Levitator 496 425-450hp

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
Ruccus25
Southern Airboat Member

Levitator 496 425-450hp

Postby Ruccus25 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Has anyone out there ever tried putting a super charger on 496 motor? Will it work? Or try to get anymore out of it? Or should I just sell it and put a mast 427 small block in it?

Thanks!

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Levitator 496 425-450hp

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 am

I have seen a few of them and most guys were not overly thrilled with their performance. They weigh 750 pounds and only produce 425 horse power and 505 torque. I don't think it would be wise to try and put forced induction on it personally. If it was mine and I was unhappy with it, my choice would be a nice hp big block engine with forged internals and aluminum heads. That should help shed a little weight.

That or consider a pro built LS3 and really cut off some weight.

How big and heavy is the boat?

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am

Don't even bother with the 8.1. There's only one place for performance parts and that's Raylar. Kits are expensive and no matter what you do, you can't get around the fact it's a heavy pig of a motor. I was always wanting something more out of my 8.1 but it helped me out by self-destructing. I replaced it with an LSA, which wasn't the best choice at the end of the day. My recommendation would be to get a purpose-built LS3. That motor will weigh nearly 300 lbs less, produce a heck of a lot more power than the 8.1 with every mod you could imagine, and be light-years more reliable. One thing you didn't mention is the size of your boat. If it's more than 15 feet, you may want to go with a big block. GTO/MAS would be a good way to go. 15 or less, stick with the LS3. Give Dave at Waterthunder or Shane at Dynamarine a call. They will hook you up.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 am

we have built 496bbc for airboats and made those HP numbers easy with steel oval port heads.if u do like swamperhunter says and liten up that motor 496 with alumn heads and alumn water pump and maybe some alumn H-beam rods u would be wright at about what a full steel block and heads of a sbc would weigh.and its all in the cam shaft u pick with that motor to wake it up.and maybe change it to a carbed motor if its Fuel injection never really liked those levitor motors. If u like plz feel free to call Rank High Performance ask for Michael 321-723-1567.hope this helps y all besafe.
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 pm

He's not talking about a stroked 454. He's talking about the 8.1 (496) metric motor. What you're suggesting doesn't exist for that motor. They're good motors if you leave them alone but if you want more power out of it, you're better off choosing another motor. If you absolutely must, here's the company you have to go to. You'll be hard pressed to find performance parts anywhere else.

http://www.raylarengineering.com/496mag-marine-performance-parts.html
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm

and yes thats what im suggesting.and from what link u put up yes he can stroke that 496 and put alumn heads on it and he can call ARP and order studs and bolt kit for his 496 8.1.if it was my boat i would build what u have strip all that levitor stuff off and carb and put hei dist and order a custom ground cam&lifters from BULLET CAMS and u would have one hell of a motor then. :rebel:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 pm

What ever you do with the motor, if you don't do anything else, get rid of the pistons. They're famous for breaking the ring lands and sheet goes down hill real fast. Speaking from experience. Good luck!

Ruccus25
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Ruccus25 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks for advice!
Ima go with a Ls3,418cu',small block. Think it's my best bet.
Running a 16x8 DB decked over

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:43 pm

A purpose built big block Chevy with aluminum heads etc. would work really well also in that application. I would suggest you speak with WT Dave on the LS3 as the boat is a 16ft decked over. That's sort of right at the point where a big block proves very useful.

