Powered Paraglider Airboat

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Batflyair
Southern Airboat Member

Powered Paraglider Airboat

Postby Batflyair » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 am

Long time follower, first time posting. Rick Hallowes here in the delta region of California. For the last 16 years I have been flying and instructing folks in the sport of Powered Paragliding for a company called BlackhawkParamotors. I own and fly six different versions. I have been storing one of my older machines for 14 years for the purpose of mounting it onto a mini. The motor on this unit is a Verner Hellcat 360cc. This is a two cylinder opposed, dual overhead cam, dual carb putting out about 40hp.
3 years ago I became a member of the Gold Prospectors Association of America as I was bitten by gold fever. I live in the foothills smack dab in the middle of the Motherlode gold district. Many of the areas that I prospect are reachable by hiking along streams that would also be accessible by a mini.
I am 68 yrs old and its time to make getting to my claims easier. 6 yrs ago I mounted one of my rigs on a 11ft plastic Coleman Crawdad just to see if the conversion was possible. (see attachment) Did ok till about 15mph, but without proper steering setup, that was my limit. It is now time to find a lightweight mini around 12' ( new or good condition used) that I can mount my Hellcat on. Also, I would like to make contact with any airboaters here on the West Coast. As I am new to this, I would like to talk to folks and up for any suggestions.
I am located in Valley Springs, California. Look forward to hearing from yall
209-765-2559
caveflyair@yahoo.com
Attachments
ISE16 (4).JPG
100_2635.JPG
crawdad.jpg

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Powered Paraglider Airboat

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Is packing an inflatable an option?

Fly in and then inflate ?

Batflyair
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Batflyair » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:19 am

Inflatable would be a slow option. After setting up the green Crawdad on the lake, I am committed to finding a suitable new or used hull to mount one of my machines on. Primal need for speed and thrill factor. The prospecting aspect is only part of my venture. 30 minutes away is the San Joaquin Delta, over 1200 miles of interconnecting waterways and marsh land. I have flown to locations in the Delta to fish, but when it is real windy I am grounded. I'm hooked on setting up a mini to keep the fun factor in my life. EVERY DAY IS SATURDAY

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 am

Chuck Rackley 352-330-1015 - Tell him I sent you. Man has built minis, ecotecs, aircraft, and big power car motors. He is retired now and is a wealth of knowledge.

He will probably send you to Marty Bray to get a good glass hull for your toy.
2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:56 pm

I hear the Kevlar Bray process is light, not sure how one would fly usually we try to keep them on the down low...lol

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby papajack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:00 am

Might want to contact peariverpossum on here. Kenny Hughes and his dad are building a light weight aluminium hull for Rotax motor setups.
Last edited by papajack on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:38 pm

My dad is a instructor in okc, I took a 503 Rotax and mounted it on a hull I built. 39mph with two guys.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Mini-Airboats”