High School Airboat Build II

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

High School Airboat Build II

Postby CWAIS » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Here we go again, High School Airboat Build II has begun. One big difference this time is we will be building our hull right at school. This boat will be a little lighter than the last one (1/8” all the way around). I found an EA81 Stratus engine with redrive and prop this past summer. I talked with Daryl Heinemann from Warpdrive Propellors about trading a puller prop for a pusher prop. The prop came with a hub that did not fit the redrive so when I mentioned that to Daryl he just mad one up and sent it with the prop WOW!!! Thanks Warpdrive!

I know this engine is only around 100HP but it was what I could afford. 180HP would have been great but it is what it is. Not sure how we are going to mount the engine, we might have to attach the rear mount to the redrive. Maybe someone from SA will have some good ideas when we get to that point. Last year, at the end of the school year, one of the girls in my class welded up the leveling table for our hull build, it turned out great! Some of the guys from class this year made up a “T” that fits onto a hydraulic jack to hold the “T” bars down flat when we weld them.

We got ahold of a couple of sheets of 5052-H32 aluminum .125 thickness to use for the hull. I made a call to Jake Tupper from Gale Marine in Trempealeau, WI. Jake helped us lay out our bends and cut lines for the bottom and two side pieces. Jake is making airboats full time now from his new shop in Trempealeau. So we got all our lines laid out to be bent and cut. We found a local fabricator to bend them up for us but ran into a problem when they got really busy and our sheets sat there for 8 weeks. They felt really bad but I had to go and pick them up and find someone else to do our bending. The day before I was to pick the aluminum up one of my students from the 1st Airboat build stopped into school, he was home on a break from college. I told him what was going on and he said let me call Andy Ladwig at Robbins Manufacturing in Fall River, WI. He did and the next day I picked the aluminum up and delivered it to Robbins. We now have our aluminum all cut and bent for my students to start welding. Thank you Robbins Manufacturing for working us in.

This school year my crew is much smaller but I think they will do a great job! I hope you all get a chance to enjoy our project updates!

Chuck Wais
Technology and Engineering
Rio High School
Rio, WI

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Re: High School Airboat Build II

Postby CWAIS » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:05 pm

We had to extend our bender out so it wasn't so hard to bend the T bars.

Bending up the T bars

Our leveling table

Right side of the boat all bent up

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Hey Chuck. It was great following your last build with your students. That was a great accomplishment and one they will never forget. Good to see you're back at it again. Your students are fortunate to have you as their teacher. Anticipating another great build project.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bkmail » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:48 am

Will be watching this thread also. Sure appreciate all the pics and details.
Your students are very fortunate to have such a great teacher.
Look forward to the progress.
Bk
18' Alumitech, 502 BBC, 4 blade Master Blaster, Skip built

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:27 am

wow I'm looking forward to watching this one again, the last one was fantastic and maybe this time I can come up and teach a class on
Airboat operation and driving that would be fun
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby JT540 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:17 am

should have contacted me chuck I would have like to have been a part of this again. if not with a motor at least I could have maybe supplied some parts.
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Here are some pictures from today. I had three students weld today, all welding aluminum for the very first time. All the welds may not have been perfect but the learning experience was awesome.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 am

Chuck what is your background? I am amazed at your ability as a teacher. You must have a great relationship with your school administration because it looks like they are supportive in your classroom needs. I had shop classes in high school in the early 70s but nothing like what you do. I tip my hat to you for getting young people interested in using something other than a phone.
I too hope you keep the progress posted as I enjoy seeing what you and your students produce.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:53 pm

Today went well, we got the T Bars all welded up with three new welders. We braced up the the front bottom as you can see in the pictures, maybe standing on a couple of T Bars to get them flat. I know some of them look up off the bottom but they are all down tight. The one picture you can see how I start the welders out, my head on what ever side their head isn't and talking to them the whole time ( it seems to work ). Our next job will be to bring the outside straps up, mark them cut the inside marked line, line them back up and weld them up. We will have to wait a couple of days because our FFA group has their fruit sale boxes coming in and they will be using our shop to organize all their orders.

