options and opinions needed.

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

options and opinions needed.

Postby swampfox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 am

O.k. here's the plan. I'm getting a predator Gore hull. Two single seats. Light rigging. I wanna compete ;) I'm up n the air and need some educated opinions. Power plant is either 520/540/SC540/SC480. No gearbox on either 540 or 480. I know sc motors r gonna burn a ton of fuel. Not worried on that deal because I gotta fuel sippin 235. Just trying to figure out if going supercharged will be worth the headache. What kind of props can these non geared motors turn. Ive seen what just a geared 480 will turn and I thought about that fer an option too, but I believe with that box it will be to long fer a Gore hull. Maybe wrong. What else should I expect with these supercharged motors. R they to heavy fer that small of a hull? I also noticed between a sc 480 and sc 540 that the 540 seems to accept an updraft carb from what I seen and the 480,s ive seen dont. Any comments or opinions r very much appreciated.
Last edited by swampfox on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: options and opinions needed.

Postby swampfox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:34 am

I forgot to add that if I do go supercharged, I will b requesting help from some of the great people of southern airport please.
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Why no gear box? You can spin a bigger prop and gain more thrust, also I'd suggest using continental fuel injection with 3 nozzles at the sc inlet after the servo.
I never finish anyth,,,.

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby swampfox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm

The hull is only 11'6 or 11'9 I believe .

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:09 pm

the gearbox will distribute the weight of the engine further forward which would benefit you on such a short hull, the weight displacement and the larger prop will probably give you more torque roll then you like though
I never finish anyth,,,.

12PSI
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby 12PSI » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Without the gear nose I don't think your gonna get much outta that supercharger. The faster you can spin that motor the more boost it'll make. I don't think mine will even make boost till around 3,000 RPM.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:52 pm

12PSI wrote:Without the gear nose I don't think your gonna get much outta that supercharger. The faster you can spin that motor the more boost it'll make. I don't think mine will even make boost till around 3,000 RPM.

X10!
I never finish anyth,,,.

O.P.M.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby O.P.M. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:42 pm

This is the most impressive boat I've ever seen... (No gearbox) unfortunately the man that built it is gone...
Attachments
image.jpg

12PSI
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby 12PSI » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 pm

O.P.M. wrote:This is the most impressive boat I've ever seen... (No gearbox) unfortunately the man that built it is gone...

I'm thinkin that prop's probably turnin a lot faster than 3 grand.

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby swampfox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:13 pm

12PSI wrote:
O.P.M. wrote:This is the most impressive boat I've ever seen... (No gearbox) unfortunately the man that built it is gone...

I'm thinkin that prop's probably turnin a lot faster than 3 grand.

More than 3000 is the plan ;) razors r my first choice. I am just trying to decide if it will b worth it without the gearbox so I can put it on a Gore hull vs putting either a 520 or 540. I believe it will do great, but kinda dont know what size prop to run on a sc motor with no box. Maybe Excalibur but dont know if they can take the r.p.m.'s I wanna twist it. Any size recommendation? # of blades. If I go this route, everything will b low in the boat, motor, seats, cage. Just trying to figure out if I'm going n a direction that will get me somewhere rather than no where.

NightRider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby NightRider » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:36 pm

JMO........but, I definitely wouldn't put a s/c engine on an 11'8" Gore. And I don't know why anyone would want a s/c motor without the gear for the reasons mentioned above. There are a lot of better hull options for that motor. Personally I would be talking to Lorne Hooker (Ricochet) about his hulls. Bronson (BlowinIt) has one and that thing seems to lay flat and get it! I would think that hull or one of Bobby's bigger hulls are a better option, even for a 0540 or 0520. I know a few of them over here in our neck of the woods got those Gores running, but remember...everyone that's really fast is carbon/fiber, plus they have been running them so long they know just how to work the bottom on them. We were at Polluted a couple of weeks ago and Wayne had his Gore thumping as usual, but it was right on the ragged edge! Bucking, darting, and diving like a PBR bull. Jeremy D. got out there in Chris C's. new Don Davis and put it on everyone that I seen him run, and it was running flat and free, and that's my point, like a stephull. I will be rebuilding my Gore soon, and I'm sure it will be quick, but if I had it to do over again I would buy something that is easier to make run flat and free (watch a Davis, Webb, or similar hull run). JMO!
IRAA, KRVSA, FAA.

NightRider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby NightRider » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:42 pm

And Fenner is right, WAY to much tourqe roll with a s/c motor for that hull. That is one reason everyone over here is running 70" props on them. I know, I know, that green #5 boat pictured above did it, and made it look easy. But that boat is the exception, and my favorite underdog ever. It took the bounty from the Ground Rattler back in the day (slower days) at least once.
IRAA, KRVSA, FAA.

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby keebo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Keep in mind the SC with gear is 5 feet long. I'd say you'll have about a 3' cockpit area minus bow cap.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

[b]I'd rather answer your dumb questions now then fix your stupid mistakes later

13x7-6 Hamant, air ride and a little ol 180

Return to “High Performance Talk”