Strongest brand of slick bottom

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
elChupacarburetor
Southern Airboat Member

Strongest brand of slick bottom

Postby elChupacarburetor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:32 pm

I've seen several brands of slick bottom around. Seems like Quick Slick, Frog Spit, Owl Sh!t, Goat Eye Juice and N!##er Snot are just a few brands I've seen.

I run a lot of dry ground but just grass and sand. I stay off the rocks, stumps, cypress knees and stuff. I don't want to use poly because it makes a boat drive like a barge.

I just want to know what lasts the longest on the old slick bottom glass boat.
12' Gilileo / Lycoming O-360-A1A / 72" 3-blade Sensenich Saber

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Strongest brand of slick bottom

Postby gatorfrog2 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:08 pm

Oh man here we go AGIAN. :happy1: I think a lot has to do w/ how it's applied. Cure time etc. Polyester vs. vinyl ester resins. I know I wore threw GATORGLIDE in 1-2trips to the river. Grass sand etc. Nothing harsh. Switched to SUPERSLICK2000 an I beat the CRAP out of it. Mangrove roots, limestone rocks etc. That's the only thing that scratches it. Grass makes it SLICKER. BUT. I have a stainless steel bottom. I think Fasco has the best stuff that will adhere to stainless. BUT prob gonna give QUICKSLICK a try next time an see how it holds up. :stirpot:
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 pm

i've used the superslick from Fasco. it's pretty good.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Call Brian at Quickslick 863-581-9710. Give him a shout!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2012 12'-6" x 7'-6" Hamant with a SV 540 & NGQ's

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gangreen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Quentin Moore. Who has his recipe?

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 pm

steelflex superslick 2000 from fasco is by far the toughest ive tried gallon for gallon its a lil pricier but you get what you pay for in my opinion
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:36 pm

I have quick slick and so far it's great. Everyone I talk to says it's the stuff to have.

BUSHHOG85
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BUSHHOG85 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:42 pm

elChupacarburetor wrote:I've seen several brands of slick bottom around. Seems like Quick Slick, Frog Spit, Owl Sh!t, Goat Eye Juice and N!##er Snot are just a few brands I've seen.

I run a lot of dry ground but just grass and sand. I stay off the rocks, stumps, cypress knees and stuff. I don't want to use poly because it makes a boat drive like a barge.

I just want to know what lasts the longest on the old slick bottom glass boat.

If you run a lot of sand you may as well throw a few hundred bucks down the shitter cuz none of it will last.
SC 480 13x7'6 HAMANT
520 13' RICOCHET

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:47 am

Wearlon made by Wet Lander. I love the stuff and the company is very responsive.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:51 am

BUSHHOG85 wrote:If you run a lot of sand you may as well throw a few hundred bucks down the shitter cuz none of it will last.
Here, I was going to say that sand would be the nemesis of anything you choose, but direct and blunt may better convey the point. :D

In any case, it's the price to be paid to avoid that "barge like" bottom. :lol: :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Postby HAMMERHEAD » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am

Epoxy products will always be tougher and bond better. All wil require proper preparation for best bonding. The slickest will be the subject of debate for a long long time, and a lot of the professional advice you will get on this site will vary depending on what area they are from and who they are friends with.

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:15 am

I have heard really good things about the Wetlanders longevity. I believe it is a basecoat / topcoat process instead of a single application.

I have quickslick on my mudboat and it has started chipping off after less than 3 months of occasional use (mostly running ice), but IMO it is by far the slickest stuff out there so its a trade off. And its easy to fix the places it chipped off, just rescuff/grind, clean and reapply.

Bottom line, its all in the prep.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

coopb6
Southern Airboat Member

Postby coopb6 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Fasco steel flex super slick 2000. Lasted a year on my boat and is slick as hell.

elChupacarburetor
Southern Airboat Member

Postby elChupacarburetor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:08 am

I'm going to try the Fasco Steel Flex. We'll see if it lasts longer than the Columbian Black Market Yak Piss I had on there before.
12' Gilileo / Lycoming O-360-A1A / 72" 3-blade Sensenich Saber

John.obryan
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John.obryan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Elchupacarburator, how'd the steelflex hold up? Just bought a Gilileo 12' av 0540 with old frog spit that needs to be redone...wondering which product to go with?

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 am

GeeLeDouche wrote:I have heard really good things about the Wetlanders longevity. I believe it is a basecoat / topcoat process instead of a single application.

I have quickslick on my mudboat and it has started chipping off after less than 3 months of occasional use (mostly running ice), but IMO it is by far the slickest stuff out there so its a trade off. And its easy to fix the places it chipped off, just rescuff/grind, clean and reapply.

Bottom line, its all in the prep.

If your quickslick is chipping off either you put it on aluminum or the wrong way I had quickslick on my last boat done by Jimmy White you couldn't get that stuff off if you wanted to. It never cracked even after dry loading the boat many times to pavement.

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Postby HAMMERHEAD » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Anything epoxy based will be stronger and stick better! Period. Prep is important with any of them!

Return to “Airboat Tech”