Aluminum hull paint

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
TmacE59
Southern Airboat Member

Aluminum hull paint

Postby TmacE59 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Hey I'm looking to paint my full deck soon. I'm just seeing what everyone is using for aluminum hulls, looking for it to look good but more importantly stay on! I'm going to try and color match the deck with raptor liner, anyone ever do that? And I want to color match my motor, I've read I can use what ever paint I use on boat, opinions? It's a SBC
Thanks

TmacE59
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Aluminum hull paint

Postby TmacE59 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:41 pm

No g
o? Lol

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:01 pm

All craft 2000
It's not cheap but it great paint and easy to work with.
"Success Requires No Excuses"

swampjunkie
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swampjunkie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:57 am

DuPont Imron. Expensive yes, but holds up to years of abuse. Make sure you use a good primer as well.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:35 am

DuPont™ Variprime this is not cheap but will keep the paint on.

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby JCGator » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 am

I used Sherwin Williams Kem 4000 enamel on my sled after searching on this forum and it turned out pretty good. I did this on my hunt boat in Hunter Green and I am happy with it. I forget which primer I used but I just told the guy at the Sherwin Williams Commercial store what i was doing and bought what they recommended.

from their website:
"KEM 4000 is a high solids, gloss, VOC-compliant, general purpose acrylic alkyd enamel coating intended for industrial applications. It is ideal for interior or exterior applications, the refinishing of industrial, construction, and agricultural equipment, as well as a wide range of general metal applications."
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Sherwin-Williams Kem 4000 is a metal finishing enamel for machinery, not an automotive type enamel. As such, it performs similar to "Imron" type products. Not equal, but similar. The benefit is the cost. Significantly cheaper due to the market it is targeted to. Gals vs pints etc..

If you are interested in more info on SW metal finishing enamel or other SW systems(epoxies, 2 part polyurethane...) PM me. I know more than I ever wanted too. If you go into the Melbourne Commercial store, ask for Marshall, he is a great resource.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 pm

JCGator wrote:I used Sherwin Williams Kem 4000 enamel on my sled after searching on this forum and it turned out pretty good. I did this on my hunt boat in Hunter Green and I am happy with it."

JCGator can you post a photo of your sled? Would like to see the hunter green color - thanks! :thumbleft:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

JPerkins323
Southern Airboat Member

Postby JPerkins323 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 pm

ImageImage

This is Nason full-Thain. It's made by DuPont but it's there cheaper version. The blue paint is mixed with webbing solution and shot at a low PSi to make the splatter effect. You can't go wrong with anything DuPont. But awlGrip from what I hear is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"BUZZ KILL"

12x6.8 .090 thousands 1/2 deck hunt boat with .125 backup plates and a lil' sheet of stainless. 0540 s/v spinning 5 blade sabers.....Ready to party.

Built by D&E Metal works in Homestead, FL: (786) 412-9018

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:38 am

Very very nice looking boat!!

Return to “Airboat Tech”