Listen to Diggin he has been thru the exact scenario with a similar build. He has learned by doing it...lol

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:38 pm

If I had it to do over again, I would have seriously considered the all aluminum version of the GTO/MAS 540 BBC. I've never spoke to them about their motors but a friend of mine has their iron block 540 on his tour boat, 750 HP version and it's a beast, especially when you consider it's 19 feet long. The all aluminum runs about $5,000 more but weighs roughly the same as an LSX. Most likely, though, I would have stuck with an LS3, fuel injected. I like to be able to start and stop the engine with no headaches. Plus, the fail-safes built into the ECM really makes for some peace of mind. Yeah, yeah, yeah.... I hear you guys already. "What if you break down in the woods?" My answer to that is "That's what friends and tow ropes are for." ;)

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Ruccus25 Digginful is talking about my boat. MAS 540BB cast block is $16,000. The all aluminum MAS 540 is $20,000. If I remember correctly the all aluminum one is 468lbs with oil. My cast 540BBC is around 750lbs. My motor is now fuel injected. I can't wait to run it to see how different it will be from the carb. MAS also gives 2 year full warranty on their motors. In my opinion with a 16' boat you are better off with a BB then you are with a LS motor. People will argue with me on that but I can tell you from experience. I put over 500 hours a year on my boat.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

Ruccus25
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Ruccus25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Damn!!
Not sure what to do now.

Ok,what about going with a levitator 6.2 Ls3super charged?
I'm lookin to run dry ground,mostly marsh with this rig.
HELP ME OUT!!!!

Thanks

Ruccus25
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Ruccus25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Damn!!
Not sure what to do now.

HELP ME OUT!!!!

Thanks

Ruccus25
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Ruccus25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:40 pm

What about a Ls7 427ci,fuel injection,that bitch should go to the moon if need be. IDK

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:22 am

The big block makes more power with less stress on the engine. You simply can not make the torque with a small block platform that you do with a big block. The Blackwater boat is a awesome example of this. If you ran the engine platform they utilize you would be well served and can go anywhere. I run a 542 Cadillac on my 16 Gulf boat because a larger or heavier boat needs the ass a big engine produces.

You would run the balls off a small block where the big block would be under a medium stress load.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:34 am

That's a heavy boat go with a BB If you do go with a gto engine there is no doubt it will impress you MAS builds great engines but not cheap.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:09 am

Ruccus25 wrote:Damn!!
Not sure what to do now.

HELP ME OUT!!!!

Thanks

I put essentially the same engine (Marine Power rather than Pleasure Craft) on my boat after the 8.1 killed itself. It was not the best decision. In both cases, they take an automotive engine and 'marinize' it. The LSA has two things going against it right out of the box; pistons and rods. Strong enough for the occasional full throttle run in a car but not made for the constant high stress of turning a big prop pushing a heavy boat. My LSA already went back to the factory for a total rebuild under warranty. Fortunately for me, they agreed to re-assemble it with forged components if I supplied the parts. Went with Diamond Pistons and Callies rods (kept the factory forged crank) and now have pretty much a bullet-proof engine, if they ever send it back (I've been without an engine on my boat for 3 weeks shy of a year - thank God I have two airboats). I'll reiterate what I said before - no matter what animal you buy, BBC or LS, buy a purpose-built engine. You'll pay more upfront but be much happier in the long run.

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:52 am

go with bbc and order a dart 632ci block and don't go cheap on ur bottom end.go with alumn H-beam rods some real good pistons and rings and call bullet cam shafts and have a special cam ground and lifter to match and a real nice alumn waterpump and a quick fuel dual feed mech secondary.and u will be saving money and have a nasty 632ci bbc he!! On pump gas 87octane well over 600hp and trq easy.so if u want to move that barge that combo will work and be very reliable.hope this helps with ur thoughts ur kicking around. :thumbleft: :rebel:
Attachments
IMG_17401.jpg
Last edited by 406 JAMIE on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruccus25
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Ruccus25 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks! Give me the too you highly recommend?
It's definitely being built with top grade stuff from a machine shop. Lmk!! Thank you!

