62:1 3.00:1 3.47:1 and 4.00:1 ratios if it's above 3.00:1 just my opinion but I'd add another blade.

Awesome, thank you for answering my question and thanks for the tip-I'll try it.
Jim

Griff
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Griff » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Actually that's a E box not a C sorry bout that.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Griff wrote:Actually that's a E box not a C sorry bout that.

Ok thanks, whatever that means. Different ratio?

Someone just sent me info on a Ecotec so I'm investigating that as well.

Crazy wife just got back, she made a special trip to buy a airboat magazine. I think she is getting bit by the bug as well. :toothy7:

Griff
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Griff » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 pm

E box can have different ratios as well but comes with electric start on gearbox and can not put slip clutch in it C box has no electric starter on it and can put slip clutch in it so prop dosent spin until
Motor gets to 2,400 rpms

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Griff wrote:E box can have different ratios as well but comes with electric start on gearbox and can not put slip clutch in it C box has no electric starter on it and can put slip clutch in it so prop dosent spin until
Motor gets to 2,400 rpms

Cool thank you,

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 pm

good friend of mine has a light 14' hull with that engine, i think it's a rotax, but it may be a hertz. it was on his ultralight until he crashed it in a sugarcane field. lol now it's on a airboat. it has electric and pull start, and a 3.something reduction unit. it looks like the one in the pic. it turns really high rpm's, being 2 stroke and all.

great little boat. it will run around with 2 people, 3 if they are not heavyweights. it does not like to run dry. it will get stuck in the water lillies when thy are bad. but, it's a great little boat for froggin, fishing, and riding around.

personally, i'd get a 160 or a gpu and have something that will run some ground, but that's me.

they been running the heck out of that boat going on 2 years now. no major problems.

good luck with your project!!

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 pm

jopete wrote:good friend of mine has a light 14' hull with that engine, i think it's a rotax, but it may be a hertz. it was on his ultralight until he crashed it in a sugarcane field. lol now it's on a airboat. it has electric and pull start, and a 3.something reduction unit. it looks like the one in the pic. it turns really high rpm's, being 2 stroke and all.

great little boat. it will run around with 2 people, 3 if they are not heavyweights. it does not like to run dry. it will get stuck in the water lillies when thy are bad. but, it's a great little boat for froggin, fishing, and riding around.

personally, i'd get a 160 or a gpu and have something that will run some ground, but that's me.

they been running the heck out of that boat going on 2 years now. no major problems.

good luck with your project!!

Thank you, Great Info!

I am am torn between the Rotax or a v6 on 12'x7'6". I would have to add a 4 blade prop on the Rotax to help out. So I'm still researching it. Some say go v8 while I'm adding cylinders but fuel etc and I think by sticking w/the length/width mentioned the v6 might work and cheaper to repair than the Rotax from what I hear. I have also heard about the thrust bearing on car motors when running direct drive, of which I will have to run due to funds.
Thanks for the help, I'm working on a solution,
Jim

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 am

If you keep the boat light enough it'll work just fine, I ran a 12ft alum Scully's built hull, had 1/8" bottom with .100" sides with slick bottom with a 582 rotax/gear reduc and a 5-blade warp drive and I could stop and go on flotants with that boat, was damn near a point and go boat with just one person and minimal hunting gear load, it was just beyond loud as hell

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:33 am

And here was another guy I hunted with that had basically the same setup as my except with the 583 on a 12ft glass Spyda hull, and it ran dry ground with two people easily
Attachments
image.jpeg

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:38 am

Awesome-Thank you. Looks like he had a 4blade prop. Do you remember if he have poly or slick bottom? In your opinion, and seeing I'm carrying 2people/load, what is your opinion on the two different props, 4/5 blade. Wife and I are getting older and I can have her getting out to PUSH :cheers: :violent1: :slap: :blackeye: :toothy7: LoL
Thanks again,

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:45 am

I had the 5 blade warp drive on my 12ft alum 582 Rotax setup, I could crank up and run dry ground with me and all my gear, food, ice chest guns and supplies and tools to run to the camp, probably about 300-350lbs including myself and with three coats of slick em on the bottom and 8" up the sides, crank up and go with no issues at all, stop and go on the flotants, that nasty floating marsh we have down here in La, it was a nice lil setup, use to run all weekend on a 12 gallon tank

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:55 am

Duckhunter_012003 wrote:I had the 5 blade warp drive on my 12ft alum 582 Rotax setup, I could crank up and run dry ground with me and all my gear, food, ice chest guns and supplies and tools to run to the camp, probably about 300-350lbs including myself and with three coats of slick em on the bottom and 8" up the sides, crank up and go with no issues at all, stop and go on the flotants, that nasty floating marsh we have down here in La, it was a nice lil setup, use to run all weekend on a 12 gallon tank

Awesome- Thank you very, very much. I'll be making a trip to see the guy w/the Rotax hopefully Friday and I'll go from there.

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:10 am

Just have to keep your' setup at light as possible, carry just the minimal necessity in gear, I'd look at one of Chucks Mini Pro hulls and do a single rear operator with a single passenger seat on the floor board setup, for the horsepower to weight ratio you get with these rigs when setup right they're really good performing rigs

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:35 pm

Duckhunter_012003 wrote:Just have to keep your' setup at light as possible, carry just the minimal necessity in gear, I'd look at one of Chucks Mini Pro hulls and do a single rear operator with a single passenger seat on the floor board setup, for the horsepower to weight ratio you get with these rigs when setup right they're really good performing rigs

Awesome-thanks. I'll have to google what your talking about and look.
Thanks again for the help.

P.S. Any video of the two boats running etc?

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:36 pm

My wife is looking up aluminum and I told her we want the boat 7' wide.

So I told her to get two smaller pieces and we can weld the seam to get our width.

Question, do you weld the center/seam to get your width? Or do you get one 5' piece of 6061 (or ?) and then weld two sides to that and bend it up (I don't have a break).

Just wondering how you go about that.

Thanks,
Jim

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:10 pm

When my dad built his deck over he welded two sheets together right down the center

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 pm

OK thanks, wasn't sure so I figure I better ask.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:26 am

Question, has anyone tried (after welding a center seam) to just roll up the sides to the desired height as one continuous piece?
Not sure if it can be done-but I guess it can if you have the people and jigs.

The chime will be rounded and to my thinking will not bite in a turn but you will slide more.

Am I missing something?

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Yeap, my dad use to weld two sheets right down the center, grind it down and fill in and then grind down until it looked as if it was one solid sheet and then he would weld two eyes on both sides of the boat and use a come-a-long hooked up to each eye and start pulling his sides up to the desired side height he wanted and then just put a false brace in to hold everything in place together while he laid out land welded all of his t-bars in place, this is going back a solid 20yrs ago.... But that's all we ever ran back in Maurepas swamp, was homemade alum smooth round chime deckovers or open hull boats
Attachments
image.jpeg

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Cool thanks for the info/tips. Nice looking boat.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”