ImageImageImageImage

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:29 am

I wish I would have had a shop teacher as gifted as you and a shop that well equipped when I was in High School
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:45 pm

glades cat, bkmail, Sniper, JT540, Gary S Thanks for all the comments. Gary S I'm just a Tech Ed teacher that loves a challenge. I don't want my students to be scared to try new things. When students leave my class on graduation day I want them to feel comfortable going into their next adventure in life whether that means the work force or their next step in college. Most of what I try to teach is life!
Our administration and school board is very supportive. Rio high school is very small and money is hard to come by here in Wisconsin. Most of the equipment in the shop has been donated by business in our area that have upgraded their equipment or through grants. During the summer I go around to business with my trailer and pick through their scrap bins for metal. Students use this metal for practice welding and don't have a fee for practicing.
Most of these bigger projects come out of my pocket, even the leveling table. I have a small call making business on the side ( Duck, Goose and Turkey Calls ) that helps support these projects. So I guess I'm just a teacher trying to make the best of my job.
Oh Sniper and JT540 we might just be taking you up on your offers soon.
Thanks
Chuck Wais

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 am

OMG you are one dedicated teacher and I wish there were more like you, the personnel sacrifice you are doing leaves me speechless, when you get that boat done or close to being done let me know I will be more than happy to come up there and give your Students and you and Airboat operations class since I am a certified U.S Department of interior Airboat operator instructor and it will be on my dime and no charge to you :old_glory:
DOI Airboat Instructor

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:22 am

Keep up the good work, You are what makes America great.

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby gobblerD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Really cool to see. This is education that will matter later in life.

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Postby rdb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:14 pm

I wish a could lay a weld down like that kid did. Nice looking welds.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:35 am

young eyes steady hands and a great teacher makes for nice welds
DOI Airboat Instructor

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Well school got out early today on account of a snow storm coming in ( 10 to 12 " by the end of tomorrow) but we got a little work done before the kids got let out. The edges along the front bottom of the boat got welded up and the sides got bolted into place.

These four guys waiting for the bell to ring.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Moving on!!! We got the sides welded to the bottom on Monday. Tues we started by cutting out a transom piece that fit the bottom or how we wanted the bottom to look. This group of guys got the transom all tacked on to the bottom and side pieces. They put some angle iron on the transom piece to help keep it straight during welding. Then the bottom outside and all of the inside of the transom got welded. Our next project was to figure out how to cut a slot 12' long in a 1.5" dia. alum. pipe. The slot needed to be 5/32" wide to slip over the sides to make our gunnels. I called Mike Ives at his welding shop in Wyocena, WI for some ideas and he came up with a plan for us. We took 2 pieces of tubing 12' long held them together and tacked a piece of 1 1/4" angle on top so they could not roll when going through the table saw it worked like a charm. A good week so far, now to figure out the front deck and then cut down the sides. Here are some pictures.
:banghead: I will have to add photos later my computer is being a pain!!!!!

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:22 am

this looks more like a deep water hull and bigger than the last boat, great work
DOI Airboat Instructor

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Sniper
It will have 23" sides and 20"s center of the transom. It will be very close to the last one but a little shorter and lighter.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:34 am

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Well we were trying to think of a way to make up a nose cone for the bow of the hull. I talked to Jake Tupper from Gale Marine and he said if I wanted to drive up he would make one up and donate it to the build Thanks Jake it looks great. Here are some pictures from this week.

ImageImage

We also got the gunnels all cut out and they are ready to be welded.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 pm

A few more pictures from today.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Happy New Year Everyone. We got a lot of little stuff done today here are some pictures.

We are not working tomorrow, Thanks for checking us out!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!!

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Well we got the cage mounting pads welded up, students started making an engine stand to hold the engine while making the seat and engine stand for the hull. Transom gussets got bolted in and a couple of the engine mounts got welded up. The boat was flipped over so we can start welding the seams

Return to “Airboat Tech”