NOS 4a084-4 Break-in Proceedure Question.

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

NOS 4a084-4 Break-in Proceedure Question.

Postby Rollbar1 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Question, is there a break-in procedure for a NOS 4a084-4 engine?

I know there is a procedure for CM but was wondering because when the 4a084-4 arrives I want to run it.

I looked through one PDF and I didn't see the info, only running it for many hours (see attached) but that might have been for the MFG to the Govt. for testing, at least that is what I'm lead to believe.

Thanks,
Jim

Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_7.png

airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Re: NOS 4a084-4 Break-in Proceedure Question.

Postby airjohn81 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:26 pm

i built the one i had a year ago an just took it easy on it first 5hrs.. changed oil an filter an then never went more that 75-80% throttle or wide open very short burst to get planed out till i hit 35 hrs... then gave that bi^%h hell from there on out.... never had a problem.. but please trust me when i say YOU MUST RUN AN OIL COOLER !!! MUST !!!
DAVID
:old_glory: :florida: :rebel:

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks David for the info.

I was planning on running a 15 or 19 row compact oil cooler unless you have another idea/vendor etc.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rollbar1 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:34 pm

I was looking at Brad Penn break-in oil and found this oil/additive:

Make sure you get the one labeled (Aircraft).

http://www.amazon.com/ASL-pt-CamGuar...S9KQQ002A83HWP

Product Description

CamGuard Aviation is a blend of high performance additives that fortify piston aircraft oils to provide the utmost in engine protection. Because of FAA regulations and costs, even the newest commercial aircraft oil technology is antiquated. It addresses the complex interrelated problems of corrosion, deposits and wear in air-cooled piston aircraft engines. Infrequent engine use leads to pitting corrosion on cam and lifter surfaces. This pitting causes rapid cam and lifter wear, or worse, catastrophic spalling. Current oil technology allows the buildup of deposits that leads to accelerated cylinder and ring wear resulting in decreased compressions and increased maintenance. CamGuard Aviation contains powerful multi-metal corrosion inhibitors that prevent rust and corrosion in infrequently used engines. It also contains powerful multi-metal corrosion inhibitors that prevent rust and corrosion in infrequently used engines.

---------------------------------------------------------

Aviation Oil

Phillips 66 - XC 20W50 Aviation Oil.

http://www.amazon.com/Phillips-66-20...A49YZNHCMM4SPC

Product Description

Phillips XC 20W-50 Aviation Oil is the first approved multiviscosity aviation oil for opposed piston engines. It provides better engine performance than any single-grade oil in all weather conditions. XC 20W-50 is formulated with an ashless dispersant package allowing for cleaner engine operation. X/C 20W-50 is recommended for break-in. It provides a cleaner and quicker break-in than traditional all mineral single grade oils. Plus, X/C®is an operational oil so there is no need to switch oils after break-in. X/C 20W-50 utilizes all petroleum base oils which provide excellent solvency and is successful in preventing lead and lead salts. Take advantage of X/C 20W-50's multiviscosity performance benefits year-round for easier starts and quicker flow of oil to critical engine parts.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”