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

ur welcome sir.we do airboat motors all the time.
Heres a 588ci bbc dart steel block for a mud truck that my lil brother is doing. :thumbleft: i had a 13'6x7'6 deepsided diamond back heavy old boat when i took 350ci 330hp off the boat and put a 414ci bbc all steel block and heads oval port we made 500hp on 87 pump gas 7-11 special lol wow what a nite and day difference.i hope this helps u save some money and get a bad a$$ bbc on ur boat.ty for ur time sir. :rebel:
Attachments
IMG_26661.jpg

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 pm

You can run a MAS 509 BB and still do what ever you want with the boat. You can always PM Oldmanjones on here and he will give you insight on the different MAS motors. He is running 3 different ones on his boats right now. Word of advice you don't want to run 87 octane in anything you run even if it is capable. 87 octane has a higher rate of ethanol and is the bottom of the barrel crap. If you can't afford 93 octane then you shouldn't own an Airboat in my opinion. You definitely want a good bottom end but don't forget your heads are just as important. Airboat motors are totally different then any other motor build. Make sure you go with someone that is proven in an airboat application. If you don't listen to anything else listen to me on this one, spend the money the first time on a great motor because if not and you try cutting corners it will cost you 3 times as much in the long run. If you want, call and talk to Mike at MAS he will tell you everything you need to know and answer any questions you have. His number is 715-273-5027. If he doesn't answer leave him a message and he will call you back. He is a busy guy because he still puts his hands on every motor he builds. You are doing the right thing by asking all these questions and trying to get it right the first time.

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm

ladyblackwater.87 octane is crap lmao .and if u can not afford 93octane u should not own a airboat. wow i see y u and the fool hang around each other lmao DEEP POCKETS.and u r totally wright about asking all these questions :thumbleft:.but to say that about 87 octane if u can not afford it u should not own an airboat is sooo wrong in soooo many ways sir idk u but i and alot of others on here really like that idea of filling or tow rig and boat at the pump on 87octane and if u can get good hp&trq numbers on that crap 87 as u put it then i think u did ur home work.y all besafe . :thumbleft: :rebel:

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:32 pm

I figured you would say something about what I said. I can't help speaking the truth, that's how I was raised. You want to talk about me spending money? I run 93 in everything I own because I don't want to spend more money then I need to. You know the old saying.....Pay now or pay later? If you spend .20 more a gallon now it's a lot cheaper then paying $1000s later. If 87 octane is so good then why don't they make Rec. Fuel in 87 octane. I know more then 1 person that hauls fuel for a living and they will all tell you how crappie 87 octane is and how much ethanol they put in 87. They put more ethanol in 87 because more people purchases it.The more ethanol in the gas the more gas you use and the more they sell. You are living in the old days when fuel was good. I'll use my 1 truck as an example, it is rated to run on 87 octane but I've ran both 87 and 93 in it. I actually save money running 93 because I get a lot better fuel economy then on 87 and at 200,000 miles still running strong. I guarantee if you take 2 exacty the same pieces of equipment and run 1 with 87 and 1 with 93 the one with 93 will out live the one running on 87. I've had to prove this to a bunch of people and I've always been the one that is right. Again if you can't afford $10 dollars more to run better fuel then there is a problem. Airboating is not a cheap lifestyle. Why would you spend the money for a lower Hp and Torque motor running on 87 when you can take the same size motor and spend $10 more on fuel per tank to have more power and a better running motor?

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Ladyblackwater, what truck do you have? Year/make/model?

Just curious.

Thanks!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:47 pm

406 JAMIE wrote:go with bbc and order a dart 632ci block and don't go cheap on ur bottom end.go with alumn H-beam rods some real good pistons and rings and call bullet cam shafts and have a special cam ground and lifter to match and a real nice alumn waterpump and a quick fuel dual feed mech secondary.and u will be saving money and have a nasty 632ci bbc he!! On pump gas 87octane well over 600hp and trq easy.so if u want to move that barge that combo will work and be very reliable.hope this helps with ur thoughts ur kicking around. :thumbleft: :rebel:

This right here explains my answer. 632ci BB on 87 octane with only just over 600hp. When you can get a 540ci BB on 91 octane putting out over 750hp.

Return to “High Performance Talk”