Alcohol motor

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
makinwaves
Southern Airboat Member

Alcohol motor

Postby makinwaves » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:22 pm

My engine builder who drag races asked me why I don't convert the 383 to alcohol and ditch all the cooling system with horsepower gain. I said I don't know. You're my eng builder.
Makes it sound like a no brainer.
Anybody try this?

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Alcohol motor

Postby glades cat » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:06 pm

I got a friend that runs an Alcohol high compression engine mustang 5.0 1/4 mile. Lots of power. Real good supercharged. 8)
Better have two fuel tanks if it's gonna be a ride boat.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Jimmy M.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jimmy M. » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:28 pm

I run my Super Comp dragster on alcohol and I love it for that application but it wouldn't be practical at all for an airboat. You'd need a fuel tank twice as big as you're running now to have the same range (air/fuel ratio is roughly twice that of gas) alcohol is corrosive and can eat up fuel lines and unanodized aluminum fuel fittings, attracts moisture easily, and will not start worth a damn in cold weather unless the engine is already warmed up. Always have to prime my race motor with gas when I first get to the track. Other than that it's great! Lol. Motor will run nice and cool though and makes more power than gas in most applications.
13x7 Hamant, Chevy LS2, 2.68 Rotator, 79" Whirlwind WT EX Triple blade.

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Dirtman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:47 pm

And don't forget about the added maintenance. Oil changes after just about every trip out and always draining everything when it sits. I run Methanol in my little single cylinder engines and although I probably don't have them running as lean as possible because they are pretty much at wide open throttle 95 percent of the time, I have to change oil every time out and if you leave it in a fuel system it will eat the hoses and fittings like the previous poster said and if it sits long enough it turns into a nice jelly consistancy that clogs up everything
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

SDeatherage
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby SDeatherage » Mon May 04, 2015 7:34 pm

Jimmy M. wrote:I run my Super Comp dragster on alcohol and I love it for that application but it wouldn't be practical at all for an airboat. You'd need a fuel tank twice as big as you're running now to have the same range (air/fuel ratio is roughly twice that of gas) alcohol is corrosive and can eat up fuel lines and unanodized aluminum fuel fittings, attracts moisture easily, and will not start worth a damn in cold weather unless the engine is already warmed up. Always have to prime my race motor with gas when I first get to the track. Other than that it's great! Lol. Motor will run nice and cool though and makes more power than gas in most applications.

Everything Jimmy said is true. He is a drag racing legend and knows his stuff lol. Sorry Jimmy I had to. All seriousness it's not for the ride boat airboating application. If your strictly racing airboats then I would def be using it.
2016 14' X 8' Dyna Marine Revo powered by a TKE LS3 swinging a Sensenich 3 blade 81" R with a Ballistic 2.70 box. Fusion deck with 8.8 JL Audio speakers. Custom sea-dek on a Dakota trailer.

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Heard some good results from E-85, might be middle ground???
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Jimmy M.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jimmy M. » Mon May 04, 2015 10:19 pm

LOL! Thanks Steve, I've won my share but far from a legend....maybe a local hero. Lol. E-85 could be interesting in a EFI application where the fuel system is designed to run on it. Shane, that might be a cool project for Dyna Marine. A nasty LS on E-85 on one of your deckovers!

Jimmy M.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jimmy M. » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 pm

LOL! Thanks Steve, I've won my share but far from a legend....maybe a local hero. Lol. E-85 could be interesting in a EFI application where the fuel system is designed to run on it. Shane, that might be a cool project for Dyna Marine. A nasty LS on E-85 on one of your deckovers!

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Jimmy M. wrote:LOL! Thanks Steve, I've won my share but far from a legend....maybe a local hero. Lol. E-85 could be interesting in a EFI application where the fuel system is designed to run on it. Shane, that might be a cool project for Dyna Marine. A nasty LS on E-85 on one of your deckovers!

One of these days Jimmy...one of these days :twisted:
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Full Rut
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Full Rut » Thu May 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Jimmy is my HERO
14ft DB 2ft Rake 3/4 Deck Alum. Riggn 502BB 2.37Rota Sens. Fat Daddy

rbjscott
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby rbjscott » Sun May 10, 2015 1:49 pm

If E-b5 was available in my area I would an buildan "E-85" engine in a hart beat. Higher compression wakes an engine up.
"The price of Freedom is high! And the sound of Freedom is loud!" (Jet fighter pilot)

Jimmy M.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jimmy M. » Sun May 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Full Rut wrote:Jimmy is my HERO

Lol! Thanks Jason. Since you live near the racetrack you should come out one night when I'm running. Come out during the week sometime and I'll show you the race school shop and cars.

Full Rut
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Full Rut » Mon May 11, 2015 11:36 am

Just say when the boy and i will come out
14ft DB 2ft Rake 3/4 Deck Alum. Riggn 502BB 2.37Rota Sens. Fat Daddy

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:45 pm

With Alcohol you need to run much larger jets and in order to run pump gas again you need to go back to the smaller jets it really is a bit more difficult then that but as a reference your not going back and fourth day to day unless you have two sets of plugs and a carb change each time. It runs cooler but have you ever priced it? Alcohol is for racing only unless your pocket is super deep and you just don't care.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Well, I guess this is one thing the little ecoturd does well and very user friendly. Stock fuel system can run anything from 0 to 100% alcohol in any % gas/alcohol mix. It automagically changes the pulse width and fuel pressure based on what % it detects in the fuel, on the fly.

Can leave the dock with 52.3% alcohol, drop in a 5 gallon can of 93 pump in the woods and whatever % that ends up being will be accounted for.

I havent tried anything over 70% alcohol becuase the stock system runs out of fuel pressure at around 450 lbft of torque and sucks the rail dry on that concentration level.

So, anyway, my experience with "E85" blended fuel has been fairly positive. Gained about 150lbs of static thrust on the last test using it. Went from 1270ish to 1420ish with the 4 blade Falcon.

100% alcohol is a lot more expensive than "e85" too. But I have paid as low as $1.56 for E85. This weekend i paid $1.86. Pretty nice for a very knock resistant fuel. It has about equal detonation resistance to c16 race fuel (but not nearly as good preignition resistance). People like to loosely say it is 105 octane, but it isnt that simple.

Fuel economy hit from pure 93 pump gas was right at 20% less between 50/50 alcohol /gas and straight pump gas that is around 9.5% alcohol content already.

Cool topic! (Pun intended)
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 am

Well you got the name right ECOTURD :)

Return to “High Performance Talk”